Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Happy 2021 !!!

Author Topic: DC animated original movies  (Read 17522 times)

Offline HarryTrotter

Re: DC animated original movies
« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2021, 01:39:58 PM »
IIRC both Gotham Adventures and the recent The Adventures Continue did their own versions of Under The Red Hood. Funny that two sequel comics did the same thing. Or not,since its kind of an obvious route to take.
I mentioned Azrael and Deathstroke before. Thou I could really do without Slade for a while.
I was trying to remember villains introduced after 2000 or so. I know Morrison threw in like 50 new ones in Batman #666...but not a whole lot of then with staying power,it seems. Flamingo,anyone?
Huh,they never did Black Mask...that's a obvious shoe-in.
Again,serialization doesn't mean it has to be 24; you can have separate cases and still have plots carrying over from an episode to the next one. Or idk,have conspiracy and standalone episodes like X-files or Ghost In The Shell.  :)
As for allies,I would be fine with either approach. I would like a few team-up episodes with the broader DCU.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

• Snoopers Gonna Snoop
« Reply #211 on: February 06, 2021, 02:11:17 AM »
They're airing JL vs the Fatal Five tonight, and I've got it on right now. It's still a nice, cozy little movie, but I wanted to take the opportunity to share this.

I knew full well the next time I watched this, I was putting this on after the first scene or two.

If they ever do a revival of JLU as a tv show, and I sure hope they do, I don't want a remix or a quick logo on black. I want a variation on this every week.

So rewatching it, I guess I'm right back to last year. Because I'm once again writing my notes as I go.

I double checked Jessica Cruz's page on the DC wiki since I'd forgotten (I'd read Johns' run of JL years ago and forgot the details) and I can now appreciate that Jess' origin story and the cause of her anxiety is directly based on the comics. That's a nice touch.

I'm...iffy on Wonder Woman attacking Jess in order to motivate Jess into action. I get the result she was going for and no doubt she wasn't going to actually hurt her, but I'm unable to decide if I think it's in character for WW, even the often agitated and less compassionate Diana of JLU this is partially based on a Geoff Johns story, and Johns was known for making WW especailly aggro. If I had to guess, I'd say having the returning voices helps make things feel consistant, whether they actually are or not.

Miss Martian's still the best in this. I was worried there weren't any more great lines from her that I'd forgotten in a year. There are. Yay.

"I'm Miss Martian, jacka$$".

I also have to take back something I said back in December. The "lunatic" Batman was bringing into Arkham wasn't Starboy, it was Bloodsport, a very violent, very deranged conspiracy nut. Criticism withdrawn.

I still don't like that 1) Starboy's in Arkham and 2. That Arkham looks more like an actual hospital than it's ever looked in anything ever because they want to mush real life in with the superhero stuff in an attempt to make it work. Arkham is where you put people like, well, Two-Face, Harley and Ivy, who actually appear in this movie. Starboy's powerful and erratic, but he's hardly a Batman villain.

*Batman says he dropped off Starboy 10 months ago*

Wait....10 MONTHS? What was the entire cast of this movie DOING for almost a YEAR?

*Fatal Five introduces themselves* "and this is...."

WW: Dead Man Walking?

Don't remember Diana being so kill crazy in JLU. It's been a few years since I've seen the first two Justice League seasons, maybe if I watched them again I'd think differently.

Going back to the original announcement of this movie, they wanted a team of distinctive villains, hence the Fatal Five. And you know what? I didn't originally comment on them at all, but they are good villains. It's fun to watch the JLU fight these guys, especially since this being a movie and not just three episodes of the show means there's presumably a bit more money to spend and/or lead time and thus the animation has a noticeable amount more gusto. Batman also looks especially well drawn in this, with nice detailing on his cape.

Here's another thing that's bugged me. What kind of fast food chain sells PUDDING with a burger and drink? The only reason they did that was for the "Arkham had pudding" gag. Just something that bothers me.

Miss Martian: "Flying cars. I guess the movies got something right." Gosh darn it MM, WHAT IS YOUR ORIGIN? Why does this movie tempt me so?!

Rewatching this movie.....the JL aren't actually in it THAT much. But a little JLU (and Miss Martian) goes a LONG way, and I already liked Jessica Cruz before they even started making this thing, so that probably counted for a lot.

I mentioned the nostalgic music in my original review, but I notice on a rewatch that it plays the Batman TAS music. Not the Danny Elfman theme, the theme music that would play in an episode of Batman TAS when Batman would show up. I can't remember if that music ever played in Justice League or JLU before this. I know for a fact the Superman TAS theme played in Twilight when Superman has his confrontation with Darkside near the end.

I may have missed something notable the first time I watched this. MM takes them inside Starboy's mind and we see Saturn Girl tell Starboy that if he's off his future meds for too long, it'll stop working period. Which is what happened in the story.

So I guess I have to take back that ENTIRE rant I had in December, because the movie covered their tracks on that, and I apparently missed that line or forgot (and the fact that I wrote the original review/comments the night I watched the flick makes it even sloppier on my part)

I still don't particularly care for the Starboy story, but they are promoting the Legion and one of the creators said Starboy's his favorite Legionaire so I'm not going to hold it against them for it. And I have to admit, I am a bit curious to look up the character on the ol' DC Wiki to see how he's been used in the comics.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 12:26:17 PM by Silver Shocker »
"Unfortunately for you, history will not see it that way."
~Maul, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Siege of Mandalore

Offline Silver Shocker

• Snoopers Gonna Snoop
« Reply #212 on: April 07, 2021, 04:49:03 AM »
The trailer for Batman: The Long Halloween is out.

I must say, I am impressed. The art style for this is again using that Archer/Venture Brothers looking style with the thick black outlines, and it looks really, really nice. Compared to Dark Knight Returns, it's smoothing out the source material's messy art style is even more substantial. Batman, Grundy and Calendar Man look good, and Joker and Catwoman look great. I find myself looking forward to seeing this, which is itself impressive, as I started reading the comic book very recently and still haven't finished the first issue. I find myself forced to concede that if the art style of the book was more appealing I probably would be getting through it faster.

Voice cast is interesting, but fairly promising. In particular Jensen Ackles is playing Batman, which is a bit odd because he of course played Red Hood in Under the Red Hood, but he sounds good in this.

Pt 1 is going to be PG-13, while Pt 2 is going to be rated R. I'm not terribly familiar with the comic story so I don't know if that's warranted based on that, but I can't say I'm fond of starting with one rating and then upping the rating for the followup.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #213 on: April 07, 2021, 07:45:42 PM »
Hmmm. On the one hand, it sort of makes sense? TLH is a story about a series of murders, and if they're covering it in equal halves the first 6 issues are pretty tame (especially since I think it includes april 1st). Still, iirc there's nothing specific about the second half of the series that I feel necessitates an R rating other than "because we can"

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #214 on: April 08, 2021, 04:32:43 PM »
Real quick as an aside... I totally get not liking Tim Sale's art on the book (it's cartoonish in a way that doesn't really fit the mood of the book a lot of the time) but it grew on me. I think part of the reason I like TLH is because it's about Harvey Dent, and he's always been a favorite villain of mine.

That said, there's a pretty good fan made motion comic version on youtube, if you want to get through the original before the animated one comes out.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP80QSKDMGerpUE2WH0TYNTzlUfWB-gcj
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 01:12:33 AM by Tomato »

Offline Silver Shocker

• Snoopers Gonna Snoop
« Reply #215 on: April 09, 2021, 09:28:40 AM »
I totally get not liking Tim Sale's art on the book (it's cartoonish in a way that doesn't really fit the mood of the book a lot of the time) but it grew on me.

The main problem I have (which is largely not a problem with issue #1) is that the villains, particularly Joker, look hideous. Joker in particular would give the Maxx nightmares and not for the good reasons.

And even if it was the kind of exaggerated art style that I do enjoy, it doesn't particularly lend itself to an animated film, and I'm glad DC's taking a DKR approach and not doing a weaksauce middle ground like they did TKJ. The look of the movie is genuinely getting me interested.

if you want to get through the original before the animated one comes out.

If the movie comes out before I finish the comic (and it probably will) I'll put it off until right around the time it leaves the On-Demand, or whenever I finish the book. Whichever comes first. That's what I did with Red Son. I already bought the digital collection on the cheap on Comixology. Which is worth it just for the forward - which after New Teen Titans, Batman and the Outsiders, Death in the Family, Crisis, and Red Son, I should have expected by now.

Plus I don't need to worry about having one of the most famous and influential Batman stories spoiled online unless they pull a Hush or TKJ and make crap up, and I'm not particularly expecting them to.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #216 on: April 09, 2021, 04:42:05 PM »
I... Kinda hope they do, a little bit.

Spoiler: ShowHide
TLH is at least in part, a murder mystery, and one of the hallmarks of that sort of story is revealing the mystery at the end... And while TLH absolutely does that, the issue is that... The pieces just don't line up.

Supposedly it's Gilda Dent responsible for the initial killings, with Harvey picking up later on, by Christmas or so. But Gilda was hospital bound for the second killing, meaning Harvey had to have picked up by then... Which could be the case, it's not made clear in the epilogue because Gilda speaks as though shed been responsible for more than one killing.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Snoopers Gonna Snoop
« Reply #217 on: April 10, 2021, 01:43:40 AM »
My feelings on the matter go back to Batman & Catwoman Hush.

Changing the ending makes it more surprising for those who know the original story, but at that point it is no longer a faithful adaptation, and when you change stuff for an adaptation and you don't do it very, very carefully and skillfully, the holes you've left in the story add up.

"So if you write a book where the butler did it, and people on the internet figure out that the butler did it, and you change it midstream so the chambermaid did it, then YOU RUINED THE WHOLE BOOK!"
~George R. R. Martin

Here's two specific examples: Watchmen and Resident Alien.

-Watchmen, as much as I like the movie, makes less sense because they changed the method of Ozy's plan. There's no real sense of how the world leaders could fight Doc Manhatten, and Bubastis shows up despite the genetic engineering plot being completely scrubbed out.

-Resident Alien is an excellent show, but the change to Harry's transformation is a massive plot hole that stands out like a sore thumb. In the comic it's a mental illusion, but in the show we're told multiple times it's a molecular shapeshifting transformation, yet we still have 1 in 1 million people being genetically capable of seeing through it.....somehow.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 01:54:19 AM by Silver Shocker »

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #218 on: April 10, 2021, 01:57:43 AM »
I don't disagree. The issue is more about making what was *intended* clearer...

To use your analogy, the ending of TLH is like... if the butler did it, but the explanation implies the chambermaid assisted. However, we know she was tied up in the cellar at the time she was supposedly doing the helping. The pieces still line up that the butler did it, the explanation just throws a lot of unnecessary issues into the mix that don't need to be there. That's what I mean when I say I hope they fix it a little bit: make it clear that the butler did it and cut out the fluff.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Snoopers Gonna Snoop
« Reply #219 on: April 10, 2021, 04:33:58 AM »
Your description actually sounds quite a bit like Identity Crisis. I would imagine TLH is a lot less messy than that story is.

In this case the key phrase would in fact be "do it very carefully and skillfully."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 04:36:48 AM by Silver Shocker »

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #220 on: April 10, 2021, 05:04:20 AM »
Oh, it's far cleaner than that mess. The solution given does fit, but it requires a lot of stretching and supposes that'd be eliminated if they just cleaned up a few plot points.

Spoiler: ShowHide
The biggest issue I have is with the thanksgiving killing. According to Gilda, she was the one behind the first 3 killings... which works for Halloween and Christmas (one murder each, both she was reasonably able to get to and had motive for), but her being behind the Thanksgiving murder supposes she snuck out of a hospital bed covered in bandages after nearly being killed, tracked down the gang responsible, and managed to kill 5 hardened criminals with a 22 caliber gun.

That issue is eliminated if Harvey was responsible for the second Holiday murder... he'd be much more capable of taking out 5 guys than Gilda, and he wasn't stuck in the hospital at the time. It'd also make him responsible for the 2nd and 4th Holiday murders, because Two Face.

Admittedly though, that introduces the issue of him managing to take out 5 guys and then not managing to kill Alberto (the implication is that since it's Harvey's first killing as Holiday he botched the job/didn't have the stomach for it) but that can be hand waved with Alberto not being his Target and getting in the way, etc.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Snoopers Gonna Snoop
« Reply #221 on: April 10, 2021, 05:06:15 AM »
That's a lot of specific details. I might have to read the rest of comic and come back if I'm to have anything specific to say about that.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Snoopers Gonna Snoop
« Reply #222 on: April 12, 2021, 11:13:29 AM »
Here's one I totally forgot to mention - The DC animated movie of The Long Halloween will include a Losers short. That's certainly different. I watched the movie of that on Netflix last year, with Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Idris Elba, and Chris Evans - really fun movie, kinda like the A-Team.