News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Attribute and m25 watchmode trouble

Started by Swingman, December 06, 2011, 09:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swingman

Hi

I've build a character with the attribute "Pheremone field" for use with m25's watchmode. To avoid the unfair distribution of HP and damage magnitude I usually place all contenders on the enemy side and use the separator to separate the teams (Poor explanation, but I'm sure you all know what I mean). Sadly this seems to cause a problem. The Pheremone field is set to only affect characters of different alignment, and for some reason it doesn't seem to consider the enemies as being of different alignment as long as they are also placed in the enemy selection. At least I think that is what happens. Does it make sense? The FFX control center doesn't seem to offer any solutions, so I'm kinda stuck. Do you know of any way to tackle this problem?

As I'm a watchmode kind of guy, I'm sure I'm gonna run into this problem again with other attributes, so any help would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance.

BentonGrey

Well, I'm not sure about the villain list being the issue.  In my experience with Pheromone field, I often have a hard time with the game determining gender properly.  PF only affects characters of the opposite gender, and that is all determined by which voice packs are associated with the characters.  Thus, if you've got El Diablo's pack attached to your custom, it likely won't affect Minute Man or Nuclear Winter, no matter what team they're on.  This was an issue for me because I often use custom VPs, and thus, have no way to identify the gender of characters for FFX.  There is a way to get around that, but I never tried it.  I'm afraid I don't remember what it was, but the FFX documentation might mention it.  Then again, this might not be your problem. :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Swingman

Thanks for the answer, BentonGrey. As I understand the FFX documentation the Pheromone field will react to "males" of different alignment if no gender can be determined from the voice-pack, and all characters are by default male if nothing else is specified. Also, I've tested the same scenario with all the same characters distributed on both the heroes and villains selection (instead of all on the same side) and here it works.

At the moment I'm not using any voice-packs, so I'm gonna try some testing with packs added.

Epimethee

IIRC, Pheromone uses Hypnosis, which is hard-coded by the game engine  to switch the side from player to enemy and vice versa. I vaguely remember trying to find a workaround without success.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

hoss20

Quote from: Epimethee on December 11, 2011, 04:02:05 PM
IIRC, Pheromone uses Hypnosis, which is hard-coded by the game engine  to switch the side from player to enemy and vice versa. I vaguely remember trying to find a workaround without success.
Could this be the problem, then?  Hypnosis doesn't work if the characters are set up as Enemy vs Enemy, which is how one uses Watch Mode (both characters being controlled by the AI). Swingman, check out the FFX Manual-->Attack Types-->Hypnosis and it explains how to fix the problem. It may not work as the character isn't directly using the Hypnosis power, but I've got my fingers crossed for ya. :kingbe-thumbup:

Epimethee

FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Swingman

Thanks for the suggestions hoss20 and Epimethee. It certainly sounded like the solution, and It definitely broadened my limited knowledge on FFXcustom.py, but sadly to no avail. I can't get it to work, perhaps for the reason you mention hoss20, perhaps because I'm just doing it wrong. I don't know.

I put ["_testman1","hypnosis","hypnosis","all"], at the bottom of my FFXcustom.py (the character is named _testman1)
and made sure the the pheromone field was set to target "male" in the control center.

If this sounds like the correct procedure, then it probably just doesn't work and I guess an area attack of sorts most be the alternative.

Thanks again for the help though.

hoss20

One last thing. I have found that manual changes to the FFXcustom.py, like for grapple and hypnosis, get erased for a particular character if you use the FFXCC and save that character. I have found that if I make my FFXCC changes to a character first, save, and then add the "hypnosis" or "grapple" swap that everything works fine. As an example, here's what my Enchantress file looks like in FFXCC:

The "hypnosis" shown is for the "hynosis to hypnosis" swap in FFXcustom.py. If I save this in FFXCC, the next time I open up the Enchantress, that "hypnosis" entry will be gone and it will no longer show in FFXcustom.py either.
So. long explanation short, make sure that you make changes in FFXCC first, then make your addition to FFXcustom.py. Also, it wouldn't hurt to re-brand again after your changes to FFXcustom.py. Sorry if this was confusing and/or unnecessary. It's the old troubleshooter coming out in me.
Also, for others viewing this thread, if there is a workaround for proper steps to take for not having FFXCC overwrite these types of changes in FFXcustom.py, I would appreciate some guidance myself. Thanks.

Xenolith

The order in which they are changed is news to me and very good to know.  Thanks!  I've always struggled with state swaps myself.  This could be why.