The Dark Horse, Vertigo, Image, Indie, & Miscellaneous Thread

Started by Talavar, July 18, 2009, 11:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Shocker

IDW has announced a Back to the Future ongoing for the 30th anniversary. It's by the creative team of Ghostbusters, writer Eric Burnham and artist Dan Schoening, so that might mean IDW's done with regular Ghostbusters comics for the time (from my experience Schoening cannot do more than one ongoing to save his life, so it would at least need a different artist.) BttF writer Bob Gale and Transformers writer John Barber are also co-writing.

Love all the visuals recreated in the artwork.

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Epimethee

Plug: A Kickstarter for a Nexus/The Moth comic strip newspaper (+ e-versions) by Steve Rude (of X-Men Children of the atom, Mister Miracle, Space Ghost, Superman/Batman fame), Mike Baron and Gary Martin. Ending in a few days.

Looking good if they do meet their goal!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steverude/rude-dude-nexus-and-the-moth-comic-strip-newspaper
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

JeyNyce

I find myself reading a lot of IDW books lately.  Right now my favorites are Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Jem.  Yes, I'm a child of the 80's
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

daglob

HarryTrotter

''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

I don't see it getting a lot of attention around the web but have to say Archie comics Worlds Unite has been a great read through and through so far. This is AvsX done right.

SickAlice

Slim pickins from the big two on my account. If it weren't for TMNT, GB Get Real and Sonic Boom I would just as well hold off on the LCS until next week. Nice to have mainstays.

HarryTrotter

I recently started Invincible and its REALLY,REALLY GREAT.I takes 4-5 paperbacks to really get rolling,but it pays off.
If you like supernatural titles you should pick up Wayward.Also pretty great.
Image has some good series now.
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

Without going into spoilers as this is the 11th part of a cross-over event (Worlds Unite which itself is a sequel to Worlds Collide) just the first spread page alone of Sonic The Hedgehog #275 is straight up one of the greatest moments in retro-gaming history. Even if anyone isn't enticed by the series (I wasn't but I found out I've really been missing out on a great series) this one is worth it if your just a nostalgic retro-gamer. Definitely shouldn't be left out of the collection.

Silver Shocker

I looked it up just now, and yeah, that is pretty cool.

Spoiler
I find it amusing that Chun-Li is just randomly doing a Whirlwind Kick in a mid air a fair distance from the bad guys. Can she straight up fly like that or what? I also found Bison just hovering there also kinda random and amusing, he kinda looks like he doesn't care about the fight.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

Most of them are spelled out in a 4th wall manner (literal mention of breaking the 4th wall happens during the cross-over actually) and obey the physics of their classic game appearances. In most cases an in-joke is made when these things happen more as service to fans. Seriously epic stuff as an aged gamer goes, can't recommend this one enough.

detourne_me

A bit off-topic here, but I just finished the latest issue of the walking dead (fantastic as usual!) and saw a solicit by a new comic from Mark Millar and Rafael Albequrque. It's called Huck and I have a feeling it will be great, it's being billed as Captain AmerIca meets Forrest Gump, and I think it has a real Norman Rockwell vibe to it.  It will be interesting to see Millar break from ultraviolence and obscenities.

HarryTrotter

Anyone read Men of Wrath?Jason Aaron does a spectacular job.Hands down,his best book.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Quote from: Spade on September 10, 2015, 01:12:43 PM
Anyone read Men of Wrath?Jason Aaron does a spectacular job.Hands down,his best book.

I read it, but wasn't that a Marvel book?
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

In theory,but it was under Icon imprint.So I guess if we count Vertigo as separate entity,we can count Icon as separate.
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

Top Cow is taking my money. Hawkins and Sejic are just nailing it.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Spade on August 12, 2015, 04:47:24 AM
I recently started Invincible and its REALLY,REALLY GREAT.I takes 4-5 paperbacks to really get rolling,but it pays off.

Been meaning to respond to this one. Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Never been a fan of Invincible. It and its writer, Robert Kirkman, have always felt to me like an example of decent idea, shaky execution. I fell out of it years and have never felt any interest in getting back into it.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Oh,Killstrike you are hilarious.A comic that parodies the 90's comic trends,but is never mean about it.While trying to sell his #1,main character revives Killstrike from the comic.Killstike kinda looks like the lovechild of Cable and Domino with a soulpatch.And together they set off to find the MCs father,who is totally not Alan Moore.Confrontation with not-Rob Liefeld is the best scene in the book.  :)
Spoiler
When accused that he "ruined comics" not-Rob points out that he did a great deal for creators rights and that the "intelligent" series nerds are gushing over are published by the company he started.
Moral of the whole story being that we may be cynical hipsters who dont read anything published post 1963,we were once kids who enjoyed reading about overly muscled guys with pouches and giant guns,AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.  :)
Read it if you haven't,seriously.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Jupiters legacy...I dont see what the fuss is about.in short,way too many subplots for 5 issues,there will be a sequel thou...And we saw it all before.Kids who cant live up to their parents legacy,heroes taking a more active approach,heroes taking over the US and sucking at running it...All very familiar.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Hey,I found the thread. 🙂

Rick and Morty vs Dungeons and Dragons. Its a thing. And it doesn't go like you would expect. Its basically a giant ad for D&D. Morty starts playing it because "gamers get laid". Damn,Zub,laying it on a bit thick? And then everyone already plays it because its apparently the coolest thing ever. And even Jerry is awesome in-game. Even Jerry,as everyone points out. Also,Dungeon Master (from the cartoon) is in it. Because nostalgia,I guess.
To summarize,it really wants to sell you D&D.
Jon Farmer

Nyte Dragon

That sounds like Volume 1. Patrick Rothfuss co-wrote it with Zub. And it's got ALOT of easter eggs and cameos are in it. There are appearances from the kids of the D&D cartoons hidden in it. Matt Mercer, Satine Phoenix, and one of Pat Ro's characters, Driebus Beestinger, pop up too.

Volume 2 is all Zub, and the story is the world of D&D invading and changing the R&M world. It has one of my favorite covers with issue 2 (IIRC). It's a homage to the 5e Monster Manual, with Rick as the beholder.
Hate is always foolish and love is always wise.
 ⁓Doctor Who

HarryTrotter

QuoteVolume 2 is all Zub, and the story is the world of D&D invading and changing the R&M world.
Which is probably what you would expect from a crossover like this.
Anyway,I found it really funny how hard it tries to sell D&D as the coolest thing ever. Not that I have strong feelings towards D&D either way. I played a few video games,and thats about that.
Jon Farmer

Nyte Dragon

There is an actual 'Rick&Morty Vs D&D' ttrpg set out. You can play as Jerry, Summer, Beth, or Morty playing D&D, with Rick being the DM. The game is based on running a dungeon designed by Rick. I haven't had the chance to run it (Damned COVID), but it's looks like it could be a blast. There is a YouTube video of a group running the game.  (Pretty funny stuff)

In case it's not apparent, I'm an avid D&D player, and RPGs are some of the coolest things ever (IMO).
 ⁓Doctor Who

Silver Shocker

Quote from: HarryTrotter on February 11, 2021, 08:50:00 PM
Hey,I found the thread. 🙂

Rick and Morty vs Dungeons and Dragons. Its a thing. And it doesn't go like you would expect. Its basically a giant ad for D&D. Morty starts playing it because "gamers get laid". Damn,Zub,laying it on a bit thick?

I see Morty's still being incredibly stupid. And ignoring that Jessica actually seems to kinda like him. Sigh.

QuoteAnd even Jerry is awesome in-game. Even Jerry,as everyone points out.

Actually that checks out. Jerry did seem to have some nerd cred in the show. In the S4 premiere, Jerry correctly identities a monstrous transformation as being similar to Akira (even pronouncing it with an accent) and I seem to recall some other comparable instances.

QuoteAlso,Dungeon Master (from the cartoon) is in it. Because nostalgia,I guess.

I don't think I've ever actually watched the cartoon, but that is pretty cool.

QuotePatrick Rothfuss co-wrote it with Zub. [...] Volume 2 is all Zub,

Zub also wrote the Baldur's Gate comics, I still gotta read those.

QuoteMatt Mercer, Satine Phoenix, and one of Pat Ro's characters, Driebus Beestinger, pop up too.

They're making like 5 new D&D or D&D adjacent video games right now (including, yes, indeed, a new Baldur's Gate) maybe they should get Matt Mercer and/or some of the other Critical Role people to voice in it. I'd probably do that if given the option.

TMNT 2012 with that Dungeon Master Owl voiced by Paul Reubens with the exact same voice as Bat-Mite could be a good comic, and I'm pretty sure that character is indeed in the TMNT 2012 tie-in comics.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Zub wrote every D&D comic in the last 10 or so years. He's REALLY into it.
Yeah,Baldurs Gate 3 is happening. I wish I had the will to replay the first 2 games.
Which also brings me to my big gripe with D&D- the fluff is interesting,but the mechanics just suck. Spell memorization makes me not want to bother with spells. Armor class? Wearing armor reduces your chance of getting hit? How does that even work?
Jon Farmer

Nyte Dragon

I'm going on the assumption you haven't played D&D. If I'm wrong, I apologize. Anyways.... here.... we.... go!!!

Quote from: HarryTrotter on February 12, 2021, 06:45:55 AM
Spell memorization makes me not want to bother with spells.

Okay, the Wizard class has to do spell memorization to 'burn' the spell into their mind. Now there are certain spell you don't have to memorize, called 'cantrips'. These spell are, however, the lowest level spells, but you can cast them all day long. They can be anything from illusion-type spells to damage dealing ones.

If you don't want to memorize spells, you can opt to take either the Warlock or Sorcerer class. Sorcerers are natural born spell casters and Warlocks make pacts with other-dimensional beings for their powers. They aren't able to cast as many spells per level as a Mage, but their spells come without having to study to earn them. 

Armor class? Wearing armor reduces your chance of getting hit? How does that even work?

Alrighty, armor class! How does it work? It tends to be described wrong. It doesn't prevent you from getting hit, it's more like it prevents you from taking damage. If you have a good DM, they can describe what happens when an opponent biffs their attack roll.

Basically, a higher armor class means that if the attack roll fails, the blow can :
A: Completely misses, or you dodged out of the way. This result can come from a poor attack roll, or the fact that the AC is high from a good dexterity score. (All DM's discretion.)
B: You parried the blow with your weapon or shield. Or you Bruce Lee that stuff bare-handed. (Noooooo, not the actual sword/mace/ax, but the weapon hand wielding it. You shove the arm out of the way, so the attack misses.)
C: The attack hits you, but your armor or shield, absorbs the blow and you shrug it off. If your DM wants to run a relatively realistic campaign, he could make you have to get your armor/shield repaired after so many battles.

Now it falls onto the DM if he wants to actually describe the effects of each miss, or he could ask you, or it could be understood that you both understand how it works, and you skip it to speed up combat.

I do combinations of all of those when I DM. On small brawls, such as bar fights or minion fights, we accept what happens to speed things along. On the big epic boss-type fights, I like to go A and B. When the players miss, I describe how the baddie blocks their blow (or dodges it.) And when the baddie misses them, they can tell me what they did. Sometimes things get mixed and I do the descriptions all around. It depends on the players, the mood, etc.

Anywho, hope the helps explain AC for you. And hope that also helps you re-think the magic-classes.
 ⁓Doctor Who

HarryTrotter

I never played the tabletop game. I played Baldurs gate 1 and 2,Planescape,Icewind Dale,maybe some other stuff...I don't remember if warlock was a thing in those,but casting spells was a chore. Good luck resting when everything is time-limited in those games. And I went thru BG as Kensai/Mage...
IIRC,everyone used the same system of remembering spells...paladins,priests,clerics,everyone... Granted,this was 3-4 editions ago,so idk,maybe that changed.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Rick and Morty vs Dungeons and Dragons 2. Im not sure if the shilling was harder or not this time around. Anyway Ricks old characters all came back for revenge,Jerry is into Blood Wars and we are left with a sequel hook. And personally,a strange desire to replay some CRPGs. (I might get back to Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Thats basically DnD 3.5. And I think you can play as a kensai. ) Anyway,it was okay.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Star Trek The Gorn Crisis. We get to see what Enterprise was doing during the Dominion war. They were negotiating with the Gorn,who were in a middle of their own civil war. This would be a pretty good episode,and Im always happy to see more of Gorns.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

I finished Grendel Devils Odyssey. I doubt anyone here will read it,so...a reset button is pressed and the paladin is back on Earth 400+ years later. It's now ruled by Necrolords (the vampires again,I assume?). And Wagner promises us 3 sequel maxi- series. Eh,Im always cool with a post-apocalypse Grendel story,but I think we could have milked the Grendel in space idea for a few more issues.
Jon Farmer