News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Kkhohoho's EZScript Problems Thread

Started by kkhohoho, January 18, 2009, 02:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkhohoho

This thread will be used for the various EZ Script Questions I have and will have as I embark on this EZScript endeavor, sort of like Benton's thread in the Scripting Forum. First, this may seem like a rather stupid question, but how do I open up the level editor?
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

BentonGrey

Haha, you've gotta' start somewhere!  Go into your FF2 directroy, and scroll down past the mod folders.  You'll see FFEdit near the top.  Open it up.  First, make sure that the data paths are pointing at the right place.  When you first open it up, it should start out on the Options tab, with several data paths that you can edit.  You can pretty much leave all of it alone, but you'll need to point the top one at your mod folder.  Let's use the DCUG as an example.  You want it to read something like this: C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\DCUG, although, if you have FF installed to a different directory, it will look different, of course.  Once that is done, make sure that the map you want to edit is in the missions folder of your mod, then click on the "missions" tab of FFEdit.  Go down to the bottom and click on "Load."  Select your mission, and it will be loaded into FFEdit.  Now, you'll probably want to be able to edit everything on the map, so make sure the check boxes next to BOTH "Layout" and "Objects" are checked. Then hit "Edit In Game" and you'll be able to edit the map. 

Controls for doing so: "C" brings up a menu of things you can place, choose them by double clicking.  If you need help figuring out what is where, explore your art\library folders.  You can move something by clicking and dragging it.  Holding down "X" after clicking on something allows you to move it up and down, while "Z" allows you to turn it left or right.  The markers you need for EZScript can be created by adding a "positional marker," listed at the top of the menu that "C" gives you.  You can rename them from FFEdit.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

kkhohoho

I have a problem. I need a level.txt, and 01_atom's level.txt seems to be the only one I have. I do not want my campaign to take place in a cavern the whole time, so could someone please help me out here?

GogglesPizanno

Technically you only need that file when importing a new terrain/map that was created in 3D studio Max.
You can just make a copy of an existing map directory, name the directory something new, and open it up in FFEdit and tweak it there.

So lets say for example you wanted to make a map that was based on a city.
Copy a mission directory for a city map such as "01_dream" from the original campaign.
Lets rename it "MyCityMap"
In FFEdit, open up that mission, and at the top, change the name to "MyCityMap" -- or somethign else descriptive.

Now just open it up in the editor and edit away.

catwhowalksbyhimself

He's correct, I've never used or needed a level text, as I've always started with a pre-built level and edited it from there.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

kkhohoho

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on January 18, 2009, 08:00:40 PM
He's correct, I've never used or needed a level text, as I've always started with a pre-built level and edited it from there.

Does that apply to EZScript? I already have a script, not that it's complete, but I have one.

BentonGrey

Well, the mission.txt and level.txt are different.  Open up any of the numbered missions from any of my three campaigns.  You'll see several things:  A base.dat file (the actual map used for the base), a base.txt (the EZScript file that tells the game what to play between levels), a mission.dat file (once again, the map itself), a mission.txt (The EZScript mission itself), and then python files for mission and base.  There may be other things there as well, but those are the ones you want.  So, all you need to is either replace or edit any one of those files to make your mission different in whichever ways you want.  You want a different mission map than, let's say 01_JLA?  Take that map, copy the mission.dat into your folder, and you're all set.  DCUG is set up to work with pretty much whatever art elements you want, so you don't have to worry about that.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/