Out with the old and in with the new....

Started by Randomdays, May 03, 2024, 03:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randomdays

The good.....

After using the same Win7 laptop for quite awhile, I just got a Win10 Asus "Vivobook". While not a state of the gaming machine, it's handling almost everything great so far. I'm slowly moving everything over to it...

Added Firefox as I like the browser. Slowly moving acount and passwords over to it. Installing other needed programs winrar , visual C, and the like as I go

Dealing first with mainly FF and supports for it.

1) Freedom Force, FFvt3R, the character viewers and nifskope up and running. I haven't checked to see if the map editors are working or not yet.

2) Ran Cyber's "tools of the trade" pack and got Blender running with nifscripts. I haven't tried out one of the newer versions yet, or milkshape, gmax, dazstudio or the other 3D editors I sometimes use yet

3) The console emulators Dolphin, epsxe, and psx2 are up and running. games that were slideshows on the win7 are running fullspeed.

4) Sims3 full install up. Running at full speed and much easier to work with than the older laptop

5) "The Movies Game" up and running. Transferring the save, mods and setting files for it and Sims3 over to the new computer

I haven't set up Civ 4, Morrowwind, or Oblvion yet on the new computer yet. These all use nifs so were easy to work with.

6) I also like to play on solo servers for some MMOs. Besides playing in them they're good sources for models for FF. I've got WOW with the 1st 2 expansions, and another with the first 6 ,up and running. "Lich King" ran great on the old laptop while "Legion" was a slideshow, but now is running at good speed.

UO with the 3d engine running at good speed.

EQ1 setup and but I can't connect. Maybe the firewall and ports aren't set right.

I had "Dark Age of Camelot" and "Final Fantasy 11" up and running before, but haven't tried here yet. Dak age was good since it used nifs already.

Still a bunch to do, and I'm going traveling on vacation for a bit so It'll be a few more weeks till I csn get back to modding

And now the (hopefully, not to) bad. Especially compared to troubles some others are having

I had mentioned that I just turned 64 in March. The problem turning up is that the company I was working with for over 17 years closed due to mismanagement  - not anything on the lower levels, but we're the ones losing our jobs. Now, thanks to the WARN act for plant closures and the 401k I had, I' SHOULD be alright, but with lots of resumes and job inquiries out, not getting any responses back. So, like it or not, unless I just go for a part time job to keep busy and a little extra money, it looks like I'm retired.

Which is one reason why I had more time for modding the last few weeks.

So, I'll see you guys in a bit and we'll get moving again

RD

cranlox

Now that's called having news!
Well happy retirement? You are still young and if you want to do one thing or another, you will surely be able to do it.
It's great that you have a new computer for your arsenal, I hope everything goes smoothly with the step by step.

WyldFyre

Setting up a new PC can be a real pain. I have done it several times and each time is a new experience in patience.

I hope your transition is as painless as possible.

I feel you on the job front. If you are retired, congratulations? I am only a few years behind you and am looking forward to having some time to do things.

Mainly though, enjoy your vacation!! Sounds like you've earned one.
For Freedom!

FF Museum Website: http://ffmuseum.org/

RommyNa

Do you transfer those games to FreedomForce? I didn't understand

Randomdays

Not the games, but the models. If you look at the Darkwing Duck I just did, that model was pulled from the "Disney Arena" game.

Some games liked mentioned above, use the same model format, "Nif" as Freedom Force, so they're not that hard to convert over. Others, I use a program like "ninja ripper" to capture a model thats' on screen in a game while its being played, and then convert that to FF.

Other people have already taken lots of models from games and put them on line. "The Models Resource" and "Deviantart" has lots of examples of this.

Kommando

Quote from: Randomdays on May 05, 2024, 02:31:09 AM"The Models Resource" and "Deviantart" has lots of examples of this.

If I ever get a core membership on DeviantArt, I might see about hosting my new FF stuff there.

Randomdays

I would say;

Get a megasite. Its free, easy, and with lots of room.

I could put you on mine since its already setup. Or Dean on his page,SA, or WyldFyre