News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

What happens if...?

Started by jackhart1967, April 15, 2022, 05:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackhart1967

Everyday my FFvt3R/FFX3 rumble room has more problems than the day before. So, what happens if I save my custom file (which has all my meshes & skins installed to date) uninstall FFvt3R & the FFX3 package, & reinstall both fresh?

I don't really care at this point if I loose my herofiles (most of them aren't working correctly anyway) & I don't have anything (other than skins & meshes) installed that I'm worried about loosing.

Would doing this resolve anything? Or would the same problems resurface as soon as I've done the reinstall of both the game & the FFX3?

spydermann93

I'm really not sure if it will do anything, but it's worth a shot. Sorry that it's breakin down on you, man.

Before reinstalling, just make sure that you copy your custom characters (the meshes and skins) somewhere safe so you don't have to reinstall them. Once you have them in a safe place, you can delete your FFvtTR folder OR you can just delete everything in the folder except your custom characters folder.

SuperPoweredYank

You need to run FFX Edit after you create a new character, otherwise you'll get the "duplicate complex" error message.

jackhart1967

Thanks Spyder, I'm gonna sit on it for a few days. See if anyone has any other ideas before I delete it & start over.

& yes, Yank, I have had that error once or twice, but both times I just opened the character up in the FFX3 control center & all was right with the world again. The main problem I'm having are attributes not working, & the ones that stop working change every time I exit the game & the open it again. I'm at a total loss.

mal19uk

Maybe redownload the ffx mod again and merge the dats?

WyldFyre

Perhaps a silly question but are you saving the heroes to your main .dat or your FFX .dat? The base .dat wouldn't recognize the FFX attributes.

edit: I just realized that there is a disclaimer on the Superhero TV (Rumble Room) add-on for FFvtTR that says it does not work with FFX. Although maybe this was fixed? Have you tried the heroes in game to see if they worked normally?
For Freedom!

FF Museum Website: http://ffmuseum.org/

oktokels

Every so often I have to do a fresh install of the game, because mods, characters and maps sometimes bring compatibility errors between ff1 and ff2, these errors tend to accumulate over time until they make the game unplayable . It also happens that when one gets into FFEdit or the game code itself, sometimes errors are made that one has not contemplated, such as duplicate data, misplaced commas, etc. If you haven't done a fresh reinstall for over 5 years, I beg you to do so. Remember to make a backup of your hero files, your characters, your FX and your maps (nif and textures). It's a shame to have to do it all over again, but if it gets to the point where you can't play the game, then i think there's no other option.

jackhart1967

Thanks for all the advice people.

I took a break from playing since I was here last. Loaded it up last night & all of the attribute problems I was having in the Rumble Room seem to have resolved themselves. That said, I do think do an uninstall/reinstall is way past due.

Other than the Characters file, which files should I copy & save? I have installed maps, fxs, lots of hero files, and the like over the years, but lots of those maps, fxs, & other aspects of the Rumble Room have never worked as well with ffvt3r as they did with the OG game. Still, with so much of what used to be available for download gone missing, I'd hate to loose everything I've installed.   

oktokels mentioned backing up the nif and textures for fxs & maps but it's been so long since I rifled through the folders I'm not sure what to look for exactly or where. Anyone wanna respond with a "how-to-safely-uninstall" guide?

oktokels

Quote from: jackhart1967 on May 03, 2022, 07:36:22 PM
oktokels mentioned backing up the nif and textures for fxs & maps but it's been so long since I rifled through the folders I'm not sure what to look for exactly or where. Anyone wanna respond with a "how-to-safely-uninstall" guide?
Before unistalling, I would suggest making a backup of the art folder and the mission folder. This will backup all the nifs and textures of both FX, characters and maps.

And making a backup of the .dat files, like attributes.dat, mission.dat, powers.dat and fx.dat. This will allow you to backup the FFEDIT settings for maps, effects and attributes. But I would not recommend using these .dat files to replace the originals of the game, since they could be corrupted, but it will serve to have a reference so that later you can individually install some maps or fx.

This is my way to safely uninstall and reinstall, but it may be too long and tedious, because right now i'm in the proccess of installing  fx and maps individually.  :banghead:
I'm not using the .dat merge utility because in the past it caused me some problems.

oktokels

Also you need to backup the .hero files usually located in AppData\Local\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Heroes

jackhart1967

Thanks, all of that is a huge help, however I've not been able to find my .hero files. I searched the whole GOG game file but the only .hero files I found are for custom characters I've installed over the years that had a .hero file included in the character file. Any ideas?

oktokels

Quote from: jackhart1967 on May 04, 2022, 08:15:53 PM
Thanks, all of that is a huge help, however I've not been able to find my .hero files. I searched the whole GOG game file but the only .hero files I found are for custom characters I've installed over the years that had a .hero file included in the character file. Any ideas?

The .hero files are located in a system folder. Usually in c:/Users/*username*/. That folder contains all the .hero files, the .m25AI files (AI of the character) and the .py files (FFX custom data).

jackhart1967

Ok, cool that got me there. Fingers crossed. Gonna start the uninstall/reinstall process.

jackhart1967

UPDATE

Uninstalled everything. I think

Bought the game from GOG. Installed it & that all went fine.

Then I tried to install the FFX3 mods & I got the control center & the manual, but there was no desktop FFX3 link. Found the FFX3 file, but it wasn't installed in the same place ffvt3r ended up. Tried moving the folder but that's not working & I can't seem to get the FFX3 the install in the ffvt3r file, that is where it should end up isn't it?

oktokels

Quote from: jackhart1967 on May 04, 2022, 11:03:33 PM
UPDATE

Uninstalled everything. I think

Bought the game from GOG. Installed it & that all went fine.

Then I tried to install the FFX3 mods & I got the control center & the manual, but there was no desktop FFX3 link. Found the FFX3 file, but it wasn't installed in the same place ffvt3r ended up. Tried moving the folder but that's not working & I can't seem to get the FFX3 the install in the ffvt3r file, that is where it should end up isn't it?
Maybe a wrong path file when installing FFX3?
FFX3 is installed in the same folder as FFVT3r =   ...\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\FFX3\