FF 20th Anniversary Projects

Started by Ewzzy, March 09, 2022, 08:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ewzzy

This month marks the 20th anniversary of the release of Freedom Force!

Check out that wild booth from the 2001 E3. Amazing that the community is still around. I'm hoping to complete a number of projects this year to celebrate. The first of which is a rebuilding of the original MyFreedomForce.com website.

I've gone into the Wayback Machine and dug up all that was left of the old official site. Then I rebuilt what wasn't there, fixed broken links, and tested in modern browsers. Go to MyFreedomForce.ewzzy.com to relive the old days.

If you like that then check out my rehost of the FF bonus CD website and my many FF uploads to the Internet Archive. More to come!

WyldFyre

Thanks for this Ewzzy. That is phenomenal work restoring everything. I'm loving this and looking forward to anything else you have planned.
For Freedom!

FF Museum Website: http://ffmuseum.org/

eluvium

Quote from: Ewzzy on March 09, 2022, 08:25:49 PM

Check out that wild booth from the 2001 E3. Amazing that the community is still around. I'm hoping to complete a number of projects this year to celebrate. The first of which is a rebuilding of the original MyFreedomForce.com website.

I've gone into the Wayback Machine and dug up all that was left of the old official site. Then I rebuilt what wasn't there, fixed broken links, and tested in modern browsers. Go to MyFreedomForce.ewzzy.com to relive the old days.

If you like that then check out my rehost of the FF bonus CD website and my many FF uploads to the Internet Archive. More to come!

Wow I feel so complete right now

BentonGrey

Oh man, this is awesome, Ewzzy!  I'm sending you a message!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

eluvium

Quote from: Ewzzy on March 09, 2022, 08:25:49 PM

Hey wow, the motherlode, I was wondering if the NPI stuff was in this dragon's hoard

Epimethee

FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Ewzzy

Part 2 of my web restoration is the Freedom Fans website. This became the official site of Freedom Force post Crave's involvement. There's a lot of interesting pieces floating around here including new character profiles and pre-release info for FFVT3R. Now available at
FreedomFans.ewzzy.com

The Freedom Fans site also had a new version of the ModForce site that was frankly pretty stripped down. The infamous "Do's and Don'ts of Modding" and the message from Ken Levine begging us not to do a copyright infringement are linked everywhere. I'm sure many of you remember those dark days in the modding scene. Hard to imagine anything we could do that would stir up that kind of trouble now.

All the more reason for me to rebuild the original actually good ModForce page to match. Check it out at
ModForce.ewzzy.com
This one was in rougher shape on the Wayback Machine and the original pages were built in Word of all things. Not easy to read hand coded HTML like the other sites. Thankfully a lot of the documentation is the same as what was bundled with the editor and could easily be swapped back in.

I'm certain there are some dead links in these. Some because of future plans and some because the sites were too big for me to catch everything. If there's something you want fixed please DM me.

naitvalis

Thanks Ewzzy! Feel in someway strange we are still here however... :D

WyldFyre

More goodness from the old days. Huzzah Ewzzy!
For Freedom!

FF Museum Website: http://ffmuseum.org/

SuperPoweredYank

Sweet! You brought back FreedomFans!
Also, I happened to look at that Wayback Machine link to the merch store. Did anyone get that Timemaster Clock? I'd love to see pictures of it, since the ones on the archive are broken.

hmarrs

20 Years and still going strong.
Been here since day 1 and not planning on going anywhere 😄👍 :ff: :ffvstr:

stumpy

That is excellent! Lots of links I had not seen for so long. Great work, Ewzzy!
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

cmdrkoenig67

That is so amazing, Ewzzy! Thank you for doing this! I?m heading there now to check it all out, Yay!

Dana

Ewzzy

Thank you all! Today's the day!

20 years of Freedom Force! But really the community has been around even longer. The initial press release announcing the game dates all the way back to July 18, 2000. You can see it here:
cravegames.com/pressreleases/20000720_01.htm

The community probably got its real start with the release of the original Character Tool on Aug 18, 2001. I was so excited when I found the initial announcement of the release had preserved the comments on the post!

Too bad all the comments are about direct x conflicts!

windblown

Epimethee

Cool, thanks Ewzzy! Happy anniversary, FF!

Quote from: Ewzzy on March 26, 2022, 01:34:03 PM
Too bad all the comments are about direct x conflicts!

Hmm... Isn't Direct X the name of Energy X's nemesis?
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com