News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Nifskope

Started by oktokels, January 14, 2024, 12:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oktokels

Hello everybody
I had to buy a new PC and i'm re-installing everything so i can start working on meshes again.
Just one question:
I downloaded the latest version of Nifskope, is that okay?
Just wondering if the last version has any incompatibility with Freedom Force .nif files, given that is such an old game by now....

Thanks !

SickAlice

I have three versions of Nifskope all on a modern system, all in my  :ffvstr: directory actually for easy access. They are developed forward and that I know of are all therefore backwardly compatible. I do not use the newest version though. I was just checking out the features and seeing if it did anything new. Namely always waiting for better animation support.

I still use 0.9.1 for most work. That is a very old grey backed version. There were some features that had been removed later that I like and I feel it's easy to see what I'm doing with the grey back. I also use 1.1.3 for particle emmitters and keyframes since the old versions didn't have that functionality.

Point, 0.9.1 was all the way back in 2008 and still works fine on modern systems so no, there is no issue. Any version of Nifskope should work as well as normal on any OS with Freedom Force nifs. Old Blender with the oldest Nif import and newer Blender with newer Ni import still works the same on new systems as well.

The only issue I've encountered on newer systems is Steam versions of the Freedom Force games having problems with paths. Like I can't use voicepacks for instance even though I set them up correctly and have since the first game. Otherwise DirectX games on newer versions of Win but FF are not dependent on that (seen problems with LEGO and some TMNT games for example).

oktokels

Thanks SA  :thumbup:

One thing i noticed is that in the latest Nifskope 2.0+, it seems that some stuff is not properly recognized. Tried to open a FF Mesh and i got some error messages when starting the program. Regardless, i could modify and interact with the mesh, but the initial messages raise some concerns.  :blink:

Tried with version 1.1.3.: got no error messages and everything seems normal, for now.

SickAlice

I had tried the newest Nifskope just to check it out, one version back I think. It was too buggy for me and really did not seem to add any useful tools for Freedom Force games. Just another redone interface mostly. The winner I think is whoever pulls off a full blown animation editor (this "might be" Source Filmmaker, haven't looked at it yet).