News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Problem running FF with Win10

Started by abenavides, November 08, 2021, 03:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abenavides

Installed FF recently to check some things and I can't get it running.
Game starts , screen goes black and I get an error message about renderer.

I'm pretty sure this worked on Win10 before. I do keep my graphic drivers updated so maybe something has broken it working on Win 10.

Anyone found a solution to this? I looked around and found posts about it on Steam forums, but the suggestions there didn't work. (basically just using compatability settings )

FFv3R works fine, btw.
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

WyldFyre

I have the GoG version running fine. I haven't tried re-installing from disks. I did install the GoG version in the original directory tree so that the editor and etc. installed correctly.
For Freedom!

FF Museum Website: http://ffmuseum.org/

Tomato

I have been unable to get  :ff: steam version working on windows 10, I keep meaning to get gog but I keep putting it off.

abenavides

I've used GOG without problems for years. Just started having issues on this install.
Not sure what's changed. Hmm...I do have a new laptop GPU... maybe driver issue?

Funnily enough, I can run FFEDIT 1 fine (well except the leveleditor but that hasn't worked for years now)
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

BentonGrey

I don't have the GOG version, but I've had to use compatibility mode for the Steam version of  :ff:.  Make sure you are launching from a properly formatted shortcut rather than from GOG Galaxy, just to be safe.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

SickAlice

Shot in the dark, this is your area of expertise but looking at what you typed I would like install issue, something I know your good for since you just helped me with that one and you know is a common issue when it comes to W10 and older programs. As well if the second works fine which is the case here (W10x64 H on HP15 w/AMD Ryzen 5 installed Vulkan) then I think I would measure the difference between the second and first given one is just an updated version of the same engine. Maybe just for ideas, you're pretty much the go to for this stuff so if anyone here is going to figure out I think you'll be the one.

abenavides

OK latest on this. I'm able to run the steam version OK.
So I'd guess it's something driver-related that GOG isn't providing.
I've submitted a support email to GOG.
www.alexff.com

BentonGrey

Did you try the GOG version in compatibility mode?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

abenavides

www.alexff.com

BentonGrey

Hmm, weird that GOG, which has been the stable version, would stop working.  Times march on, I suppose.
God Bless

abenavides

Just posting in case it helps solve this problem - it's another clue at least.
I was using a different PC today and installed GOG Freedom Force (original game) just for the heck of it and it worked fine.

The PC is running Windows 11 just like my main pc which just gets a black screen when I try to run FF.

My main pc is a laptop (HP spectre 360 and is actually a bit newer than the PC it worked on ). It has a GeForce MX330 GPU
The PC it worked on is a Desktop with nvidia geforce 1650 gx1650 SUPER GPU

Same Nvidia driver package (latest) on both - 516.94
www.alexff.com