News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Games Like freedom force?

Started by Ozymandiasveis, April 21, 2020, 10:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozymandiasveis

(Accidentally posted this to general discussion earlier lol)

So I love the FF series to death, really fun games with a lot of playable characters (and almost feels like a MOBA that I can control tbh)

Are there any other games like freedom force on steam? I got warcraft 3 for the hero units but I'm wondering what other games come close

(edit. I heard about sentinels of freedom, definately gonna get it when I can)

spydermann93

Afraid other than "Sentinels of Freedom", there isn't anything else.

There was a game called "Hero X", but I don't think that's on Steam and you only control one hero as far as I remember.

Cyber Burn

I'm sure I probably asked this before, but are there any other games with the ability to mod like freedom force?

spydermann93

Not many, no.

There are probably some out there, but they lack the ability to make a ton of custom characters and smash them against each other like Freedom Force does.

*sigh*... so sad...

bearded

I'm going to recommend Rimworld. It's not 3d or superhero, but it might be even more moddable than FF.

BentonGrey

Yeah, FF is one (or two) of a kind.  There's never been anything half as good.  Sentinels of Freedom is a fun game and definitely feels FF-ish in some ways, but it is, really, a very different type of game.

Haha, Kommando, I had Hero X too.  I actually had a choice between it and FF, and I bought Hero X, like a doofus!  It was aggressively mediocre, and I was massively disappointed in it.  I later came across FF in the bargin bin for $10, like months and months later.  Best $10 I ever spent.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Cyber Burn

Quote from: bearded on April 28, 2020, 12:01:25 AM
I'm going to recommend Rimworld. It's not 3d or superhero, but it might be even more moddable than FF.

Thanks bearded, I'll look for it over the summer.

videogamersadvocate

Hey everyone. I feel like I identify with the original poster in regards to this topic. As a huge Marvel, DC and Star Wars nerd, I am always on the lookout for games where we can be those superheroes or characters from the franchise where we also have a certain amount of control in both creating, shaping and experiencing battles between those characters. I've enjoyed mods for the original Marvel Ultimate Alliance but unfortunately there isn't a mode where you can match up the heroes and villains exactly how you want.So you can add character mods to your game only to play through the game's levels. The fact that you can have a Danger Room type mode with customization options is what drew me to this series. And with the mods that people from this community have created, I'm blown away by all the scenarios I can put together through Freedom Force and its sequel. There are no superhero games out like these two.

I looked into the Marvel and DC mods for Grand Theft Auto V but after watching videos of it, I just couldn't bring myself to download them. GTA V isn't a game that was made to support comic book type battles like Freedom Force. The modders did a good job with what they had to work with but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Have any of you guys played the Knights of the Force mod in Star Wars Jedi Knight Academy? It is basically a sandbox mod with Star Wars assets from multiple eras and you can just set up some awesome scenarios and battles. I would love something similar to this but with Marvel and DC assets.  By the way, I'm very new to Freedom Force but is there any sandbox type mode in this series?

SickAlice

I'm with most it's a hard toss. Like I can think of things that either I have heard usually by way of this forum itself back in ye day or others that had been around of either games that key into the moddable interest or into the gameplay/comic book them but never really a streamlined match for the whole shebang. It probably goes without saying communities like Elder Scrolls for example get as much love out of modding as we do and are still with it to date, noting that has compatible filetypes to FF. Or back in the day most people around here were hooked on the early Activision Marvel RPG's like X-Men Legends 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Those ended up growing as big as FF for modding as well, some of our best and brightest gave a lot of time to all that but Activision wasn't having any of that and shut it down. Star Trek Bridge Commander is a game I know a few people in this community were addicted to for quite awhile, never tried it myself. On a star basis I'm not a good source. I haven't had much time to myself so I limit my choices in games, movies, shows and so on. I probably have never seen most of the stuff everyone knows like the back of their hand. I was in travelling for a long time and building houses, takes up pretty much crack of dawn to owl hoot to do that work. I guess though the point is it depends what aspect of this game you mean because it seems you mean the gameplay to me. Else sandbox with no cap on it is a relatively limited concept, most companies really don't like the idea of games people have 100% control over because it limits their ability to sell things like DLC. Likewise by extending the right to players to do that they also extend the legal freedom to distribute the games files, thus the game which of course doesn't sit well with people who want to profit. I think that's what led to in game economics partly, also it may be part of why this game just hasn't seen that sequel nor have the new owners made a strong attempt to revive interest in the series.

detourne_me

This thread has got me thinking about Mount & Blade. Ive played Star Wars and Mass Effect mods of the first game. I wonder what kind of files it uses. It might be fun to make a free-roaming super-hero mod.

videogamersadvocate

I've seen videos on Mount and Blade. What is it like? There's also Mount and Blade Warband and also Mount and Blade Bannerlord that I've seen. What are the differences between them?

spydermann93

It's a game where you make your own character and travel around a fictional low-fantasy world named Calradia. You have your not-Germans, your not-Arabians, your not-Mongols, your not-Vikings, and some other nations. You travel around spending gold to buy troops, battle in 3rd person battles with those troops (the battles are the best part by far), level them up, and try and become King or Queen of your own nation by dismantling the current empires. Or you can become a Butter Lord and make bank selling goods (like butter).

Mount and Blade (the first game) is good, but there is no real reason to get that when you can get Mount and Blade: Warband (the second game). Better ai, marginally better graphics, more customization, multiplayer, larger battles, slightly better sieges, etc.

Mount and Blade: Bannerlord (the newest game) is set in a different time period in Calradia (you have not-Byzantines instead of not-Germans), but it is vastly improved in many regards over Warband. Better just about everything, honestly. Battles are better, sieges are better, graphics are waay better, there's more to do other than just run around and fight everybody (more economics in the game), it has larger multiplayer battles etc.

In short:

• Don't bother with Mount and Blade
  • Warband is cheaper than Bannerlord and still a really good game with tons of awesome mods and still has an active mp scene.
  • Bannerlord is a bit pricey, but it has tons of optimizations and more to do outside of being a murder-hobo. It's still in early access, though, if you are partial to that. It gets updated very frequently, though.

videogamersadvocate

Thanks spydermann93. I am a mod guy and I also like it when games have Steam Workshop compatibility and content so by default I'm looking more into Warband for now. Then if I find I like it, I'll track Bannerlord's progress.

Some Early Access titles can be really good right out of the gate and receive consistent updates. I've really enjoyed Hades and Last Epoch in that regard.

BentonGrey

Warband is a pretty amazing game and has a mod scene that even puts FF to shame.  I personally have a Warhammer one that I really love and that is excellent quality. 
https://www.moddb.com/games/mount-blade-warband/mods
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

spydermann93

Bruh, I loooove the Warhammer mod.

You might be able to tell from my excitement for every warhammer bit Nait posts, but I love Warhammer and that mod does it justice.

I just miss the ability to play as a normal soldier in a lord's army. The Freelancer mod used to be part of the mod, but they removed it so they could have more interesting troop types. It makes sense gameplay-wise, but I do miss being a soldier of the Empire fighting alongside my fellow troops against the hordes of Daemons and Orcs.

BentonGrey

Ohh, interesting.  I didn't know they had removed that.  That was a cool feature.  Shame!

But yeah, it's an amazing mod, and it does capture the Warhammer universe remarkably well.
God Bless

videogamersadvocate

Okay. Now I know why people love Mount and Blade Warband. I decided to take the plunge and grab it. Didn't put any mods into the game, just played it vanilla. I did the tutorial and a couple of instant battles. This game is damn cool. The whole idea of running/riding with everyone out onto the battlefield and fighting is really fun. I'm a big fan of the Star Wars Battlefront series and the old school Battlefield games so I felt right at home with this. I can't wait to see what the mods have to offer. Thanks for the suggesting this.

Have you guys ever played Company of Heroes 2? I bought it for really cheap during a sale last winter and was playing that last night. It has a good amount of mod support and controls a little similar to Freedom Force. The era it takes place in is WWII but the mods expands into all sorts of different eras.

BentonGrey

Ohh, just a piece of advice, enable and make notes about the cheats for Warband.  The game can be really punishing and slow in the beginning, and after you play a while, you might want to 'skip ahead' some, so to speak.  Ha, maybe that's just me, but I find the game a lot more enjoyable if I can get myself out of a nasty spot from time to time, as it can be pretty rough.  :P

I really didn't care for Company 2.  The first one was a great game, but the second seemed to dumb it down tremendously.  I never looked into the mod scene, though.
God Bless

spydermann93

Didn't play much CoH. Was more of a Dawn of War fan, myself :P

videogamersadvocate

Thanks for the advice BG. I will keep it in mind. I did feel like the game was going to have a learning curve as I did the tutorial. And my first battle did go very wrong for me. Hahaha.

Yeah I only played very little of Company of Heroes 2. I was able to get it with seven pieces of DLC for under $10. It looked interesting and I had never played the first one.  In fact, I'm really new to this whole real-time strategy genre which is why everything is so new to me. I'm going "WOW" like a kid. Both real-time and turn-based strategy games are a new frontier for me as I mostly stuck to fighting games, sports games, first person shooters and classic Japanese style RPGs in my youth. But now I play games from all sorts of genres.

Spyder, I have Dawn of War I and II but haven't started them yet. I bought them because I felt if I was going to get into Warhammer, those would be great games to introduce me to it. Those games came in a bundle with Space Marine, which I have played a bit of and like so far. I did look into Total War: Warhammer but games like that seem much more involved than I would want to be.

BentonGrey

Okay, don't waste any more time with CoH 2.  Go play Dawn of War I if you want a great real-time strategy game!  Ha!  It's one of my all-time favorites, and it is just a fantastic, innovative, and robust game.  It's unique mechanics, asymmetrical balancing, and Warhammer flavor are just amazing.  It's worth buying all the DLC, though, as all the expansions are good and add cool new races and units.
God Bless

spydermann93

Dawn of War is amazing. Love that game. I play with all of the expansions and usually with Ultimate Apocalypse (it adds soooooooooo much and the battles are huge!)

I really enjoy the fact that each squad can have custom loadouts. It does take a bit getting used to with the micro, but it's not near as intense as Starcraft of anything like that.

Warhammer two is one of my top 3 games, if not my favorite. It's Total War and it's Warhammer. A match-made in heaven. If you're interested at all in large battles with hundreds to thousands of troops on the field, you can't do any better than Total War. And if you want tank driving Germans running over zombie pirates, mutant rat people (as opposed to normal rat people) and heavy metal vikings, you can't do any better than Warhammer. Tanks not your thing? Dinosaurs with lasers, perhaps? What about backstabbing mad-scientist rats with nuclear weapons? Or how about a good ol cavalry charge with thousand of pounds of angry Frenchman?

It's just all so good.

None of these games are like Freedom Force, though. But I love them all the same, lol

videogamersadvocate

I got a good hour or so in for Dawn of War last night. The cool thing is that I found a sale a few months ago that had Dawn of War Master Collection, Dawn of War II Master Collection and Space Marine Collection all for $50. It came with all the expansions and content for all three games. So I look forward to exploring all the games have to offer. Dawn of War is pretty cool so far. Reminds me a bit of Warcraft III in the way it plays and how you have to build bases and camps. I have to admit that seeing the orcs flying through the air off explosions was very entertaining. It's crazy. I'm telling you guys, just a year ago I had never even touched games like Warcraft III, Dawn of War, Star Wars Empire at War, Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth or Freedom Force. What made me open my mind to strategy games in general was Fire Emblem Three Houses on the Switch. Before then, the only strategy type games I had played were Final Fantasy Tactics and Vandal Hearts. For whatever reason, when it came to Fire Emblem, I felt like I needed to play that game. And since playing that game, I've come to really enjoy strategy games of all types.

Another reason why I have started to open myself up to other gaming genres I haven't been as familiar with is because I am planning on starting a video gaming website of my own and I want to be more informed. So I've been playing visual novels, MMO's, deck builders, roguelites and just all sorts of games I would have never played before. I'm enjoying the journey.

spydermann93

Welcome to the world of RTS, man! It's amazing! :P

videogamersadvocate

Thanks. Man, I see why people lose so many hours in these types of games. The games are very immersive and it is so easy to get sucked in and not want to stop playing. And for some franchises, the RTS style fits it like a glove. For instance, Lord of the Rings works on so many levels as a RTS.