new movie tmnt revealed

Started by deano_ue, January 29, 2014, 01:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

I am an insanely huge Turtles fan. If the cereal never left the shelves I would probably still be eating it everyday and breeding mutant tapeworms in my belly just because it had the logo on the box. There hasn't been an incarnation of the four in any form of media that I haven't appreciated on some level and I've taken 100% of it in. I saw the trailers and well, it looks really overbaked. That's the best word I could think for it. It looks fun, kind of like a theme park ride would be thought of but like it's trying to hard to be extreme. It's more Turtles so I'm all about it but I don't expect to "wow'd" here, at best just to have some fun and larfs.

XStream

You know, Alice, if you read through my comments in this thread you'll see that I have been very cautious of this movie. Honestly, I've been very critical of everything that I have seen all the way through the second trailer.

But...

The TV spots and Trailer #3 have me a little excited about this movie. The designs, while I still don't love them, seem to work well in the scenes that we see. The turtles are very expressive, and the method used for the facial expression appears to be excellent.

What I really liked about these clips, I see the four turtles that I grew up enjoying. I am actually starting to think I might see this in the theater... I agree with you, these trailers and tv spots seem fun.
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

SickAlice

Um, I was watching an advert for this movie and did Michelangelo ask Megan Fox for some *bowchickawowa*?  :blink:

Podmark

Quote from: SickAlice on August 01, 2014, 06:40:24 PM
Um, I was watching an advert for this movie and did Michelangelo ask Megan Fox for some *bowchickawowa*?  :blink:

But but - Donatello is the one who's supposed to be into April!
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

JeyNyce

At first, I had no intrest in this movie, but after a while it's starting to peek my interest.  I may check this out next week
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

XStream

Quote from: JeyNyce on August 01, 2014, 11:43:23 PM
At first, I had no intrest in this movie, but after a while it's starting to peek my interest.  I may check this out next week

I'm in the same boat, Jey.   :bandwagon  With all the news and certain people attached to the film I had no hope in the beginning. In fact, it wasn't until recent months that I even cared to start following anything about this film. When the character designs were first leaked I really became disinterested.

But with the promos that I have seen, I am looking forward to it. I still haven't decided if I am going to find a babysitter and shell out dough at the theater... or just Redbox it. But I really don't want to wait for it to hit Bluray... And since I can't see Guardians of the Galaxy until next week... it might be a while before I can check it out.

XStream

BentonGrey

Haha, that is awesome!  They are incredibly well balanced characters.  I really love this goofy little analysis of their archetypal nature:
http://www.cracked.com/video_18260_which-ninja-turtle-are-you-lifes-most-important-question.html
Be warned, it's got a bit of language and some slightly saucy bits.

The four Turtles are represented in my group of friends.  We each identify with a different one, with very little overlap.  I've always identified with, of course, the most awesome Turtle of all, Leo. ;)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

XStream

Benton, you will love this.

I recently purchased the first two seasons of 84' TMNT on DVD (wish they were Bluray....) and my girls love them. Most requested DVD in our house. My youngest (two in October) comes running up asking for Ninja Turtles all the time. The hype is so big in our home that I had to create a Ninja Turtles playlist for them on our iTunes and my wife recently bought them each a turtle figure. Paisley (under two) chose Leo and Lexi (three in December) chose Donnie.

Although they like the song to the new show, they don't care much about watching it (although I have enjoyed it). It is a little scary for them at times.

Anyway, I HAVE to see Guardians first. But I am hoping to see the new movie in theaters. I am interested in seeing a review by some of our members.

spydermann93

Guardians review moved to here: http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=56506.msg778083#msg778083

Sorry about that :P

BentonGrey

Spyder, I think you've put that review in the wrong thread, my friend. :)

XS, ha, that's awesome!  How adorable!  It's funny, but these classic toons are just perfectly in tune (forgive the pun) with kids.  I've seen similar results with my nephews and nieces. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

spydermann93

He mentioned Guardians, so I guess my brain lapsed and posted it here :P

BentonGrey

I figured that might be the case. :)
God Bless

XStream

So... Has no one gone to see it yet?

Or was it good and everyone is afraid to disagree with all of the reviewers?

I am off work on Wednesday and I plan to see it after I drop my girls off at school. I really want to see Guardians first, but my wife will kill me if I see Guardians without her.

I bought the first six episodes of the Nick show on Amazon.com for 7.99 and got a free ticket by email. I checked with the local theater and it is good as long as I am not wanting to see in 3D. I'll let you know what I think one way or another Wednesday evening.

JeyNyce

It's not a bad movie, but it could have been better.  If you're a big turtle fan, you may be disappointed.  If you're on the fence about it, wait until it comes out on DVD.

XStream

Jey, I grew up on the Turtles. But I understand this movie is not going to be the same as the 90s movies or the cartoon. I am ok with that. I originally had very low expectations for it, but for the most part I am excited to see it.

I am off tomorrow and both of my little girls will be in MDO... they grow so fast. So I am going to the movie by myself. I hope it is good because Amazon never sent me the promotional code and I have to wait 24-48 hours for them to see if they can fix it now... So instead of a free viewing looks like I will be paying for a matinee.

Anyone see it in 3D?

XStream

Just got the email from Amazon, going for free again!

XStream

Just got back from picking up my girls after the movie, and I really enjoyed it.

Honestly, it felt kind of short. One of those movies where telling the origin kind of held it back. Especially since the origin was already covered as the movie began. I don't agree that there wasn't enough turtles in the movie, but it is true that we only got a glimpse of their personalities. And as usual Leo gets the short end of the stick with being featured the least.

I liked the meld of the differing origins. I was worried the potty humor would be over the top, but I was glad that it was not. If you are looking for the original Eastman and Lard characters, these are not them. But they are the turtles that we know.

There are a few things that just do not make a lot of sense. I have always wished some iteration would explain how the Turtles purchase things. At first it seemed like they would just gather stuff that was thrown away, but Splinter shows up with a fresh Pizza Hut pizza, Mikey has a stash of orange soda, and Donnie at one points admits to licking the icing off all of the pop-tarts and puts them back into the box. Do they steal their food?

In this movie it seems that Leo is still trying to earn the leadership of his brothers, at least to himself. I was never excited to hear that Johnny Knoxville (who incidentally grew up around where I live) was voicing Leo... I don't see that he added any star quality to the character. The motion capture was a different actor so it is just Knoxville's voice. I didn't like it. I wish they had went with the original actor. I have heard him in some interviews.

Donnie is very cool and resourceful. I like that he carries the gadgets around with him. The glasses might add to the personality (since they don't spend much time on characterization of the turtles) but they seem very silly. I mean if the mutagen suped them up so much why would his eyesight be so poor? Wish they had left the glasses out.

Raphael is very central to the story, and his character gets the most depth. He is definitely the classic brooder of the group who struggles to remain part of the team. Without an over the top argument that leads to him practicing kicks on a NYC roof top in broad daylight, he gets separated from his brothers and must rush to their safety. His speech to his brothers at the end of the movie is almost tear jerking. This movie is definitely about the importance of family.

Mikey plays his part well. He seems a little immature compared to his brothers (but only a little). He adds most of the comedy and is fun to watch. There really isn't much more to be said about him.

Splinter... just looks and sounds weird. He probably looks realistic enough and for a super rat who was self taught martial arts holds his own against Shredder pretty well.

April O'neil, this was a surprise. I think Megan Fox did a pretty good job. I mean this isn't the April form past, but she works. I was glad that she wasn't over-sexualized in the movie. There is really only one cheesecake shot in the whole movie.

It was definitely a fun movie, and I will probably pick up the bluray, once it has been discounted. Definitely not as good as it could be, but not a bad movie by any stretch. I say go see it if you want a decent fun action flick.

JeyNyce

Well a squeal has been announced and I'm hoping that they will focus more on the turtles and not just all the humans in the movie

XStream

Podmark

Well those are certainly better, still not in love with them.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

God Bless

HarryTrotter

I see the interest died out.Anyhow,I got around to watching Out of the Shadows.Cant say it was exactly good,but it was fun.Pretty much how a movie of the 80's toon would look like.But when you have so much new stuff(Krang and Technodrome,Bebop and Rocksteady,Casey),turtles get a bit lost in the crowd.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

You know, I did see that one a few months ago. Dumb but fun is exactly how I'd put it. The main thing I can mention is I didn't care for how they did Krang. I felt they made him too weird, and that's saying something since Krang is already pretty weird. I also didn't like how Shredder was used in the film. Stephen Amell was fun but he didn't entirely feel like the character of Casey Jones.

In related news, the creators have said that there probably won't be a third movie. Which I gotta admit is kind of a shame because I'm genuinely curious what new characters they could do. Rat King, Leatherhead, Triceratons, Savanti Romero, Agent Bishop, Hun, Renet. Just as long as they don't spend the whole movie hanging out with samurai and cowboys. ;)
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

If nothing I gotta give them credit for not bludgeoning us with origin stories.Here is Krang,you saw the cartoon,you know who he is.
I did find Amell a bit too clean for Casey,but he was okay.I had a weird vibe that he was meant to be Nobody.
My biggest complain is the hole in the sky finale that every movie in the last 10 years did.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on December 19, 2016, 05:06:45 AM
If nothing I gotta give them credit for not bludgeoning us with origin stories.Here is Krang,you saw the cartoon,you know who he is.

And if we didn't see the cartoon? (Like me?)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Silver Shocker

I did find Amell a bit too clean for Casey,but he was okay.I had a weird vibe that he was meant to be Nobody.

Yeah, you know that would make a little more sense considering the original Nobody's backstory. That being said IDW's run has opened up the idea of Nobody being an identity that, appropriately, isn't tied to one character. Who's to say this version of Casey couldn't just be Nobody?
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Quote from: kkhohoho on December 22, 2016, 05:46:04 AM

And if we didn't see the cartoon? (Like me?)
You could still understand the movie. :)
But,lets face it,its audience are kids(who are watching the current cartoon) and their parents(who saw the original one).So they are not wrong in assuming most people watching the movie are familiar with Krang.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Silver Shocker on December 22, 2016, 06:15:48 AM

Yeah, you know that would make a little more sense considering the original Nobody's backstory. That being said IDW's run has opened up the idea of Nobody being an identity that, appropriately, isn't tied to one character. Who's to say this version of Casey couldn't just be Nobody?
Its possible,April was Nobody for a while in Mirage continuity,so why not Casey?
Jon Farmer