News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Cover rating Thunderbolts #1

Started by HarryTrotter, January 07, 2017, 09:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 being the highest ofc

HarryTrotter

And a better version that doesn't fit here.
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/d/d5/Thunderbolts_Vol_1_1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160423150359
Here is something i think everyone should be familiar with(at least thru its numerous homages)- Thunderbolts v1 #1 by Mark Bagley.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

2: The basic concept and layout is good, but the art is too 90s-ish EXTREME for my tastes.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 07, 2017, 04:12:19 PM
2: The basic concept and layout is good, but the art is too 90s-ish EXTREME for my tastes.
Mark Bagley is Extreme?Really?
Im a bit confused now. :|
Jon Farmer

daglob

I think he means extremely '90s, not Extreme the way Marvel was using it a few years ago (which, as near as I can tell, means everyone wearing armor panels, keyholes, dark colors, and sunglasses. Sunglasses?).

HarryTrotter

I got that,but considering Marvels title of that decade,it really wasnt that extreme.
I mean this was coming after Heroes Reborn,the infamous reboot that came after Onslaught Saga.Less said about any of those,the better.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

I've never read Thunderbolts, though I've heard lots of good things about it.  I'm talking purely about art and design.  It strikes me as being 90s-ish, which is to say, extreme, in the sense that 90s designs sought to be edgy and exciting, though they only managed to look goofy and over-designed. 

This is far from the worst example of such, and I may have been a bit too harsh rating it a 2, but I look at it and I think, 'Rob Liefeld, softened.'
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

HarryTrotter

Sorry,but I dont see it that way.I complained about the current series being too 90's,but thats a different thing.
I really cant see similarities between Liefeld and Bagley,of all people.But thats just me,I guess. :|
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

I don't know his work outside of that cover, but that's what it reminds me of. 
God Bless

Podmark

I gave it a 4. It's a great iconic image, but something about holds it off from getting a 5 from me. I'm really not sure what but it just doesn't hit that extra level for me.

Mark Bagley is an amazing artist, one of my favourites during the 90s and 2000s. I feel like his work is starting to age now, but he's still great. He's hands down my favorite Spider-Man artist.
I must admit to being surprised you're not more familiar with him Benton, but I guess it makes sense considering the books he's worked on.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

To be fair, I kinda get where Benton's getting that from... the lighting and composition of the cover highlights the muscles in a way that isn't actually present in the books proper. However, unlike Liefeld's insanity, the start contrast here is being done intentionally... it's supposed to reflect the lightning going on in the background. The group pose is also fantastic, reminiscent of several classic superhero face offs (the one that jumps to my mind immediately is the Old vs New X-men face off cover from "Uncanny" X-men #100). It's meant to evoke the feeling of classic superhero comics with this brand new team, before pulling the rug out from under the readers.

On the whole, I gave it a 4, though honestly it almost deserves a 5. It's an homage to a classic cover style, but with enough of a twist to keep it interesting even if you don't know the content of the book.

bat1987

Gave it a like. Very iconic, it does have that 90s vibe to it.