News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Back to sweet Academia

Started by thalaw2, July 25, 2016, 11:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thalaw2

I'm sure everyone has been wondering why I've been posting less than before. <sound of crickets>  It's a long story so here it is:

I was working in China for 12 years as an English teacher.  In my last position I made it to EFL teacher and Computer Science teacher for an IB school.  I loved my job and made a good living in beautiful Shanghai.  Unfortunately, my mother became ill last Summer.  She was diagnosed with stage 4 cervical cancer.  I returned to the US to help my sister take care of her.  Her condition worsened very quickly and she passed away in November.  her dying wish was to see my son, who was born in April last year.  Unfortunately, due to a lot of ridiculous red tape regarding foreign nationals born abroad it was difficult to get him here.  My wife and son arrived just after my mother passed.  After the funeral and a period of grieving I was ready to return to China, but my wife and sister wanted me to stay in the USA.  I decided this time to listen to family and quit my dream job in Shanghai to respect their wishes.  I was worried I wouldn't be able to get a good job since I'm not over 40.

Since that time I have worked odd jobs to make ends meet.  My wife has been working a lot of overtime and we have been taking care of our child.  We haven't had much time for a breather.  I got some steady work doing graveyard in a warehouse for a very large company.  I don't want to name the company, but here's a hint: largest company in the world. 

I've been applying relentlessly to higher Ed jobs in California and finally my prayers and efforts have been answered.  I should be starting as an ESL Lecturer at pretty well known university next month.  Thank God!  I've been wanting to quit my graveyard shift job, but I don't want to leave my family in health insurance limbo and I want to leave on good terms with the company...even if it is a big evil empire...they've take care of me and my family when no other company would hire me. 

All this to say that life is still good!  And it's possible to start a career over after 40.   

Keep positive FF family.
革命不会被电视转播

detourne_me

Congratulations on getting things back on track, man. My condolences to your family, it's really unfair that she couldn't see her grandchild due to immigration stuff. 
I'm in a similar situation, teaching ESL in Korea for the past decade, and recently have been wondering about what I'd do if we moved to Canada.
Congratulations on getting back into education, I wish you and your family all the best!

BentonGrey

Hey Thalaw!  That's good news.  I'm sorry to hear about your loss and the trouble surrounding it, but it does seem that things are looking up.  I love ESL teaching, having done some of it myself.  It's a great vocation.  Good luck in your new position!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

stumpy

Sorry I am late to this thread. But, despite the reason for your initial return and the difficulties surrounding it, I am glad to hear you are back and that things are going your way. :)
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Cyber Burn

I'm really sorry for everything that you had to go through to get to where you are now, but for what it's worth, it's guys like you, DM, and Benton, whose personalities I've watched over the years, have been a really positive influence in helping me to continue my Education during times when I've struggled. It's reassuring to know that there are still some good Teachers out there.

thalaw2

Wow!  I didn't think that post went though.  When I pressed post the whole screen went blank.  I did't feel like typing it again so I let it go.  It's good to see it here and good to see all the support.
革命不会被电视转播