Voices inside my head, echoes of things that you said...

Started by daglob, June 09, 2016, 02:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

It started this morning as I was reading the newest Doc Savage book ("Glare of the Gorgon"), and realized that the Doc I was seeing was the older version of James Bama's Doc: trim, muscular, craggy (Steve Holland), but not the body builder he was in some of Bama's later covers. The voice I hear is, I think, that of a guy who used to narrate for Disney. Maybe the guy had an accent, but I don't hear that part. I know how all the pulp artists portrayed him, and I have seen the movie with Ron Ely, but my Doc is Steve Holland.

But it made me think... The voice I hear The Shadow use is Orson Welles, despite there being a lot more episodes of his radio show by several other talented actors. Margo in my mind sounds more like Lana Turner than Agnes Morehead.

When I read the James Bond books, he was, of course Sean Connery. Fu Manchu kinda sounds like Boris Karloff. As you can see, a lot of these are tied to other media versions.

Superman is Chris Reeve in my head (despite having grown up on George Reeves), Batman is a lot like Robert Brown (played Lazarus on Star Trek "The Alternative Factor"), Wonder Woman is Linda Carter, Catwoman is Julie Newmar (I don't care how you dress her, CATWOMAN IS JULIE NEWMAR!).

I think Spiderman sounds like the guy who voiced him in the '60s cartoon (Google says that was Paul Soles), and the FF sound like their '60s Hanna Barbera incarnations (Gerald Mohr, Jo Ann Pflug, Jac Flounders, and Paul Frees as Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben), but Doc Doom sounds like Conrad Veidt. I'm not sure whose voice I assign to Captain America, but The Red Skull is Eric Braden and has been for years.

What prompted me to post this, was that later I saw a preview page from Whacky Raceworld, and realized that Penelope Pittstop was still Janet Waldo, and Dick Dastardly was still Paul Winchell, despite looking like a Buff Johnny Depp.

So, who supplies the voices for the characters in your head?

Talavar

I don't always 'picture' specific voices when I'm reading, but one I do is Kevin Conroy as Batman.  And if the lines don't read like something he would say, it doesn't seem like Batman to me.

HarryTrotter

^Ditto.I "hear" every DC character as their DCAU counterpart.
Judge Dredd is sorta Clint Eastwood.
Marvel heroes have a lot weirder casting.Josh Keaton is Spiderman,and Invincible.Keith David(Spawn) is Ghost Rider(all of them).And Spawn ofc.And sometimes Doctor Doom,On the other hand,I hear Reed Richards as  a softer version of Don Drapper.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer