Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Marvel/ DC Counterparts

Started by JeyNyce, July 10, 2015, 02:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkhohoho

Quote from: JeyNyce on July 20, 2015, 01:00:45 PM
Superman/ Icon

Sorry, but Superman and Icon technically belong to the same company. I made that mistake myself, actually.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

JeyNyce

Quote from: kkhohoho on July 20, 2015, 04:00:54 PM
Quote from: JeyNyce on July 20, 2015, 01:00:45 PM
Superman/ Icon

Sorry, but Superman and Icon technically belong to the same company. I made that mistake myself, actually.

Oh, I knew, but I just to put it out there.  At one time Milestone and DC were separate from each other.  Also, this shows how companies can clone their own characters.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

SickAlice

Quote from: Spade on July 20, 2015, 04:44:13 AM
Does Wildstorm counts,because that would be whole page worth.

For certainly though I'm sure the first generation of Image characters all together were intentional riffs on the big two in order to poo them for not given enough creator credit, much of that first line integrating character footnotes the Image creators themselves introduced for either company while in their employ. Obviously Rob took it to new heights with Awesome Comics but being notoriously rebellious has always been said to be his modus operandi so I failed to see the surprise as it came along myself.

daglob

Weird thought:

Batman=Spider-Man

The grounds for this is remembering what supposed Kirby versions of the character might have looked like, and the overall feel of Spidey in the first few years. It's like Stan took a Batman-like character and said to himself "how can we change this?", and, with Steve Ditko's help, they did.

Talavar

I've always thought Spider-man = Jimmy Olson, just in a world where there is no Superman.

daglob

In a world where Hulk=Superman, Rick Jones would =Jimmy Olsen, and maybe Snapper Carr.

JeyNyce

Would Lois Lane= Mary Jane?  They are DC & Marvel main leading character girlfriends. Thinking about that now, who would be DC & Marvel's first lady of comics?  Lois Lane, Wonder Woman?  Mary Jane, She-Hulk, The Wasp?

HarryTrotter

Wonder Woman.
As for Marvel...Carol Danvers?Storm,maybe?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on July 23, 2015, 04:12:49 AM
Wonder Woman.
As for Marvel...Carol Danvers?Storm,maybe?

Yeah, Marvel's never really had one 'leading' female character for most of it's history. Carol, Storm, and Wasp are all candidates, but Storm and Wasp are usually just members and sometime-leaders of their respective super-teams, rather than having their own books and little worlds of their own. Carol, on the other hand, was set back by nearly two decades after 'that-which-we-shall-never-speak-of' happened in Avengers #200, and it's only in the last 15 or years or so that she's finally gotten enough steam to even start being Marvel's leading female, though I think if/when her movie comes out, she might finally have enough footing and publicity to properly do so. (And trust me, she needs that movie. She may still have her own comic, but it's not getting very high sales, and at this point, Marvel's publishing it more because they want to push Carol rather than because she's actually making a profit.)

HarryTrotter

Mephisto/Neron
Strange how Mephisto can match almost everyone.
Actually who would be the top Devil in either universe?
I dont know that much about Marvels hell,and DCs hell is VERY;VERY complicated.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on July 24, 2015, 03:24:22 PM

So is Marvel's, in that they've got several different hell's, each with their own Hell Lord to accompany them. You've got Mephisto and his Hell, you've got Satannih and his hell, you've got a demon named Marduk Kurios who also has his own hell -- you know, I'd better just put up a list, because there are LOT of Hell Lords in Marvel. (You can thank Wikipedia for most of the list.)

Asmodeus
    Baphomet
    Beelzeboul
    Blackheart
    Hela
    Hellstorm (Used to be a classic Defender once upon a time, if you can believe it,)
    Lucifer
    Marduk Kurios
    Mephisto
    Olivier
    Pluto
    Satannish
    Satana, Satan(nish)'s Daughter (Not sure if she's still a Helllord though. Last I checked, she joined up with the Thunderbolts, though she hasn't really been a     member for the last couple of years either, so I'm not certain of what's up with her. )
    Thog

Hela and Pluto are a bit more iffy, as their realms aren't technically 'Hell', but when a bunch of Hell Lords showed up in the penultimate arc of Peter David's X-Factor, (which is a must-read and a modern classic if you haven't read it,) Hela and Pluto were right there with 'em, so I guess they count. And on top of all that, any planets with their own religions also have their own after-lives such as the Skrulls, which means there might be at the very least a Skrull Hell Lord out there somewhere too.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: kkhohoho on July 24, 2015, 04:03:54 PM
Quote from: Spade on July 24, 2015, 03:24:22 PM

So is Marvel's, in that they've got several different hell's, each with their own Hell Lord to accompany them. You've got Mephisto and his Hell, you've got Satannih and his hell, you've got a demon named Marduk Kurios who also has his own hell -- you know, I'd better just put up a list, because there are LOT of Hell Lords in Marvel. (You can thank Wikipedia for most of the list.)

Asmodeus
    Baphomet
    Beelzeboul
    Blackheart
    Hela
    Hellstorm (Used to be a classic Defender once upon a time, if you can believe it,)
    Lucifer
    Marduk Kurios
    Mephisto
    Olivier
    Pluto
    Satannish
    Satana, Satan(nish)'s Daughter (Not sure if she's still a Helllord though. Last I checked, she joined up with the Thunderbolts, though she hasn't really been a     member for the last couple of years either, so I'm not sure. )
    Thog

Hela and Pluto are a bit more iffy, as their realms aren't technically 'Hell', but when a bunch of Hell Lords showed up in the penultimate arc of Peter David's X-Factor, (which is a must-read and a modern classic if you haven't read it,) Hela and Pluto were right there with 'em, so I guess they count. And on top of all that, any planets with their own religions also have their own after-lives such as the Skrulls, which means there might be at the very least a Skrull Hell Lord out there somewhere too.

Mephisto,Hellstorm,Satana,Blackheart...I knew 4 out of million,not bad. XD
Last I saw Satana she was with Thunderbolts.Not sure what happened after.Im actually kinda motivated to read Thunderbolts again.  :thumbup:
There is another event where heroes fought (sorta) heroes: Avengers/Thunderbolts.Also the last time Tony Stark was cool.
And speaking of TBs Stong Guy was the ruler of hell for a while.Imagine that...

If you count Vertigo as part of DC universe(sometimes it is,sometimes it isnt) then Lucifer and First of the Fallen are most prominent.Neron and million others in the mainstream.Its complicated,like I said.
And there is also Tartarus.And a few others.
I cant remember any appearances of hell in New52 right now,so if somebody can they should share it.  ;)
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

On an earlier point,Timberwolf predates Wolverine by whole 10 years.So Wolverine is based on him.Probably.
Wildstorm and image loved Wolverine clones.Warblade,Ripclaw,Troll...
Also,Wildcats were pretty obviously based on X-men.
Blue Marvel is another Superman expy.And then there was Earth-23 Superman.Interesting.
Jon Farmer

Outcast

Giant-Man and....Apache Chief?

Not sure if Apache Chief made it into the comics as much as Giant-Man. I think Giant-Man was more popular though.

Can't think of anyone else in DC that had growth powers. Were there anymore that were more popular to comic fans?

JeyNyce

Giganta and Attack of the 50 foot Woman

HarryTrotter

Something a bit different.What characters they share?Like how both universes have Morgan le Fay,Ares,Hercules and so on...
Jon Farmer

daglob

Yeah, I always liked BOTH DC's and Marvel's Frankensteins, although they were very different characters.
... and even from the same source materiel...

BentonGrey

Don't they both have Circe too?

It's funny how they mine mythologies and end up with entirely different versions of the same characters.  Of course, sometimes they are more similar than different, as with their versions of Hercules.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

There are also several versions of Thor in DC.One from Fourth World is very similar to Marvels(since Fourth World is sort of a sequel to Asgard),and the one from Sandman is nothing like Marvels Thor.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Also both companies have Enchantress and Firebrand.
So if Joe Ledger was Hal Jordan,is the current Doctor Spectrum counterpart to Jessica Cruz?
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Now,ignoring Deathstroke,who would be DC's version of Deadpool?Lobo?Hitman?Maybe Animal-man because of 4th wall breaking?Thou its played differently,and AM did it first...
Jon Farmer

OrWolvie1

Personally, I always figured that Deathstroke was way to honorable/single minded/serious to be a DC version of Deadpool or Lobo. However, Marvel did have their own version, in a sense, and that would be Taskmaster. Both enhanced humans, both accomplished assassins in their own right, even their color schemes are somewhat similar. I always considered Taskmaster to be a human version of the Super Adaptoid/Deathstroke clone in that regard, IMHO.

daglob

Super Adaptoid=Amazo (Silver Age)

Super Skrull=Composite Superman... maybe.

HarryTrotter

Well,Deadpool was a Deathstroke clone in his first apperences,it was only later that he took shape as his own character.
Amazo is organic now,so...
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

If you guys are reading Harley Quinn then you know who Red Tool is a spoof of

HarryTrotter

Of Deadpool?
Dont know if anyone mentioned it,but when Priest writes him,Black Panther is Batman,down to the cape.Crazy gadgets and all.

By the same line,who would be Cable?
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

http://41.media.tumblr.com/ee797cf0fdd6f3b76bd2e3fafe35517d/tumblr_nj435yZrEm1tagw4ro1_500.jpg
No prizes in guessing who Earth 3 Deathstoke is supposed to be.
Also from Superman/Batman: The Maximums
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/4/41/Maximums_001.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150509170851
Guess who?Irony of Jeph Loeb writing this before moving on to Ultimates wasnt lost on anyone.
Also in the same story;Atomic Skull shows up on a bike as a reference to Ghost Rider.
Jon Farmer

spydermann93

Man, every time I see that Deadpool Deathstroke scene, I can't help but laugh

Deadpool Deathstroke: "Starring everyone's  hero-- Glurk!"
Batman and Superman: "uhh.... what?"

:lol: