News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

the price of comics

Started by bearded, May 01, 2016, 01:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded

I am rethinking about purchasing. I have a friend who writes books, and she was complained to about how expensive they are. She countered with how much one can spend at starbuck, for a drink gone in 20 minutes. You get the idea.
So, I am going to go and buy some comics. They are down to 2.99 now. What is good now?

HarryTrotter

You mean what ongoing series are good?Thou most issues are 3.99 now.
X-O Manowar,Bloodshot Reborn,Imperium,almost everything else Valiant.
IDWs Transformers,TMNT.
You have some preferences?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

bearded

It looked like a lot of marvel and dc was 2.99 at the store yesterday. I spent my time looking in the dollar bin for 80's comics.
Is Valient as good as when Shooter started it? Or is Shooter actually doing it?

HarryTrotter

Imo,its better.
Anyway,everyone should really give Valiant a chance.I cant stress that enough.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

If you're not reading Atomic Robo and Astro City, you're missing out!  Seriously, every month those are some of the best comics ever written.

Also, if you're a fan of the classic Larry Hama G.I. JOE comics, you should be reading his revival of A Real American Hero.  It's also fantastic.  Spade is right about TMNT as well (I can't comment on the others).
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

bearded

Thank you BG.
What specifically have you read this month, still probably on the racks, that made you think, "That was really good."? I'm looking for things I can pick up now. Don't worry about 'jump on' points. I can figure out ongoing stories, I'm sure.

baley

I very much second Astro City. I'm so happy that someone else reads it! Busiek is the greatest living comics writer, IMO.

BentonGrey

Baley, you are probably right!  Busiek is amazing.

Bearded, I'm afraid I'm several months behind because I get my comics shipped to me when enough of them build up to get me free shipping from the comic book store.  It looks like Astro City is on issue 34, and the last I read was 31.  That one might still be on the shelves, and it really was quite wonderful, especially if you've read the first volume of the comic.  From what I can tell from covers and synopses, the arc that starts at 32 and ends at 34 should also be good, as it features a really awesome character.  Also, because every issue is good. ;)

My guess is you really can't go wrong with any of the books I recommended.  As a bonus, Atomic Robo is actually available for free online these days, if you want to catch up.  It's absolutely worth buying, and I'm still doing just that, which should tell you how much fun that book is.
http://www.atomic-robo.com/
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

I could also recommend Wayward.But it may not be to everyones taste.
If anyone is interesting in Valiant,4001AD starts this week.Good place as any to start,I guess.
And their volume 1's are priced 9.99,so if your looking to save...
Jon Farmer