New Spider-man Movie

Started by JeyNyce, July 02, 2010, 02:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podmark

I saw it yesterday, I enjoyed it but wasn't amazing or anything.
All the Spidey action was great, and the new suit is about 95% perfect - LOVE the mask.
Electro looked pretty cool. I enjoyed the Rhino's appearances.

My biggest problems were with the Osborns:
Spoiler

Norman was just wasted. One scene and then dead. But honestly I'm suspicious.

Harry just seemed like his story moved too quickly in too little screen time. He didn't really need to be Peter's friend in this story, they don't spend that much time together in the film.

The movie seemed like it had too much going on to properly develop all the elements.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Silver Shocker

I saw it. i thought it was entertaining. it dragged just a little bit but I didn't really think it was boring. Spidey suit looked good. I saw it in 3D (which I usually don't see movies in, haven't really been impressed with the 3D in any of the ones I've seen) and it was kind of worth seeing in 3D since a lot of the action scenes have slow-down sequences and shots where is flying at the foreground. I didn't particularly like Electro as a character but his powers were well implemented in the movie, and I kinda dug his techno-style theme music.

Spoiler
Rhino's appearances were in line with what I was expecting. I didn't really like the way the Rhino suit looked, but I liked the way it moved, and I was amused by the rhino charge he did. I thought that was neat. Paul Giamatti didn't much to do as the character, but he was entertaining with the small amount of material he had. I was a little surprised that Martin Sheen didn't make a cameo as Uncle Ben. I'm not sure where you would have added one but I kinda expected to see one. I'm also a little surprised there wasn't a post or mid credits scene (other than that X-Men clip), since people have pretty much come to expect them from these super hero movies (even the X-Men and Spider-Man ones nowadays) and the last one had one.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

I haven't seen it yet, but I have a friend who filled me in on it (and gave me some major spoilers, but nothing I didn't already get from accidentally reading TUE's post ages ago) and I'm excited. Yeah, it's not going to be another Captain America or Avengers, but I enjoyed the first film and the only aspect I was worried about with regards to this one sounds like it was done very well.

stumpy

Quote from: Podmark on May 04, 2014, 10:03:14 PMI saw it yesterday, I enjoyed it but wasn't amazing or anything.

Not a great sign.  :huh:
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Starman

It was a hot mess of moving parts, characters and effects but at the same time ... not particularly exciting? I also found the Richard Parker subplot disinteresting and unneeded.

Plus, it's hard not to notice the attempted "universe" building where the film sets up a sequel, sets up potential film spin-offs, etc.

It's kind of a big jumble of characters and plot threads, not unlike the '90s Spider-Man comics, I guess.

thalaw2

I saw this movie today and I thought it was great!  The only gripe I would have are some soundtrack choices.  I'm glad i didn't read any spoilers and didn't pay attention to the negative hype.  I didn't see where there were too many things forced into the movie to the point where they looked out of place.  I like the origin stories and I think this sticks more to source in some ways than the SpiderMan franchise of films.  I was thinking this movie wouldn't be as good as Spiderman 2, but IMO it was better.  Perhaps, it can be argued that the movie was more Peter Parker is Spiderman rather than Amazing Spiderman since it did seem to be a movie about Peter Parker who just happened to also be spiderman at some points, but I didn't mind these diversions.  They were much better scripted than previous SpiderMan movies. 

I agree with MJB in that this film was awesome.  I can't say it was not as good as Cap 2...for me the stories are too different to compare.  ASM 2 actually explores Peter Parker more whereas Cap2 still leaves the Cap as a mystery man. 

anyway...go see it if you haven't.
革命不会被电视转播

Tomato

I finally got to see this film yesterday (spent my weekend off going to sister's graduation, which is when I normally see these movies.) And... yeah, the negative hype is just wasted. There's a lot going on, certainly, but the elements aren't handled badly like they are in other films we've seen before. It's a fun ride, easily my favorite Spiderman film to date.

steamteck

I thought it was enjoyable " but m not amazing". Gwen was great and their chemistry was solid. Spydy was really Spydy  but the story didn't send me. Electro was interesting but not so the Goblin. Still it certainly doesn't deserve to be rotten on Rotten tomatoes nor have a lower score  than Spider-man 3.

spydermann93

Quote from: steamteck on May 21, 2014, 09:29:20 PMStill it certainly doesn't deserve to be rotten on Rotten tomatoes nor have a lower score  than Spider-man 3.

If it means anything, Amazing Spider-Man 2 has a better rating than Spider-Man 3 on IMDB :P

Spoiler
I liked this movie, actually.  Never saw the first one (it didn't interest me enough to go see it), but I was convinced by my friends to see this one.  While not the perfect film nor is it my favorite "Marvel" movie, I'd definitely watch it again.  I actually found it surprising with the amount of negative reception for the film, and while I understand why they didn't like certain aspects (Peter is too cool to be Peter; Harry Goblin rather than Norman Goblin; two minutes of Rhino), a lot of the more extreme reactions, I feel, are undeserved.

XStream

I finally got to go see Captain America: The Winter Soldier two weeks ago! I know, I know... I am not in the wrong thread. They canceled our showing to make room for a second showing of "Million Dollar Arm" and we ended up seeing Amazing Spider-Man 2. To be honest, I didn't want to see the movie. I wanted to see Cap first, and even let my wife choose the movie (thinking she would pick Mom's Night Out or something... But she picked ASM2.

I enjoyed it, but it felt long. I honestly had a difficult time enjoying this movie because I had been so excited to finally see Cap... I knew this movie would not surpass those expectations. I think what I enjoyed so much about the first one was that I had low expectations.

If it sounds like I didn't enjoy the movie... well I did. I thought it was great, and I look forward to purchasing it on Bluray so that I can see it again without the feeling of disappointment before the movie actually began.

As I said before I love Garfield in this role. I didn't get that his character was jerkish (except maybe at graduation), and I like his Peter Parker. I don't think this story (including ASM) deserve a dork, it needs a nerd. And although this Peter comes off as kind of cool for us, he is still very nerdy. Let's be honest, nerdy is becoming a trend and thanks to public nerds like Zachary Levi the face of nerddom is changing. (Yeah, big Chuck fan!). Emma is perfect as Gwen and although I knew it was going to happen
Spoiler
I was a little bit sad knowing her character would no longer be in this series of movies (except the necessary flashbacks)

Did anyone else feel the Richard Parker storyline was a little unnecessary? I know that for the whole arc it is very necessary, but this movie would be no different without it. It only added a little conflict that lead to Peter realizing that he needed Gwen to help him sort through things.
Spoiler
And it provided the largest plot hole. If you have created genetic spiders and used your DNA, and you must flee your life in order to keep your son safe... why in the name of Stan Lee would you record a video revealing that information? Doesn't that paint a target on your only offspring as the sole source of unlocking the mystery...!? I mean, come on Richard, what were you thinking!? Good thing Peter found it and not Norman Osborn! Speaking of which...

I thought the whole illness creating the goblin was a good twist. Norman wasn't just some nutso that wanted revenge. Although,
Spoiler
killing him off (I know there are rumors that he was actually preserved) seemed like a bad choice. And I was not too fond of Harry's storyline. That was one thing the original trilogy did pretty well... You cared about Harry, even when he became a ridiculous goblin knock-off.

Anyway, I like the movie overall. I know some people were disappointed with how the Rhino was treated, but I for one am glad we saw very little of that exo suit... And I thought the ending was fun... I liked the movie... honestly.... What? I did!
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

Tomato

So I know I'm doing some MAJOR thread necromancy here, but I just saw the alternate ending for ASM2... and I am just dumbfounded as to why it wasn't the real ending, since it is SO MUCH BETTER than the nonsense Rhino ending we got in the theatrical release.

For those who haven't seen it, I actually came across it more or less on accident while searching for videos featuring ASM2 skin mods (to be fair, I'm pretty sure I have the movie on Blu Ray somewhere in my boxes, but I never bothered to pull it out) so it's not really that hard to find if you're looking for it. Here's a quick summary (In Spoilers for those who haven't seen the film.)
Spoiler

So after Gwen's funeral, we see a few silent shots of Peter visiting Gwen's grave, the implication that he's been visiting the grave a great deal. Eventually, the camera pans across Peter's shoulder, revealing Richard Parker, alive. He tells Peter why he left, why he never came back for him... and then the two have a very emotional discussion about loss, and about how Richard was wrong in thinking that him leaving would somehow keep the research locked away, that it was never his destiny to take on the responsibility for it, but Peter's. And in his closing remarks to his son, what would have practically been the last line of the movie, he tells Peter

"With great power, comes great responsibility."

Now, for those reading this and being a bit put off by it, I would encourage you to actually watch the scene before leaping to any conclusions. The scene is beautifully shot, beautifully acted, and manages to end things on a slightly somber note, but still a hopeful one. I'm gonna go back into spoilers in a second for something more in depth, but had THIS been the real ending, there might have been some fans upset over the change, but it would have made it a much better FILM.

Spoiler
One of the biggest issues I, and many others I've talked to, had with the Rhino ending is that it basically destroys the emotional impact of Gwen's death. We go from Peter mourning her loss, to being back in the Spider-Man suit stopping bad guys again in a very short time. This alternate ending, while a bit problematic from the "omg they are focusing too much on the dad in this series" perspective (which I admittedly agree with), doesn't diminish that loss. It also ties together the loose ends related to the Richard Parker plotline, and gives them a reason to be in this movie to begin with. Overall, it's SUCH a better ending, and having seen it, I have literally been fuming about it for over and hour and a half.