Marvel Studios head explains how to make a good superhero film

Started by catwhowalksbyhimself, May 08, 2016, 05:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

When talking about the not made by them Deadpool movie, he had this to say.

QuoteWe've always said if there's any 'secret' it's respect the source material, understand the source material and then, any adaptation you make from the source material should be done only to enhance whatever the original pure spirit of the source material was.

And that ladies and gentlemen, is why the Marvel movies are so consistently good.  They get it.

Just wish the DC people would.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

Astonishing!  :P  It's only what we've all said all along.  It's amazing that this is such a difficult concept to grasp for some people.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

OrWolvie1

I that what it takes? i never would have guessed that in a million years!  :rolleyes:

HarryTrotter

I wouldnt say consistently good,coughIronMan3cough...but still better then DCEU for now.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

daglob

That's more or less the complaint I've had about most TV adaptations of comic book characters (the worst being Jon Sable-remember that?). There just seemed to be a tendency to "improve" on the source material (see my previous comments about adulterating stuff). This whole "my vision" stuff is just an extension of that.

I said when Spiderman 1 came out lo those many years ago that it wasn't the Spiderman of my youth, but you could see that Sam Rami and company had a respect (maybe a love) for the source material.

I think the original "vision" Stan and company had of these characters was "if we do this character, it will be fun, it will entertain people, they will continue to buy comics, we will continue to make money, and everyone will be happy". That is NOT a bad vision, nor an invalid one.

Since Alan Moore did The Watchmen and Miracleman, far too many creators have tried to do them all over again, with uneven results. 

HarryTrotter

To be fair,Watchmen was not the first deconstruction,Sqadron Supreme and Elementals predate it a bit.And Zenith Phase 1 was running around the same time.But yeah,deconstructing has been done to death now.  :mellow:
Seinfeld is unfunny effect.

Seeing we cant get a good Superman movie,it would be nice if we got Supreme or Superior,or Huck.Well,I guess everyone is a better Superman then the DCEU version.
Jon Farmer

spydermann93

I am dying for an amazing Superman movie.

He, along with Spider-Man and Captain America (and Wolverine), is one of my top heroes.

BentonGrey

Spade, Iron Man 3 is the clear exception, but even if we don't give Marvel the benefit of the doubt (Iron Man 2), they've still made good-to-great movies 84% of the time.  That's a solid B average, and especially impressive considering WB's (generous) 42%, which counts all three Nolan movies as "good."  Sorry, I'm in the middle of grading.  I'm thinking in percentages...percentages everywhere!  :P

Yeah, it's a crying shame that the same love and reverence for the characters and concepts that Marvel has brought to the screen have been denied my favorite characters.  I would LOVE to see a good Superman movie.  I'd KILL to see a good Aquaman movie, but neither of those seems to have much chance any time soon.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

daglob

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 08, 2016, 07:20:08 PM
Spade, Iron Man 3 is the clear exception, but even if we don't give Marvel the benefit of the doubt (Iron Man 2), they've still made good-to-great movies 84% of the time.  That's a solid B average, and especially impressive considering WB's (generous) 42%, which counts all three Nolan movies as "good."  Sorry, I'm in the middle of grading.  I'm thinking in percentages...percentages everywhere!  :P

Yeah, it's a crying shame that the same love and reverence for the characters and concepts that Marvel has brought to the screen have been denied my favorite characters.  I would LOVE to see a good Superman movie.  I'd KILL to see a good Aquaman movie, but neither of those seems to have much chance any time soon.

As it stands right now, Benton, if you see an Aquaman movie you won't be the one doing the killing...

daglob

Quote from: Spade on May 08, 2016, 05:26:11 PM
To be fair,Watchmen was not the first deconstruction,Sqadron Supreme and Elementals predate it a bit.And Zenith Phase 1 was running around the same time.But yeah,deconstructing has been done to death now.  :mellow:
Seinfeld is unfunny effect.

Seeing we cant get a good Superman movie,it would be nice if we got Supreme or Superior,or Huck.Well,I guess everyone is a better Superman then the DCEU version.

Funny thing is, Stan, Jack, and Steve started it all back in the '60s by trying to figure out what super heroes would be like in the real world.

BentonGrey

Quote from: daglob on May 08, 2016, 08:38:35 PM
Quote from: BentonGrey on May 08, 2016, 07:20:08 PM

As it stands right now, Benton, if you see an Aquaman movie you won't be the one doing the killing...

:(
God Bless

spydermann93

You know, I don't necessarily mind Aquaman killing in comics or a movie. I kinda feel like he's in a position like Thor or Captain America; he'd kill, but only if he needs to. He's a king and being a warrior kind of comes with the territory.

Not saying that he should just straight up murder every bad guy he sees (looking at you, Batfleck), but I wouldn't say it's out of his character if he did end up killing some people in his movie(s).

kkhohoho

Quote from: spydermann93 on May 09, 2016, 12:05:21 AM
You know, I don't necessarily mind Aquaman killing in comics or a movie. I kinda feel like he's in a position like Thor or Captain America; he'd kill, but only if he needs to. He's a king and being a warrior kind of comes with the territory.

Not saying that he should just straight up murder every bad guy he sees (looking at you, Batfleck), but I wouldn't say it's out of his character if he did end up killing some people in his movie(s).

Honestly, I thought the one getting 'killed' here was actually Aquaman, as in his character getting 'killed' by the director. Though that works too. ;)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

BentonGrey

Quote from: spydermann93 on May 09, 2016, 12:05:21 AM

I think, and I imagine Arthur would agree with me in every good comic interpretation, that there is a huge gulf of difference between allowing the possibility of death through due process as a king in charge of a judicial system and personally taking the decision to end a life without any appeal, mitigation, or outside input.  I'm ignoring any terrible story that places Aquaman as part of a 'warrior race' or wild child first, because that's a corruption of the character.  If he's a lighthouse keeper's son, then his moral development is actually parallel to Superman's.  He learns his own fallibility and limitations before he learns of the power he has, and this keeps him humble in the most important sense, the knowledge that he has no right to become judge, jury, and executioner.  Is he willing to kill monsters?  Yes, though he never enjoys that prospect.  Is he willing to kill if Atlantis goes to war, with deep reservation, because he has a hero's reverence for life, but yes.  Is he willing to kill an enemy in his role as a superhero?  Definitely not. 

To his lasting credit, Johns' treatment of the character got that right, though it also made Mera super bloodthirsty...something my wife, who is one lab accident away from being a supervillain, appreciates.  ;)
God Bless

spydermann93

I pretty much agree with you on this. I was mainly referring to his role as a protector of his kingdom (admittedly, "warrior" was a poor choice of words on my part), and if he does need to kill to protect his kingdom and family, I think I'll feel ok with that. Killing just to kill or just killing somebody that broke a law, e.g. a common crook (or even just to be "edgy")? Yeah, no, that's not going to fly with me.

I would definitely prefer him to be the peacekeeper and seek a non-lethal approach to a problem in his civil duties as King to his people and a member of the Justice League, but if they do have him take a life (which they almost certainly will), as long as they show me that he does so with remorse and hesitation, I can't say that I'll be mad.

BentonGrey

I see what you're saying, Spyder.  I can't imagine they'll deliver on sincere remorse or believable hesitation, not in this movie-verse, and not with the 'underwater Conan' approach they seem to be taking.
God Bless

catwhowalksbyhimself

Chances are, they'll end up accidentally making at least one good film.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

HarryTrotter

It would be funny if Marvel made a Squadron Supreme movie.

Also,I cant wait for Image to start their own shared cinematic universe.We all now its just a matter of time. :)
Jon Farmer

spydermann93

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 09, 2016, 03:02:58 AM
Chances are, they'll end up accidentally making at least one good film.

With how much they're throwing at us, they'd have to, right? RIGHT!?

Quote from: Spade on May 09, 2016, 05:31:11 AM
It would be funny if Marvel made a Squadron Supreme movie.

:lol:

Quote from: Spade on May 09, 2016, 05:31:11 AMAlso,I cant wait for Image to start their own shared cinematic universe.We all now its just a matter of time. :)

Honestly, even if they just did Invincible, I'd be really happy with it.

HarryTrotter

I mean DC,Marvel,Valiant,Hasbro...its just a matter of time before Image gets in the shared cinematic universe business.That,and I guess finding a media partner.
In 3-5 years we could be watching Invincible/Spawn Worlds Finest.  :cool:
Jon Farmer

daglob

HarryTrotter

Quote from: daglob on May 09, 2016, 01:50:55 PM
Apollo v. Midnighter: The Dawn of Domesticity   ;)
Still DC.And still a better movie then BvS.  ;)
Jon Farmer

daglob

I was free associating. Wildstorm was an independent company, and Apollo and Midnighter are variants of Superman and Batman, so...

HarryTrotter

Quote from: daglob on May 09, 2016, 02:53:11 PM
I was free associating. Wildstorm was an independent company, and Apollo and Midnighter are variants of Superman and Batman, so...
I know.I was just kidding. :-)
Actually,why DC never tried adapting Authority? :huh:
I mean,they had Superman vs the Elite,why not the real thing?
Jon Farmer