What is the best setting for DDS with Alpha Channels?

Started by detourne_me, May 16, 2015, 11:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

detourne_me

Hello all,
I've been having a heap of issues trying to play FFX, but that's more about the Steam version, Windows 8.1 and other stuff.
I'm really interested in finding out the best settings to save a DDS file with an alpha channel, though.  I wanted to check out a few of my latest skins in game to see how they work, but I noticed that the alpha channels werent working properly.
Falcon'ss wings and Iron Fist's chi-flame still had transparent boxes.  does anybody know the best way to save DDS files with Alpha?

Cyber Burn

I'm using PaintDotNet when I Skin or make FX, and when I save the Textures as DDS Files, I save them as:

"A8R8G8B8"

Compressor Type: Cluster Fit

Error Metric: Perceptual

Additional Options: Weight Color by Alpha

I occasionally have issues with Particle Emitters on a Mesh or Skope, but otherwise, these settings have worked for me.

detourne_me

Thanks CB,  I'll try these settings out,   if they don't work in game, maybe it's just my system...Has anybody else had issues with Falcon's wings?

spydermann93

I haven't tried him yet, but I will be doing so soon.

I know that I've had issues with Gren's Iron Fist fx after conversion as well (I do the same conversion technique and Cyber) and I have an Nvidia card.  I leave fx like that as .tga's so they still have the proper look to them, and I don't typically run into the "pink issue" when I leave fx like that.

Amazo Version 2.2

i'm having issues with this too. it's with converted meshes. for example, grenadier's imperial guard starbolt mesh. the fx coming off of it becomes blocky (is that a word?). i'm having isues like this with other meshes and skopes too. if someone knows of a specific way to fix this, that would be seriously sweet.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

spydermann93

Quote from: Amazo Version 2.2 on May 18, 2015, 04:12:30 PM
i'm having issues with this too. it's with converted meshes. for example, grenadier's imperial guard starbolt mesh. the fx coming off of it becomes blocky (is that a word?). i'm having isues like this with other meshes and skopes too. if someone knows of a specific way to fix this, that would be seriously sweet.

For Starbolt, I just made a skope that replaced Gren's particle FX with Ink's Starbolt's FX :P

Also, I think LP has a Starbolt skin whose fx skin files can convert nicely.

Amazo Version 2.2

Quote from: spydermann93 on May 18, 2015, 04:19:22 PM

For Starbolt, I just made a skope that replaced Gren's particle FX with Ink's Starbolt's FX :P

ok, so now i have 2 more questions. is this a skin issue, or a mesh issue? and number 2, what settings did lp use when he ssaved the files for his skin?
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

spydermann93

Quote from: Amazo Version 2.2 on May 18, 2015, 07:36:26 PM
Quote from: spydermann93 on May 18, 2015, 04:19:22 PM

ok, so now i have 2 more questions. is this a skin issue, or a mesh issue? and number 2, what settings did lp use when he ssaved the files for his skin?

1. It's definitely a skin issue, one that seems to be prominent in Gren's skin files.  I don't know what the exact cause of it is, but it seems to be an issue with how Gren sets up his alpha channels or something like that.  I'm not too sure.

2. That's a question for LP to answer.