Possible discovery in material types

Started by seraglio, November 15, 2014, 09:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seraglio

:ff:
Apologies if someone already discovered and tested this, I did a quick search and dint see anything relevant.

On my Freedom Force to do list for many moons now was to test the "ectoplasm" and "darkmatter" material types that are in FFVTR in FF. My hunch was there was more than 13 material types, things on computers tend to be base 16, so I was guessing that these same material types plus 2 more would be in FF.
For those who dont know (since im not posting in the scripting forum where I normally lurk), material types have the following values:

0=flesh
1=metal
2=stone
3=rubber
4=fire
5=energy
6=air
7=wood
8=stone
9=frozen
10-=cloth
11 = seems to be same as energy
12 = Ectoplasm
13 = darkmatter

I used this super simple attribute to do my testing '

def initdarkmatter(char,update=0):
    Object_SetAttr(char,'material',12)

I was guessing there was a 14 and 15.

Yup there was....and a whole lot of others! In fact , I don't understand the format, but it appears you can put almost any value to material you want and get a new material type. I used values up to 1024 as well as negative values. Here are a few I wrote down:

materials new FF
12   vulnerable(not defenseless) against all 8 materials,but crashes. More stable if target not knocked back
14   weak against cold acid fire and energy
15   weak against acid electricity energy piercing
16   weak against electricity radiation fire energy piercing crushing
17   weak against cold radiation fire piercing crushing
18   weak against cold acid fire energy(same as 14)
19   weak against acid electricity energy piercing crushing
20   weak against electricity radiation piercing crushing
21   weak against cold acid electricity radiation fire crushing

-1   weak against cold acid radiation crushing
-2    weak against cold electricity piercing crushing
-3   weak against acid energy piercing crushing
-16   weak against cold fire acid
-12   weak against cold fire energy piercing  strong against crushing...Not Playable

I still dont understand the actual function of these other hidden types in FF. Almost all were vulnerabilities, the 50 or so I tried only revealed one (-12) with a resistance. Almost all crashed in the game (windows type exception errors) in FF eventually under combat testing.
So while this isn't a very big deal for FF, it could be huge for FFVTR players if it too has additional material types beyond 13 and the game doesn't crash. I suspect it wont, since 12 and 13 crashed my game but apparently work in FFVTR, I suspect they all will. And since you can reverse resistances with gene damage.....basically this could mean fully scripted material types! No need to use up your precious 5 attribute slots getting the perfect resistances.
I dont have FFVTR, so I need somone to test and catalog this. If it works, I might even start playing FFVTR!