Sony/Marvel Spiderman deal may be nearly complete.

Started by catwhowalksbyhimself, December 15, 2014, 11:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

http://furiousfanboys.com/2014/12/rumor-a-marvelsony-deal-over-spider-man-is-almost-complete/

It would be good if true.  I'd definitely like to see Marvel's own take on Spidey, as well as him being integrated into the Movieverse.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

JeyNyce

It would be nice, but I can wait.  With Avengers 2, Captain America 3 all coming out next, I'm in no rush to see Spidey on the big screen again.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Talavar

While I would like Spider-man back at Marvel in an abstract way, I'm in no hurry to see more Spider-man movies.  That's a character/franchise that could use some rest.

SickAlice

It's almost ironic really. The franchise's film history is as turbulent and depressing as the franchised characters fictional life is. Maybe even fitting in a way.

thalaw2

Like Cat, I would like to see Spidey crossed over into the larger Marvel Movieverse.  Maybe all the hacking going on at Sony might force this to come true sooner rather than later.
革命不会被电视转播

JeyNyce

If for some strange reason Marvel did get Spidey back, where could they put him in phase 3 of the MCU?  He would have small roles or cameos in other heroes movies.  If Marvel have any plans to do a Phase 4, then let Spidey lead on that like Iron Man did, if not, then let the franchise rest until the need to bring him back.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BWPS

I'm dying to see Spider-Man back at Marvel. Amazing 2 is one of the all-time worst superhero movies ever. Marvel will do one of it's best characters right since they don't seem capable of making anything as bad as Spider-Man 3 or amazing 2.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

SickAlice

I'd like to see Marvel get him back as well if no other reason than they actually care about the character and view him as the prodigal son of the company rather than just viewing him as a product. If they retained him fully I'd want to see them steer away from films and go for a television series instead. There's enough solid stories and characters in his continuity to pull off such a thing.

Also noted in the talks of a 2016 film there's debates over a revised origin. I hope they stay away from that. They don't need that anymore than they need another reboot. The worldwide audience knows who Spider-man is now. A footnote on his powers and motivation is fine and they can focus on a good story instead and change the look if they feel the need without setting it in another continuity.

I know it's silly to say what the industry leader (Marvel) should do with their films, but I notice they tend to go in the opposite direction of the one that put them on the map in the first place: Blade. Blade didn't bother with being an origin story, it highlighted how he came to be but focused the rest on a story for him. I think that seems like a better fit for most superhero characters. Likewise that movies success debunks the train of thought that minority characters are hard sells as are less popular ones. That one dug Marvel out of bankruptcy, created Marvel Films and ignited the the current superhero movie trend we now see and it pushed all of the above elements so clearly that dogma is hogwash.

catwhowalksbyhimself

According to the leaked Sony files, Marvel wants to reboot the series, but skip the origin altogether.  The new series would start with him being an established, veteran hero. They also think there is too much focus on Pete's love life and want the focus to be on the difficulties of ballancing life as a teenager with life as a superhero.

Many think it likely that he'd first appear for a brief cameo in Avengers 3 filmed during pickups and play a more major role during Cap 3.

Podmark

I'm kinda surprised with the weariness towards a new Spider-Man film. The last few have been less than stellar but Spidey's my favorite hero, I'll always be looking forward to good Spider-Man movie. I don't think Sony is incapable of making one, but I'd be happier with Marvel Studios getting him.

From the reports I've seen this Sony-Marvel deal is far from happening, but it's certainly interesting that it was discussed.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

catwhowalksbyhimself

The rumor is that they started talking again, probably after the leak.  Fans overwhelmingly don't like Sony's recently revealed plans and do like Marvel's.

SickAlice

That would be the better route. I hope it's taken. I like the idea of a Last Hunt film even more, though if you track me backward on the net that's literally been my top desire for a Marvel film for as long as I've submitted them.

All in all Marvel has been very good about honoring their promises if even indirectly I'll give it that. I remember when the Marvel movie era first came to be Stan Lee talking about all these great things coming. He mentioned the big names of course. He also mentioned S.H.I.E.L.D. and Ant-man. Most people wrote that off as Lee's style yet here we are. Can't wait for the Power Pack one he also mentioned.

Fan exclusion regarding the franchise (Spider-man) isn't misplaced. It goes back to the third even. They've become accustomed to being hyped up and told the next film will be so radically different and iron out the mistakes of the former yet only to ride another subpar vehicle. And we're so easy on both ends because we're fans aren't we? The Schumacher Batman films a testament to it. We all recall the eyesores there but most won't confess to that giddiness when they saw " Omg, is that Bane?! ". I won't lie that was me all the way. So after a trend it becomes easy to project and set pars. Someone lets you down enough times in the same fashion and particularly when it's on something that's important to you and your going to be cautious when they reveal their next intention. Sony+Spider-man is in that zone. No one can tell the future. The next Spider-man film could be the greatest film ever seen. But until then it is to be seen and it's not unreal to have reservations given the track record up to this point.

Personally and I'm sure I'm not alone but I'm only toying with any of this and taking it with a grain of salt given the information's dubious origin and the media's spin thus far, which is to take proposal leaks provided by a criminal element and by the meat of the article usually spin it to appear as a quotation or press release. This and at any point any of the parties involved could just as well go any other way, the future isn't written in stone or in this case text. Given today's news even the leak itself has already at least been partially responsible for one change of plans. Given nature tends to cycle and establish patterns it wouldn't be unexpected to see more actions like that from the big houses. Myself and I'm echoing myself I know but at base I'm such a flat out geek that as long as there's something with a character I adore in it a part of me is going to be wanting it and excited regardless of how covered in mud it ends up being.

stumpy

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on December 17, 2014, 10:16:23 PMAccording to the leaked Sony files, Marvel wants to reboot the series, but skip the origin altogether.  The new series would start with him being an established, veteran hero.
Seems like that's the smart way to go. At some point, everyone knows his basic backstory and, IMO, re-treaded origin stories for high-profile superheroes are getting sort of blah.

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on December 17, 2014, 10:16:23 PMThey also think there is too much focus on Pete's love life and want the focus to be on the difficulties of ballancing life as a teenager with life as a superhero.
Amen. Maybe the studios/writers are finally abandoning the stuck-in-the-past template that seems to assume female viewers will only go see a superhero movie if they duct-tape a romantic story onto it somehow.

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on December 17, 2014, 10:16:23 PMMany think it likely that he'd first appear for a brief cameo in Avengers 3 filmed during pickups and play a more major role during Cap 3.

Well, if Marvel Studios sticks to the road map they presented recently and Captain America 3 will be subtitled Civil War, then there ought to be a pretty solid role for Spidey there. That's slotted for May 2016 release, two years before the part 1 of Avengers: Infinity War, so I kinda hope this Spidey issue is resolved in time for that.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg