News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Infinite Crisis

Started by justintyme2174, September 29, 2014, 01:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justintyme2174

Has/does anyone play this game? I got an e-mail saying I could get 6 free champions for completing the new user experience missions.  I've never heard a whole lot about this game so it made me wonder if it's any good.  It looks like a button-mashing beat-them-up game with no real point.  On the other hand, there seems to be a wide variety of "multiverse" Batmen, Supermen, Wonder Women, etc. so you're not stuck looking at the new 52 costumes.

detourne_me

I thought it was a moba, along the lines of League of Legends or Dota2. Is it free to play as well?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Yeah, it's a moba from what I understand.  Those communities tend to be pretty hostile and elitists and intollerant of new players, so I avoid them like the plague.  Only one I play is Awesomenauts, which at least earns its name.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

spydermann93

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on September 29, 2014, 02:30:01 AM
Yeah, it's a moba from what I understand.  Those communities tend to be pretty hostile and elitists and intollerant of new players, so I avoid them like the plague.  Only one I play is Awesomenauts, which at least earns its name.

Yeah, it sucks and I really don't know why that is.  Can't we all just get along? :(

detourne_me

I think it has to do with the competitive nature of those games. Warning, mini-rant coming...
1. They are twitch based, so reaction time is important.
2. They are also team based, so you need a tight team in order to meet objectives.
3. They are usually free to play. Guess who doesn't have money, but a lot of free time? Kids.
Impatient kids play these games, and play them for hours because they have lots of free time, but can't afford to buy a variety of games.  Because the games are reaction based, when you get older, your reaction time slows down, and you can get thrown out of clans if you aren't good enough.  Check out the Steam documentary about DOTA2 if you don't believe me.
Add all of this together, coupled with the fact that there is usually no storyline, just PvP, and you've got a pretty hostile and competitive environment (oh, let's not forget 'internet anonymity' allowing people to be real tough guys)

catwhowalksbyhimself

I was actually really interested in dota2, then I began reading up on it and kept seeing the more newbe friendly folks saying thing like "You won't be any good until you've gotton 100 or 200 hours in" which is more time than I even have to put into any game ever.

justintyme2174

Thanks for the input everyone.  Sounds like a game for me to skip!

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well it depends on the community and how casual or hardcore it is, really.  A browse through their forums should give you an idea.  Just be prepared to spend a LOT of time with it if you intend to get really really good.  Since it's relatively new, there will be fewer leet types to contend with.  Maybe.

In general, though I mostly avoid MOBAs.