News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Cyber's Problems

Started by Cyber Burn, May 01, 2014, 04:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber Burn

Ok, I was originally receiving this error message when I pressed the "Open" button on EZHero. I just changed the Paths from "Program Files" to "Program Files (x86)". Now when I press the "Open" button, the program closes. I know Alex is planning on releasing an updated version, but in the meantime, would anyone know why this might be happening?

As always, I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

abenavides

This had to with the (in)famous comdlg32.ocx file . It's missing from the program folder . You can solve by downloading (google it) . New version will include and register this properly as well (1st thing I fixed ! :) )
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

Cyber Burn

Thanks for the response Alex, I had previously downloaded the "Comdlg32.ocx" file because I remember reading that I needed it, and I had placed it in my "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" Folder. I'm still having the issue with EZHero shutting down when I try to open a Hero File.

If it helps, here is what my "affhero.ini" looks like:

Spoiler

[Freedom Force]
HeroType=FFv3R

WorkPath=C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\Desktop\New Folder

DirPath=C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\Local Settings\Application Data\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Heroes

BatchConvertSource=C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Data\Heroes

BatchConvertDestination=C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\Local Settings\Application Data\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Heroes

AIFile=C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\Data\Missions\Scripts\m25newaidata2.py

[DAT Files]
DirPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\DCTEST

And like I said, I know Alex is creating Version 3.4, but in the meantime, I would like to have this up and running. Since I got my new PC, I've yet to get Version 3.3 working. It's been kind of frustrating.

abenavides

Do you mean you're still getting the error you posted originally.?
Try putting comdl32.ocx in same folder you installed EZHero in .

www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: abenavides on May 03, 2014, 09:24:52 PM
Do you mean you're still getting the error you posted originally.?
Try putting comdl32.ocx in same folder you installed EZHero in .

Ok, I'm still getting an error message, but I am a bit confused now, is the file I need the "Comdl32.ocx" or the "Comdlg32.ocx"?

I had previously read that the needed file was called "Comdlg32.ocx", but in your posts, you wrote that it is called "Comdl32.ocx".

Since I had installed the "Comdlg32.ocx" file, did I install the wrong thing?

abenavides

Sorry , typo - COMDLG32.OCX is correct.

is it in your EZHERO folder?
This is usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Alex's Freedom Fortress\EZ Hero

If so and it still doesn't work, you need to register the OCX
To do this:

open a command prompt but it has to be as Administrator
then type regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Alex's Freedom Fortress\EZ Hero\comdlg32.ocx"
and that should work

Version 3.4 does all this automatically
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

Quote from: abenavides on May 04, 2014, 02:44:18 AM
Sorry , typo - COMDLG32.OCX is correct.

Ok, it's good to know that I at least had the right file going into this. That being said, when I originally tried setting up EZ Hero 3.3 when I got my current PC and started getting error messages, this is the link that I was pointed to:

http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=53833.msg728076#msg728076

Unfortunately, I still received the same error message. I just tried doing what you said, and still no go. Could there be a problem because I have the "comdlg32.ocx" file in both folders? Do I have to do anything special if I remove one? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not really a tech savvy kind of guy, so I appreciate any advice I can get.

abenavides

Hi, it really doesn't matter where you put the file as long as it gets registered there by regsvr32.
When you are running regsvr32. , is that working ok? What msg do you get when you do that?
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

Unfortunately, I don't remember word for word what the messages said, but essentially, when I ran the command prompt for the "Comdlg32.ocx" File in the SysWOW64 Folder, it failed, something about a (.dll) File. When I just ran the command prompt for the "Comdlg32.ocx" File in the EZ Hero Folder, it said it was successful. Now when I try to use EZ Hero, the program opens, but when I click on "Open" to try and access a Hero File, I get the error message shown in my original post.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this Alex, I definitely appreciate it.

abenavides

Strange. If it registered, all should be fine.

That version of windows are you using?
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

I'm using Windows 8.1, 64-bit.

Also, I installed both games using the Disks.

abenavides

I've sent you an email with the latest version of comdlg32.ocx from Msoft. Possible that you have an older one that doesn't like working with Win8.
www.alexff.com

abenavides

I've decided to just change the code to not use COMDLG32.OCX. It will make the app easier to port to a new dev tool in the future anyway.

Will add this to next test build (quashing a few bugs sent in by hoss and also added a little more intelligence so ez hero will look for your meshes in the right folder depending on whether it's an FF or FFv3R hero file)
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

So I decided to do a complete re-install of FFvt3R, probably not my brightest idea, but now when I try to run  :ffvstr:, I get this error message:

Does any one have any suggestions as to what I might have done wrong?

abenavides

Are you using steam version?

I've had that too. It's some type of memory leak.

I find that a reboot of my PC fixes it.
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

Thanks Alex, I'm using the Disk version, but a reboot seemed to fix the problem.  :thumbup:

Cyber Burn

New problem...Yay!!!

I updated my FX.Dat file for FFvt3R (Main Game), loaded the game, and had an odd screen load (Tried to take a screen cap, but it didn't work). It was basically the main load screen, but on the bottom left corner it had two boxes, both yellow, with one right above the other. If I remember correctly, the top box said "Camp", and the lower box said "Load".

I didn't touch either box, I went into the Rumble Room, and then the screen went black and I received the following error message:

Any suggestions what I may have done wrong?

abenavides

the camp/load buttons sound like you may be in debug mode.
Normally that's a setting in the localinit.py file (not sure how you got into it)

re: the msg. It's saying it can't open the campaign file.
From your pic it looks like you may be running more than 1 instance of FFv3R?

Try closing them all and try again.
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

After closing everything out, I deleted the "LocalInit.py" file, and rebooted my PC.

When starting FFvt3R, I get the normal opening load screen, I click on "Rumble Room", and then the game freezes. After a few minutes, just to make sure it's not loading something, I hit "ctrl+alt+delete" to open my Task Manager so I can close out the game. The screen goes black, and then the same error message pops up.

Very frustrating.

abenavides

Strange.
Did it create a new localinit.py for you?
A plain one should just be:

#
# IGA system initialization file for external release
#
import js
import ff

try renaming the campdef.dat to oldcampdef.dat to see if it creates a new one also.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to do other than reinstall.

When working with EZHero and FX, I've ruined my FF games many times. I do reinstall quite often.
It's one good thing about the Steam versions. They do this pretty quickly when I mess things up.
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

Quote from: abenavides on July 13, 2014, 02:07:49 AM
Strange.
Did it create a new localinit.py for you?
A plain one should just be:

#
# IGA system initialization file for external release
#
import js
import ff

try renaming the campdef.dat to oldcampdef.dat to see if it creates a new one also.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to do other than reinstall.

When working with EZHero and FX, I've ruined my FF games many times. I do reinstall quite often.
It's one good thing about the Steam versions. They do this pretty quickly when I mess things up.

Crumbs...I think I may have to do a re-install.   :banghead:

Cyber Burn

On to the next problem.

I seem to be having issues using "XnConvert" to mass convert TGA Files to DDS Files. Basically, after being converted, the Texture File is kind of messed up, I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue.

Here's the unconverted TGA File:

Here's the converted DDS File:

Is anyone else having this issue? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.