News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Missing faces?

Started by SickAlice, July 21, 2014, 05:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

I encountered an issue on a model I put a lot of work into this morning that I've seen happen a few times before.
When at the final stage the model appears fine in programs like Nifskope, no missing verts or faces.
In game or CTool though random faces are missing. When you look it it's as if these faces were taken out on the texture with the alpha channel.
But this isn't the case. The textures are properly set up. Looking in Nifskope all settings are exactly as they should be.
Re-texturing the model doesn't solve it either. I end up deleting and starting over each time which gets annoying and time consuming of course
(and occasionally breaks some of my furniture  :rolleyes:). I can note some things. When viewed without the texture/smooth shaded the models
always appear the have dark streaks across them and I think those either line up with what ends up visible or vice-verse. If I combine these with
a working model the defective piece remains defective anyways. Anyone know the cause and possible cure for the problem?
It would be kewl to be able to patch some models rather than have to start from scratch when this happens.

daglob

You may have already checked this out, but if I don't mention it...

I have had that problem with the "bones" alpha-ed out and not hidden. My computer does NOT like alpha channels, and I know sometimes it shows the bones in technicolor, and other times they are "holes" in the mesh.

In Nifscope, select the main mesh (Male Basic, for example). The view of your mesh should get a wireframe. However, the places where the bones stick through the skin will NOT have the facets visible. If you click in the "bare" area, the bones' wireframe will light up, like clicking on a piece in a TV mesh that is alpha-ed out but not hidden. So I have to go through and hide all the bones.

Oddly enough, the hand bones seem to be the ones I come across the most often. The rest of the mesh will be just fine, but the hand bones are not hidden.

SickAlice

Thanks. I've never run into it like that. That's good to know (I didn't until you mentioned it) but it doesn't seem to apply here. If I click the shallow areas or no it only highlights the entire piece and displays it as if it weren't flawed in the first place.

daglob

Send me one to lonespaceranger@gmail.com. I'm out of time at the library, but 'll get it Wendsday and look at it.

SickAlice

Thanks. I already deleted this one and started over so I could release it. I made I better part then last time anyways. Just trying to figure this one out so it isn't a hurdle the next time.