Transformers(Movies)

Started by HarryTrotter, May 21, 2014, 06:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Shocker

QuoteBut Optimus is the most messed up part.After Megatron saves him from Sentinel Prime,he backstabs Megatron and executes injured Sentinel.Seriously Decepticons wouldnt do that
They do in the video game!  :thumbup: Seriously. In one of the first levels of War for Cybertron, Megatron executes Autobots in a firing line. Those games are kinda dark. And awesome.

AND in the (also awesome) Transformers Prime cartoon. Near the end of the second season:

Spoiler
Megatron straight up murders one of his own men by blowing a hole straight through his chest.[/i]

I don't like these films.

The fact that a 710 MILLION dollar film franchise has four films out (I have not seen the new one) and STILL hasn't been as good as the weaker episodes of a low budget cartoon from the 80's based on a line of imported Japanese robot toys is really lame. Especially when Pacific Rim did it better in every conceivable way on a lower budget and bombed. And when the War for Cybertron video game series got it spot on (so naturally they made the newest one in the series suck AND look like the movies!)

There are four films called "Transformers" yet they have yet to actually make a Transformers movie (except for the animated one, of course). The characters I continue to enjoy on television to this day certainly haven't been portrayed on film in any meaningful way. Only Optimus Prime has any lasting presence and that's only because they got his original voice actor to bring his gravitas to the role (quite possible the only good thing to come out of this series) Shockwave and Soundwave, two of the most iconic characters in the franchise, both appeared in these films, yet neither of them displayed the personalities or quirks that made them memorable enough to warrant appearing in the films in the first place. (That Shockwave actually LOOKS like Shockwave, and that Soundwave has his original voice actor is a nice consolation prize).  Leonard Nemoy in the third film sounded like he was on his death bed. And the fact that anyone involved thought "The Twins" were a good idea speaks very poorly to the people who work on this series. The only female Autobot in the whole film series dies in her first scene and has one or two lines. Drift, one of the most universally derided characters in the franchise appears in the newest film, and from the looks of it he is actually LAMER than he was in the comics! (and keep in mind, I LIKE Drift in the comics). Lockdown, one of my favorite characters to come out of this franchise in the last few years (he's basically Boba Fett mixed with the Predator), is in this film and I have no confidence that Bay and his cronies will portray him 1/3rd as well as Lance Henrickson did in the cartoon.

The humor is awful. The mecha design is ugly. The action uses far too much jitter cam. The human characters aren't very compelling and often are irritating.  The actresses for the female leads can't act. The third film is far too long. And lastly, of course, the titular Transformers are bit players in their own movie.

While I have not seen the new film I have been informed by a reviewer I trust that A) the special effects, the biggest draw in this film series are the WORST they've ever been (and apparently resemble Playstation 2 graphics!) And B) this one's a spoiler:
Spoiler
The heavily-marketed Dinobots barely appear in the film. Cool story bro!

I don't think there's really anything else to say.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

More or less my thoughts exactly.
Yeah,maybe Megatron would do that,but is it in charachter for Optimus?HELL NO.
Thats not even being anti-hero,thats being a dick.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yeah I didn't like that. And if they really wanted to sell me on that, maybe they should have given Optimus something resembling a character arc so I'd actually care.

You know want the ironic thing is? I've always kinda thought of Optimus as a bit of broad "fearless leader" type (one of the reasons I actually prefer Optimus Primal from Beast Wars - he actually had both a sense of humor at times AND a temper, making him feel more fleshed out), yet Peter Cullen makes up for that by injecting a lot of impact into the voice, and he's only gotten better with age since now he sells the hell out of the "veteran old guy who really cares for his crew" vibe. A scene with him from the third season of Transformers Prime
Spoiler
where he almost dies, and is willing to let that show's resident Hot-Rod stand-in take over in his place.
brought me to tears.  Both times I watched it. Which is a hell of lot more than I can ever say for those godawful Micheal Bay films.

And to think, cartoons have a stigma for being dumb shallow children's entertainment.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Well,people are stupid.If they see its animated they label it as FOR KIDS.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Time to talk about Transformers movies again.

So, it was recently reported that the TF movies will be getting spinoffs by different creative teams.

It's just been reported that Robert Kirkman will be part of that creative team.

This is pretty big news. The Walking Dead is huge these days and now you can say "the Walking Dead guy is doing Transformers" Mind you, the last season and a half of the show has sucked zombie guts, but I digest.

I'm of mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, the three other guys include someone who worked on Lost (and Amazing Spider-Man 2, but I won't hold that against him), someone who worked on the first Iron Man, and someone who is working on the sequel to Pacific Rim but also worked on X-Men 3.

On the other hand, I think Robert Kirkman is an incredibly poor writer, and since I don't really care for his work and like him even less as a person I can't support any of his work, even if it's an incredibly promising Beast Wars movie.

Incidentally, I have now seen the 4th TF movie, and I have to take back some of the stuff I said earlier in this thread, because I actually enjoyed it. It's at least the best since the original.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/644341-michael-bay-confirms-he-will-direct-transformers-5#/slide/1
Michael Bay is directing Transformers 5,but this is the last time,he swears.Just like the previous 4 last times.
And Krang is the villain of TMNT 2.
Jon Farmer