News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Costume Rating 19: New 52 Nightwing version 2

Started by Podmark, May 19, 2014, 04:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Nightwing's New 52 costume?

5 - Love it!
4 - Like it
3 - Meh, no strong feelings
2 - Dislike it
1 - Hate it!

Podmark

Now we reach our Grayson finale. Today we'll look at the regular New 52 Nightwing costume(s). There are two distinct versions of this costume, the original version, and a second once artist Brett Booth took over. For simplicity sake I'm including both, rate as you will.

An interesting note about this costume is that it was originally intended to be blue right up until the first cover was shown online.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/podmark/2762785-jla7020_zpsc1597176.jpg
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

bat1987

I like it. It's still a slick look IMO. My main issue with it that there is to much red in the batfam in new 52. Red Hood, Robin, Red Robin, Batwoman and now Nightwing. Looks silly in group shots. I prefer the original new 52 over Brett Booth's rendition.

I think this particular design looks better with red rather than blue that was first intended, that being said I prefer his pre new52 look overall.

Cyber Burn

This was a tough call for me. I was going back and forth between a 3 and a 4, but I ended up going with the 4. While I do really like both designs (The 2nd over the 1st), they both just wreak of N52 line work. So while I do clearly like both, they could be cleaned up just a little bit.

BentonGrey

2: It's still uneven, and now it manages to be both over-designed AND boring.  That's impressive.  The red eyes are stupid, though at least he's got greaves that add a little something to the design.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

bat1987

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 19, 2014, 03:48:59 PM
2: It's still uneven, and now it manages to be both over-designed AND boring.  That's impressive.  The red eyes are stupid, though at least he's got greaves that add a little something to the design.

Worth noting, the eyes turn red only when he activates night vision. :)

Tomato

The second version is better than the first, but I'm on the opposite end as bat on this... I think the red destroys this look for me. It's bad enough that the red insignia immediately evoked Batman and Robin, but you put Nightwing alongside the rest of the Bat Family and... well...

To quote 8-bit theater... "What kind of Ninja wears bright red?"

Podmark

I like it. It's not too far removed from the blue chevron costume, but it adds too much linework, and that's what holds it back. I don't mind a little line work but these New 52 costume just tend to go overboard.
I like the second design better mostly because of the red extending down the arms - really like how that looks.

While I agree with Tomato that it's a little silly that so many of the current Bat family have red as a Primary or Secondary colour, that's not really a fair criticism of this costume by itself. When I first saw the red on this design I didn't like it because it was new and different but today I think the red look fine.
Now if Nightwing gets to be red then who should change their colour?
Red Robin? Er...
Robin? Nope...
How about Red Hood? Crud...
umm...
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Cyber Burn

Personally, I actually like the way that the Red looks, the fact that so many members of the Bat-Family wear Red shows a form of unity to me, but I would still be interested to see how it would look with Blue instead.

spydermann93

Something like this, I guess

WARNING: I'm not good with Photoshop :P

Spoiler

Cyber Burn

:D Gotta admit, I actually kind of like the Blue.