Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Started by captmorgan72, December 18, 2011, 02:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

Having never seen a single episode of this series, I noticed that the entire series is on Netflix. Just for the heck of it, I started watching a few episodes. I am now almost done with season one and I am absolutely loving it.

JeyNyce

Wasn't there talks about a reboot?
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Talavar

A film reboot, more specifically, without any involvement of the show's creative team or cast.  It was widely reviled on the internet, and slunk bank into the shadows for the time being.

lugaru

That show was literally a guilty pleasure for me... I did not like his writing back then but overal the show was really fun, and he has a Mike Mignola style of using the supernatural as a punching bag.

Later the show gets really brutal with the fight choreography so it is fun to watch, but near the end the stakes got too high, the fites had too many special effects and the characters had lost my interest so I never finished the show.

Nyte Dragon

Ohhh you got so much more coming up if you are just now finishing up Season 1. Season 2 will be a blast for you, and I won't spoil anything except to say three lil words... Spike and Dru.

This was one of my favorite series to watch on TV, and while it had it's ups and downs, it pretty much never failed to be entertaining.
Hate is always foolish and love is always wise.
 ⁓Doctor Who

HarryTrotter

(Major necroposting,but...)
I just finished the first 2 seasons.It does get a lot better in season 2.And in hindsight,its weird seeing Booth as a vampire.  :)
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I think most people will tell you season 2 was the best season of Buffy. I definitely think it is.
I've seen the show more than once and I can safely say season 4 is where I found it started to go downhill.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Talavar

Quote from: Silver Shocker on April 09, 2016, 12:40:00 AM
I think most people will tell you season 2 was the best season of Buffy. I definitely think it is.
I've seen the show more than once and I can safely say season 4 is where I found it started to go downhill.

Eh, I'd say season 3 was the best.  Season 2 was awfully angsty.  I wouldn't say it was all downhill from season 4 though.  4 was rough, with some highlights, but season 5 was better, six was off as well, but 7 wasn't a bad ending to the show.

BWPS

I loved every season. It was one of the best shows ever.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Talavar on April 09, 2016, 02:36:16 AM

Eh, I'd say season 3 was the best.  Season 2 was awfully angsty.  I wouldn't say it was all downhill from season 4 though.  4 was rough, with some highlights, but season 5 was better, six was off as well, but 7 wasn't a bad ending to the show.
Most reviews I saw say exactly the same thing.
Just checking,but an I the only one who found Drusilla annoying?
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on April 09, 2016, 04:59:39 AM
Quote from: Talavar on April 09, 2016, 02:36:16 AM

Most reviews I saw say exactly the same thing.
Just checking,but an I the only one who found Drusilla annoying?

I liked her in small doses, but never bought her and Spike as a threat.  After the Master, Spike and Dru seemed like small potatoes.  I realize they weren't the main villains of season 2, but for a good chunk of the season the show tried to sell them as such, and it was never convincing to me.

HarryTrotter

I got the feeling that The Annoited One was supposed to be the Big Bad of s2 but that was change in the process.Outside his attempt at reviving Master,the kid was pretty pointless.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on April 10, 2016, 05:41:32 AM
I got the feeling that The Annoited One was supposed to be the Big Bad of s2 but that was change in the process.Outside his attempt at reviving Master,the kid was pretty pointless.

I don't know, I think *spoilers from 20 years ago*
Spoiler
Angel
was always intended to be the main villain of season 2.  That seemed pretty well planned.  I just don't think they feinted with the fake threats that well.

Silver Shocker

I'm, pretty sure I read that the reason they replaced The Anointed One was because the child actor had noticeably aged, while the character was supposed to stay the same.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Podmark

I was always tremendously disappointed when the Anointed One was killed, and a little disturbed as well.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

HarryTrotter

Im 1/3 into season 3.Spikes return was hilarious.
I may be loves b.... But at least Im man enough to admit it.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

The best part was when they recreated his opening scene from season 2, only this time he stumbles out of the truck because he's drunk. That cracked me up.
~Rocky Balboa

Cyber Burn

"Once More, With Feeling"...Nuff Said.  :D

HarryTrotter

I found my self rooting for principal Snyder a few times.He is so amazingly petty.And hes Quark.
-You will have to answer to MOO.
-You can talk to its founder.I believe you call her...mom.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Season 3 was great.Now,I hear season 4 was weak.
Should I start watching Angel now?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I would. While season 1 of Angel is just ok to pretty good, on the whole I found the series more consistently better than Buffy, while the later seasons of Buffy went downhill (though it did have its moments, like the aforementioned "Once More with Feeling". There's also back and forth continuity between Buffy and Angel at times that you'll get more of if you watch both shows.

I generally find that Angel and some of the other Buffy characters that followed him to his own show were better there, as they got more fleshed out and developed, and got to show different sides (for example, Angel/Boreanaz got to show off his comedic chops a lot more)
~Rocky Balboa

Talavar

Counterpoint: most of the first season of Angel is rough.  It's wildly uneven (which kinda describes the show as a whole--it's got some dizzying highs, and some eye-stabbing-out lows) and is most like the first season of Buffy except with a whole season order of episodes.  Late in the season it picks up, and there are good episodes, and good character work, but as weak as season 4 of Buffy is, it's a lot more consistent than season 1 of Angel.