News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

EZ Script Freeroam Campaign Help

Started by mac402, December 27, 2013, 04:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac402

Hi guys! Did anyone mess with the EZ Script freeroam campaign stuff in the FFX3.2 for  :ffvstr: . I am attempting to set up a campaign but all attempts seem to fail. I can't find any references either. I tried the link to M25's EZfreeroam on 4shared but it's down. I also tried to download joemama's Patriot World but his website is also down.

The steps I did (just like FFX documentation says):
1. Copied the mymod\missions\ezscriptfreeroam folder to mymod\missions\freeroam_start
2. Edited mymod\missions\freeroam_start\mission.py and added my builtins and starting map.
3. In FF_Edit in Campaign tab deleted all missions and added only the freeroam_start mission. Changed the hero number to 1 and selected a required hero.
4. Created a mymod\freeroam folder with freeroam.txt file and anthology specified.
5. Ran the ffxedit2.exe just to make sure.

Thing is my campaign will quit the moment the map loads with mission failed screen. It also seems that after chainging campdef.dat I can not run rumble room as the game crashes. When I restrore the original campdef.dat rumble room works back again.

EDIT: I found the problem with rumble room. Seems it requires a certain amount of missions in the campdef.dat to work. Still can't make tha campaign work though.

tomaan

When you edit mission.py....

1) make sure you copy/paste it into the base.py file too.  they must be the same for freeroam to work
2) if you added/edited the available built-ins, make sure there are no typos.  IIRC, you need to use the template name, not the hero file name.
3) make sure your starting map is formatted correctly
4) place your stories in the mymod/freeroam directory individually.  In other words, don't worry about a freeroam.txt file, just put each story you want to run in the directory as freeroam_story1.txt, freeroam_story2.txt, freeroam_story3.txt

Here's a thread on using "none" type encounters as variables: http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=49869.msg680197#msg680197

Here's another thread with the EZ Script creator (M25) discussing freeroam: http://freedomreborn.net/archive/index.php?topic=46445.0

One more:  http://freedomreborn.net/archive/index.php?topic=41317.0

Good luck!

mac402

Thanks tomaan! I have managed to make the base map work at least but still the mission ends instantly when I leave the base.

My first mission in Campaign tab is set to freeroam_start and I have a "<mod>\Missions\freeroam_start" folder set up with identical mission.py and base.py present and identical mission.dat and base.dat. I have a base map with the same mission.dat/base.dat maps.

The markers on the base map:
base_map
camera
mapname_<basemapname>
hero_1 to hero_4
encounter1
to_<myfirstmap>

The markers on the map I start on when exiting the base:
mapname_<myfirstmap>
hero_1 to hero_4
encounter1 to encounter13
to_<basemapname>

The folders have the same names as specified in mapname_. As I understatnd the freeroam script copies the maps in mission.dat/mission.mg onto it's own freeroam_start folder and replaces the mission/base dat's in that folder. Do I need to modify anything else on <myfirstmap>? The moment I exit the base the screen fades and the mission ends. No EZ scripts from the "<mod>\freeroam" are activated whatsoever. I feel like a moron since I can't even begin this :(.

tomaan

It sounds like the campaign is ending because your EZ Script stories aren't starting, but I could be wrong (haven't messed with freeroam in a long time).

Try posting your logs.

In the meantime, you can download this sample freeroam campaign to see how it is set up (I haven't tried it in a while, but, if I recall correctly, I just replaced my maps with the default maps and went from there):  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29040839/ezfreeroam_poc.zip

mac402

Thanks again! I've compared the mod you sent me with mine - your's worked, mine didn't. And finally I've found the source of the problem - I had only one hero specified in 'freeroam_addbuiltins=' which caused the whole script to crash in some way. Just adding a "," sign after the hero name fixed this somehow. Finally the campaign works as it should! Again, thank you for your support tomaan and for providing a working example of a freeroam campaign. Cheers!