Assistance in collecting FF Resources.

Started by Cyber Burn, December 25, 2013, 06:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber Burn

Hi guys. Before my PC died, I had started collecting various Tutorials from the FR Wiki, from the FR Forums, and from various websites. These include NifSkope Tutorials, Skinning/Photoshop Tutorials, Meshing Tutorials, F.A.Q.'s, and many other things. That's why I had put all my other projects on hold. Not all of these transferred cleanly to Word Documents, so needed some adjustments (Spelling, Formatting, Etc.). Fortunately, I was working on these from my Flash Drive, so nothing was lost when my PC went down.

I've already created a Yahoo Group for these, and I'll start uploading these when I get my new PC (I'm also converting my Word Documents to PDF Files). What I'm asking is that if anyone has any notes or mini Tutorials that they would like to share, to please let me know so that I can add these to the growing collection.

My overall goal is to make sure that once all of these are collected and posted, that people will collect them, and the more people that have them, then the less chance that they will be lost to the community.

And finally, I don't want to step on any toes while doing this, so if anyone does not want a Tutorial they made hosted like this, please let me know and I will make sure that I don't upload it.

For example: There is a Skinning Tutorial by AndrewGD (The creator of the Effects Meshes), and in the Tutorial, he specifically states that he does not want his Tutorial re-posted. I had E-Mailed him to ask for permission, but haven't heard from him yet. So I will post a link to the Tutorial, but will respect his wishes and not re-post it unless he gives permission.

vorelliwiseau

This is a large and noble goal, Cyber, and I would love to see that Yahoo Group realized.

What I learned, I learned from some of the FRWorlds tutorials! Also, maybe I can make like supplementary example tutorials, or some mesh piece making/adjusting tutorials of my own! With permissions, of course.

Anyway, keep us updated!

Cyber Burn

Thank you V. Any notes or Tutorials that you could put together would be awesome, as I've said before, you are doing some great stuff with Blender.

Unfortunately, this won't happen until I actually get a new PC, but if I can actually get people to send me their notes, Tutorials, etc., then once I do get a PC, I will have a head start on collecting information to share. Also, I'm hoping that if all this information is readily available, then maybe more community members will experiment with content creation.

I know we have the FR Wiki, but I have no clue how to add to it. But once I eventually get this information uploaded to the Yahoo Group, if someone wants to use that information to update the Wiki, that would really be awesome.

Even if it's just self made notes that someone cobbled together as they figured something out, I'll take it. The more information that is made available, the better.

Epimethee

Quote from: Cyber Burn on December 26, 2013, 05:05:24 PM
I know we have the FR Wiki, but I have no clue how to add to it. But once I eventually get this information uploaded to the Yahoo Group, if someone wants to use that information to update the Wiki, that would really be awesome.
I've sent a message to the FR World Wiki organizer, asking him to invite you to become an editor. Hopefully, his address is still valid.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Cyber Burn

That's awesome Epi, thank you.

Unfortunately, I'm hoping that editing/updating the Wiki is user friendly. I've never done anything like that before.

Also, even if I am able to update the Wiki, I still plan on uploading everything I have to the Yahoo Group. The more places this information is kept, the less likely it is to be lost to the Community. At least, that's the plan.  :D

SickAlice

I have a folder with a few from either this site, the niftools wiki and a couple others on my hard drive that I consider " essentials ". I used to have about anything that could be found under the web's shadow from the FF1 days, but like yourself I lost them do to circumstances (I seriously had an entire spindle of disks with nothing but resources for FF on them, right down to specs for comic book vehicles and locations). If you want me to I'll make a list of what's in there and PM it you.

Cyber Burn

I will very gladly take you up on that offer, thank you.

Epimethee

Quote from: Cyber Burn on December 27, 2013, 05:35:47 PM
That's awesome Epi, thank you.
It's nothing... especially since I never noticed that there are many organizers we can try to contact.

- Lunarman (creator)
- Alphanaut
- House_Quake
- Loki86
- Symon
- Synthos
- The_Hitman

To the best of my limited knowledge, of these gents, only one is still around, The Hitman; I've sent him a PM. If he hasn't access anymore, I'll give you my access code.

QuoteUnfortunately, I'm hoping that editing/updating the Wiki is user friendly. I've never done anything like that before.
Have no fear, it's very straightforward.

The Hitman

Wow, it's been so long since I've thought about the FRWorld Wiki! As it so happens, I can still access the site, and have just bumped you up to Organizer, Cyber. Good luck with the project!

Cyber Burn

Quote from: The Hitman on February 04, 2014, 02:07:55 PM
Wow, it's been so long since I've thought about the FRWorld Wiki! As it so happens, I can still access the site, and have just bumped you up to Organizer, Cyber. Good luck with the project!

Hi Hitman, thank you for adding me to the list of people who can contribute. I've never done anything like this before, so I'm not sure what to do. Can I copy from my PDF files and paste to the site, or do I need to use my Word Documents? Any info you could provide would be awesome. again, thank you.

Epimethee

Quote from: Cyber Burn on February 04, 2014, 02:22:31 PMCan I copy from my PDF files and paste to the site, or do I need to use my Word Documents? Any info you could provide would be awesome. again, thank you.
You can use either, but I suggest starting from the Word document. PDF tend to structure content in a rather illogical fashion.

Cyber Burn

Thanks Epi, as soon as I start feeling better, I'll start working on this.

Groucho

Cyber,

I hope you are able to add some of the stuff you have to the wiki. I hate Yahoo groups with a passion. I have gotten more spam from them then anything. I really want to have this stuff preserved as well so the more places the better in my opinion.

Thanks!
I don't want to belong to any superhero group that would allow me as a member!

Cyber Burn

My intention is to add what I have to the Wiki, but I still have to figure out how it works, and between everything else that's been going on with me, I just haven't had a chance yet. As for Yahoo Groups, I agree, definitely a pain in the tail, but I do try to make my groups as restrictive as possible because I don't want the members of the groups that I started to receive spam.

Cyber Burn

So I made my first attempt to update the Wiki last night, and I realized that I had no Idea what I was doing, very frustrating.  :banghead:

Epimethee

Did you sign in at the top right and check the help in the signed-on menu?

Cyber Burn

Yeah, it says that I'm signed in, I hit the "Edit" button, but really, I have no clue how to set up links to the information I want to add.