Netflix is making Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, AND Jessica Jones shows!

Started by BWPS, November 07, 2013, 07:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BWPS

Quote from: BentonGrey on December 07, 2015, 11:28:49 PM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 22, 2015, 03:22:51 AM
Daredevil was pretty much at my limits of adult content, so I'll pass on this one.  Glad others are enjoying it though.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Glad to hear IF is still in the offing.

Oh if you aren't into adult content you're not going to like what he uses that fist for.  ;)
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Tomato

Be nice BWPS.

Seriously though, I think the "Adultness" of Jessica Jones is being way overplayed. It's actually really solid, and it's actually won over some of my non-comic friends to the dark side of Marvel.

Talavar

Quote from: Tomato on January 08, 2016, 09:00:54 PM
Be nice BWPS.

Seriously though, I think the "Adultness" of Jessica Jones is being way overplayed. It's actually really solid, and it's actually won over some of my non-comic friends to the dark side of Marvel.

Very much agreed.  There's sex scenes but no nudity, some swearing -but less than most R rated movies- and, yes violence, but I don't think anything as graphic as...
Spoiler
Kingpin smooshing that Russian's head in the door of his car.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Honestly the talks about sex scenes made it talk about something more graphic than it sounds like it actually is.  Maybe it might be something I eventually check out.  But not yet, as my Netflix account is not active.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Tomato

Going to go into some detail for those who are worried about the dreaded scenes.

Spoiler
As Shogunn pointed out, the sex scenes that are present serve to advance the story. The main ones people are referring to are two major scenes with Jessica and Luke (there are others, but not nearly as long nor as in-your-face). The first is to establish Jessica's bizarre relationship with Luke, and to showcase her self loathing the day after. The reason for this is plot driven and I won't spoil it, but while I would have preferred it cut down, the dialogue is relevant to her relationship with Luke.

The second, and much more "in your face" scene is later on in the show, after Luke and Jessica realize they both have powers. I can understand where it would be a little much for some people, but I would argue it's even more important. It's the first time Jessica's been with someone she can truly go all out with. Luke is the first person she's known to have powers like her that isn't... well, an evil rapist jerkwad. Their emotional connection is central to the series, so while I think the scene drags on a bit long, it's a powerful moment in their relationship and the scene does have a reasonably funny joke.

And again, while there is no question what they're doing, there's no nudity or anything like you'd get with something like Game of Thrones. It's only jarring when set up against the other MCU properties.

catwhowalksbyhimself

We can now add 1 more Netflix Marvel show to the list--Punisher.

Marvel and Netflix are both apparently REALLY please with his portrayal in Daredevil Season 2 and have started developing a spin off.

http://screenrant.com/netflix-punisher-spinoff-daredevil/

Shogunn2517

HarryTrotter

Just here for Godzilla.Or Punisher in this case.Dont screw this up Netflix!
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

catwhowalksbyhimself

Talavar

Also, they've thrown some cold water on the Punisher getting a show talk http://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-says-it-has-no-plans-for-a-punisher-netflix-show-1760949523, and Iron Fist has been cast http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/25/finn-jones-iron-fist

Casting Iron Fist was always fraught - cast a white guy, as Danny Rand has been in the comics, and it can be an example of the Mighty Whitey trope; cast an Asian actor and Marvel's first headlining Asian hero would be one with Kung Fu power. 

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

I don't know the fellow, but I'm glad they didn't try to switch the race of the character.  I could definitely get into a superhero kung-fu series.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

The whole point is that Danny Rand is an outsider who embraces a cultural heritage not his own.So some changes just wouldnt work in this case.
Jon Farmer

BWPS

I wish they'd made him a Latin American immigrant, they're absolutely underrepresented in both comic books and kung fu mastery.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

catwhowalksbyhimself

They are now apparently casting for Shang-Chi, who will also appear in Iron Fist.

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

GhostMachine

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on March 05, 2016, 05:38:09 AM
They are now apparently casting for Shang-Chi, who will also appear in Iron Fist.

Since its totally wrong to cast a character the right race...well, according to a few people...I vote they make him a black rapper, with Shang-Chi being his stage name.  <_<

Tomato

Meh, even though I'm normally all for changes to race for characters if doing so doesn't really impact the story... I don't really see the problem people have with casting a white dude in this case. Yes, having yet ANOTHER white dude out there when people are really pushing Marvel (and hollywood in general) to diversify their casts with more women and minorities is annoying (and I'm admittedly one of those people), but I think it would have been much WORSE if they'd done an Asian actor... on the one hand, you'd have people arguing that part of Rand's origin is as the outsider to a foreign culture (and admittedly you'd also have people whining that they're just making changes to diversify and generally being racist), and on the other you're arguably MORE racist for casting your first major Asian role (I know I know, Volstagg) as the MARTIAL ARTIST SUPERHERO. There really was no good answer here, and I'd argue that Marvel took the less racist option by keeping Iron Fist non-asian but still taking the opportunity to introduce other Asian characters that wouldn't have as much negative stigma surrounding them. It's the better answer in a no-win scenario.

HarryTrotter

Imagine if they made Luke Cage or Black Panther white.That wouldnt make any sense,right?
Jon Farmer

GhostMachine

When I heard people complaining about Iron Fist being write, my response was pretty much "He's been white since the beginning, so why get up in arms about it on a tv show, you dumb *Samuel L. Jackson's favorite word*s?"

Seriously, the people upset about it are a bunch of idiots. Especially those thinking he should be Asian because its a martial arts character. Typecasting/stereotyping much?

Frankly, they could make him just about any race except an Asian one without a problem, because making him Asian messes with the backstory too much: a non-Asian embracing a mystical, Asian culture.

Shogunn2517

Dude that's not even necessary.  Why would you even think that?

JeyNyce

Guys, this is all just noobs talking trash.  Remember when they cast Heath Ledger as Joker?  Or Idris Elba as Heimdall?  They don't know what to expect so they are looking for something to talk about.  Funny thing is, this is the first time I heard any negativity towards a Netflix/ Marvel show.  Once Daredevil comes out, all of this BS will pass.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

It all comes down to a simple question everyone is asking these days-If they want new heroes,why dont they invent new heroes?They are the house of ideas,right?Or alternatively why not give more room to some neglected heroes?
Jon Farmer

BWPS

Is having an Asian superhero who does martial arts offensive? I mean given we're talking about casting for a show about martial arts. I think it's similar to the way that it's a problem that most black kids in most shows are defined by playing sports and that's messed up, but if you make a movie about sports and you cast black actors, that's not really the same problem. Like minorities should definitely get roles that aren't stereotypical but that doesn't mean they should never get the roles that are stereotypical just to subvert the stereotype does it? I'm not a minority but I like movies where Asians are good at martial arts a lot and I don't think they're bad.

Talavar

Quote from: GhostMachine on March 07, 2016, 07:30:35 PM
When I heard people complaining about Iron Fist being write, my response was pretty much "He's been white since the beginning, so why get up in arms about it on a tv show, you dumb *Samuel L. Jackson's favorite word*s?"

Seriously, the people upset about it are a bunch of idiots. Especially those thinking he should be Asian because its a martial arts character. Typecasting/stereotyping much?

Frankly, they could make him just about any race except an Asian one without a problem, because making him Asian messes with the backstory too much: a non-Asian embracing a mystical, Asian culture.

Why get upset about a TV show?  Because it's much higher profile than a C-list comic book, and the character is another in the long history of the Mighty Whitey, where a white guy not only embraces another people's culture, but just happens to be better at it than them.  Making him Asian has problems of its own of course, as you say.  That's why I said casting him was fraught-it was a lose/lose situation for Marvel.

Quote from: BWPS on March 08, 2016, 02:48:26 PM
Is having an Asian superhero who does martial arts offensive? I mean given we're talking about casting for a show about martial arts. I think it's similar to the way that it's a problem that most black kids in most shows are defined by playing sports and that's messed up, but if you make a movie about sports and you cast black actors, that's not really the same problem. Like minorities should definitely get roles that aren't stereotypical but that doesn't mean they should never get the roles that are stereotypical just to subvert the stereotype does it? I'm not a minority but I like movies where Asians are good at martial arts a lot and I don't think they're bad.

It's a little offensive when it's Marvel's first/only headlining Asian character.  If they had a couple of others out there whose power wasn't martial arts, it would go down better.

Quote from: Spade on March 08, 2016, 11:24:56 AM
It all comes down to a simple question everyone is asking these days-If they want new heroes,why dont they invent new heroes?They are the house of ideas,right?Or alternatively why not give more room to some neglected heroes?

They tried it.  Both Marvel and DC created whole waves of new characters in the 70s, 80s and 90s who were more multi-racial and multiethnic, and it didn't really work out any of those times (with some exceptions, like among the X-men).  New characters are always chancy whether they'll catch on, especially in comics where they are competing with long established favourites, and when the creators were still almost entirely white (and male) a lot of those characters ended up as shallow stereotypes.  Reworking character identities, or changing the person behind the mask in a legacy character sort of situation is the current attempt to diversify superheroes.

Quote from: Spade on March 07, 2016, 06:46:26 PM
Imagine if they made Luke Cage or Black Panther white.That wouldnt make any sense,right?

Because that would be exactly the same!  Remember when racism ended and racial equality achieved?  I must have missed it.

HarryTrotter

Thats my point exactly.
I'm pretty sure that they can all do better then back in the 90's.Real trouble wasn't that heroes were diverse,problem was that they were 90's superheroes.Bloodlines anyone?
But if Valiant and (to a degree) Image can introduce new characters,nothing really stops Marvel.For example,everyone liked Divinity,and hes black and Russian.Just saying.
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

BentonGrey

Punisher looks good, Elektra looks like a Mortal Kombat character, about which I have no strong opinions.

On the character race thing, I think my position is pretty well known.  Characters should be who they are.  If you don't want a character of a certain persuasion, don't put them on the screen.  Of course, Marvel is in something of a no-win position with Iron Fist, but maybe having Shang-Chi in the show will help them win and lose at the same time.  For the record, though, it isn't like we're lacking of entertainment starring Asian martial-artists.  I could totally get into a show that is heavily martial arts, 70s style kung fu and the like.  I would watch the HECK out of that.
God Bless

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Tomato on March 07, 2016, 06:39:58 PM
and on the other you're arguably MORE racist for casting your first major Asian role (I know I know, Volstagg) as the MARTIAL ARTIST SUPERHERO.

I know I'm nitpicking, but it was actually Hogun, not Volstagg, who was cast with an Asian actor.

Personally, I think having Shang Chi in the show really smooths over the complaints to a degree, both because we'll have an authentic Asian martial artist character from the comics (even if he comes off as a bit of a stereotype as such), but also because he is portrayed well and becomes popular he could potentially get his own spin-off.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa