Netflix is making Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, AND Jessica Jones shows!

Started by BWPS, November 07, 2013, 07:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XStream

Had a couple of days off work (thanks to a bacterial respiratory infection), and binged the whole season.

Loved every minute of it.  Wouldn't have wanted to split it up anymore than I had to.  It was an amazing story about a character that I honestly never cared much for (Marvel Cinematic Universe has been very successful at doing that for me).  Marvel's tendency to tell these stories slowly, well-written and character driven is what hooks me every time.  I did feel that they could have revealed the costume in the show a little earlier, and not just for the Kingpin fight.  It would have still been surprising for Fisk to see him in it for the first time.  It was some of the best TV I have ever seen.  I am definitely looking forward to Season 2 and the rest of Netflix partnership with Marvel.

Spoiler
And Ben's death totally caught me off guard.  I kept expecting something to happen that would keep the Kingpin from killing him... I was shocked when the episode ended with him motionless on the floor, and again when the next episode picked up at his funeral.  I love being shocked, but I hated to see the character go.

I want to give it less than a 10, but I think I am going to give up and give it an XStream rating of 10/10.
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

HarryTrotter

Apparently Punisher already debuted.Hes the driver of the truck in Winter Soldier.The one Fury comments has a special set of  skills.Makes sense,I guess?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

lugaru

Finished Daredevil on Friday and figured this is the place where I would come to rant and rave.

- The show is oppressively, comically dark in terms of photography. I don't mind but I often caught myself thinking "Matt is blind, and so are you viewer!"
- The show is just adult enough without being too gratuitous, except the violence which does often go the extra mile to gross you out.
- The action is excellent, at times it does look a little stunty but for the most part it is heavily inspired by the realism and fluidity of Oldboy and modern Asian cinema. As in one guy cant beat up 10, but if he did, this is what it would look like.
- All performances are great, and characters really do play a role. I was a little surprised how little womanizing there was for a Matt Murdoch centered show... what do you mean the women are competent, capable and don't just fall into bed with him?!
- Kingpin seems a little exaggerated and hammy at first... but in the end it pays off as he becomes a real super-villain.
- The mix of darkness, grittiness, plausibility and stylized action givers Nolan a run for his money... on the small screen.
- My only real letdown was the last episode. I feel like Kingpin emerged as a menacing, larger than life figure and Daredevil emerged as Michael Keatons Batman. He looked a little stiff in that suit whenever a stunt double was not flipping around. Still very satisfying overall.

Shogunn2517

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/jon-bernthal-daredevil-season-2-cast-1201515649/

And it looks like Daredevil will probably get a little darker.  The Walking Dead's Jon Bernthal will be the new Punisher.  This is on the heels of (failed??) negotiations with Jason Statham to play the role of Bullseye and reported  screen test of actress to play Elecktra.  I don't know if this means they are going a different direction or it's just an added storyline, but I'm looking forward to it either way.

spydermann93

Supposedly Mysterio is going to make his grand debut, too! :P

I'm excited to hear that Punisher is showing up! I think that it will be a great way to introduce him before giving him his own series (which is happening!).

I can't wait!!

bat1987

HarryTrotter

Unexpected choice for sure.I dont watch WD so I cant judge.
Wonder if Punisher is gonna be a war veteran in this version?
Jon Farmer

detourne_me

I think it's pretty great casting, Berenthal was just great in Fury, very unsettling.   I really feel like he's the first Punisher that actually has some acting gravitas to him. I know Ray Stevenson is great, but he didn't have much to work with. 

Distorto

I just finished the Daredevil series and it was definitely better than I expected.

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

BWPS

For some reason not knowing anything is just making me more excited.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

I know nothing about the character.  The one I'm really excited about is the Heroes for Hire one.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: BentonGrey on September 26, 2015, 04:46:20 PM
I know nothing about the character.  The one I'm really excited about is the Heroes for Hire one.

There isn't a Heroes for Hire show.  There are separate Luke Cage and Iron Fist shows.  Or maybe you mean The Defenders?

HarryTrotter

I guess the story will be completely original,since the stories from Alias are pretty much unadaptable  in this setting.
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Spade on September 26, 2015, 05:06:48 PM
I guess the story will be completely original,since the stories from Alias are pretty much unadaptable  in this setting.

I am not familiar with Alias, but how?  Unless it's special effects, we're talking on online platform with no censorship other than what Netflix itself imposes.

HarryTrotter

Well in one story she searches for Rick Jones,another involves Spider-woman and mutant growth hormone.Most of them deal with elements that dont exist in MCU.
Discovering Captain Americas secret identity isnt really hard here.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

As David Tennant is playing the Purple Man, I think it's pretty clear that at least part of the story is being adapted directly from the comics.  For those interested:
Spoiler
Jessica Jones first tried to be a classic superhero, but the Purple man used his abilities to mind control her, and make her attack the Avengers.  The reaction to being mind controlled and the beatdown by the Avengers is largely why she gave up superheroing to become a detective, and why she has some issues.

catwhowalksbyhimself

They've already said the story will revolve around that basically, and it looks like there will be lots of flashbacks to her superheroing days.  David Tennant's also playing the Purple Man and I can't imagine that not being good.

BentonGrey

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on September 26, 2015, 04:57:28 PM

There isn't a Heroes for Hire show.  There are separate Luke Cage and Iron Fist shows.  Or maybe you mean The Defenders?

Hmm, really?  I thought they were in a show together.  Ahh well, maybe they'll work up to a team-up.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: BentonGrey on September 26, 2015, 07:05:38 PM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on September 26, 2015, 04:57:28 PM

Hmm, really?  I thought they were in a show together.  Ahh well, maybe they'll work up to a team-up.

They are.  The Defenders with all four of the Netfilx heroes.

Luke Cage will also appear in Jessica Jones.

BentonGrey

Ahh, I see.  I thought that the Defenders would be more like the comic team.  Ahh well, thanks for the clarification. 
God Bless

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Talavar on September 26, 2015, 05:37:04 PM

As David Tennant is playing the Purple Man, I think it's pretty clear that at least part of the story is being adapted directly from the comics.  For those interested:
Spoiler
Jessica Jones first tried to be a classic superhero, but the Purple man used his abilities to mind control her, and make her attack the Avengers.  The reaction to being mind controlled and the beatdown by the Avengers is largely why she gave up superheroing to become a detective, and why she has some issues.

That actually sounds quite interesting... as a premise.  I doubt they'll follow that exactly, but as a basis, it's an interesting angle.  Wonder where they'll go with it and how much Movie-verse will be integrated.

Talavar

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on September 26, 2015, 09:44:27 PM
Quote from: Talavar on September 26, 2015, 05:37:04 PM

Spoiler

That actually sounds quite interesting... as a premise.  I doubt they'll follow that exactly, but as a basis, it's an interesting angle.  Wonder where they'll go with it and how much Movie-verse will be integrated.

Me as well.  The first Jessica Jones story arc ties in with both Daredevil, Luke Cage, Captain (then Ms) Marvel and Captain America (all of whom are fair game potentially), but it also revolves around Cap having a secret identity, which in the MCU, he's never had.  It'll be interesting to see what they do.

HarryTrotter

I dont think they can retcon her into Avengers in this case.I also think they will focus on the Purple storyline,which is the best one IMO.
Offtopic: Who owns movie rights to Marvel UK characters?I think Fox because of Excalibur,but Im not so sure.
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Marvel should still own all of those.  The movie deals all specified that Marvel get the rights back if no movies were made and since none were, Marvel would have the rights back by now even if they had ever sold them.  Only Mutant or F4 related character should be exceptions.

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on September 27, 2015, 05:15:39 AM
I dont think they can retcon her into Avengers in this case.I also think they will focus on the Purple storyline,which is the best one IMO.
Offtopic: Who owns movie rights to Marvel UK characters?I think Fox because of Excalibur,but Im not so sure.

What do you mean, 'retcon her into Avengers?'

catwhowalksbyhimself

Her background doesn't have her joining the Avengers as her backstory, but getting into a fight with them.  Which would fit the timeline perfectly well here, although I still suspect they won't do it.

HarryTrotter

Ok,I read Alias a long time ago so the details are a bit foggy.But I still think the Avengers angle will be hard to work in.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Yeah, I don't think they'll have the Avengers, but they're definitely having Luke Cage and Purple Man, and I could reasonably see them having Daredevil as well (though they may hold off on that for the time being).