News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Help with FFX 3.3 and VPMAX

Started by zaku77, December 14, 2013, 12:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaku77

Hello, I've been trying to get VPMAX to work alongside FFX 3.3 for several hours now, I've tried to just extract the VPMAX files into the FFX folder, extract it into a Data folder within FFX, tried using m25genlang several times with both of the methods and they've never showed up. I assumed that maybe it was drawing the data for the voices list from FFVTTR itsself so i installed VPMAX into the game's folder. It works when i play the base game now but still doesn't show up when I play with FFX 3.3. If anyone can please tell me if an actual way to get the two working together exists and give a simple guide on doing it i'd very much appreciate it. Also if this matters at all this is a copy of the game via the original Disc and not Steam.

stumpy

Welcome to FR, zaku77!

I am probably not the best person to answer this (I haven't installed VPMAX and haven't installed any voice pack in a while), but I will relate a couple things that may be worth checking.

First, I think that installing the sound files in the ../Data tree will work. It should also be possible to install them in the ../Custom tree, but mine are in the ../Data tree.

Second, generating language files is a nice touch, but if the voice packs are correctly installed, it isn't totally necessary. The game will give voices names based on the filenames of the installed voice files, if those files are where they ought to be. They won't necessarily as nice as what you would get with updated language files, but I always worry about that last, once everything is functioning properly.

Third, I don't know if CQ included the objects.dat and characters.dat with just the entries for the voice packs or if he included full FFX3.3 DAT files with those entries already merged into all of the other FFX data. IMO, the former (merge-able DATs) would be the more flexible way to do things, since merging those files wouldn't result in lost customizations to the current FFX DAT files, it would work with later (or earlier) releases of FFX, and it could be used with any campaign mod. But, the latter (pre-merged DATs) is the way that might result in slightly easier installation for people who haven't customized their DATs (e.g. they haven't added their own built-in characters via EZHero, etc.).

NB: For either of the following cases, if you have customized your built-in FFX toons or added new ones, you will want to keep backups of your current versions of those files. Frankly, I would keep backups even without customizations, in case something goes wrong.

If VPMAX has pre-merged DATs (which I think is the case), then those files (objects.dat and characters.dat) need to be put in the mod's directory for it to use them, which will be ../FFX3. (You may be able to use FFEdit to merge you current DATs with the VPMAX versions and avoid the need to re-add your custom built-in toons.) I am pretty sure you will want to run the FFX Editor to make sure the characters are properly branded after dropping in the new DATs.

If VPMAX provides merge-able DATs, then you should be able to add them by using FFEdit. Make sure the Primary Data Path in FFEdit is the one for FFX3. the Merge DATs button on the first tab of FFEdit, choosing the current DATs as the one to write to and the VPMAX DATs as the ones to read from. Once again, you will want to run the FFX Editor to make sure the characters are properly branded after dropping in the new DATs.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg