I got a challenge for Andrea Romano...

Started by Shogunn2517, October 16, 2013, 06:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogunn2517

Andrea Romano, the Voice Casting Director for DC's animated media.  She's responsible for finding actors for all of the DC characters that have appeared in cartoons(Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Justice League) as well as movies(Superman/Batman, etc).  Most of the time she's found really good actors and has done a great job at consistency and frequency of certain actors.  Using Tim Daly as Superman and Michael Rosembaum as the Flash or Nathan Fillon and Kevin Conroy over multiple media and creations.

However, I just finished watching a special on PBS, "Superheroes: A Never-Ending Battle", which documented the connection of superheroes to American pop culture, society and history.  In of itself was a great viewing.  They had interviews from several figures throughout the industry from Zach Snyder to Jim Sterenko and Joe Simon to Danny Fingeroth and Linda Carter.  Well, every so often when they were describing a storyline, they'd have a personality read a passage.  They had Stan Lee and Dennis O'Neil read certain passages, but whenever they had Batman, whether it was from the original Detective Comics issue to The Dark Knight Returns, they had Adam West read Batman.  And he did it in character.  And I got to admit, he was pretty good.  I know Adam West has done some voice acting but his voice was deep, it has gravitas.  He wasn't over acting, but it actually seemed to fit.  It had familiarity because most, especially at a certain age can readily identiy him as Batman.  It's not like he can't act.  But when he originally did Batman, it was purposely campy.  But ai got to say, I'm curious to see Adam West used in a feature.  If not as Batman/Bruce Wayne maybe another character.  But I actually think he can pull it off.

So yeah.  I'd like to see it done.  I wonder if they'd actually do it?

catwhowalksbyhimself

There were, in fact, some Justice League cartoons done when I was a kid in which West voice a more serious version of Batman--and it was quite good.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

thalaw2

Adam West played the Grey Ghost in Batman TAS (if I'm not mistaken).  It's one of my favorite episodes of the series.
革命不会被电视转播

BentonGrey

Quote from: thalaw2 on October 16, 2013, 10:12:40 AM
Adam West played the Grey Ghost in Batman TAS (if I'm not mistaken).  It's one of my favorite episodes of the series.

Yeah, mine too!  I actually think that was one of the best things he's ever done.  Of course, that makes sense because it came out of B:TAS.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Shogunn2517

daglob

Seems like he was the mayor in one of the animated Batman series, too.

Silver Shocker

I remember enjoying the Grey Ghost episode, and I recall it was done very tastefully. As "campy" as West's Batman was (his Family Guy parody is another story, though I don't remember it ever resorting to Batman jokes) I don't remember any of the official works ever putting it in a negative light. And yeah, he played Mayor Hamilton Hill in The Batman. He also played Proto, the Batman robot, in Batman: the Brave and the Bold (a light-hearted role, but hey, it was a very light-hearted show)

I'm not sure he should have the star role in an DC animated project, but yeah, I think it'd be cool to see him do a serious role in one. I've heard lots of voice over actors do serious and comedic role alike, so I think he could pull it off.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

docdelorean88

I agree. That being said, this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_N9RL1qRWo
is the closest ive seen for what your describing.
(ive got a high def version of it somewhere on my laptop... hmmm)
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"