News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Why, JUST WHY!!!! (FFX releated)

Started by Icefox, April 19, 2013, 09:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icefox

Man,  wish i was getting back into  :ff: instead of  :ffvstr:. Nothing but problems. First the pink issue that happens often and now i just noticed something with the shapreshifter/astral and maybe even inner spirit. Why is the damage for temporary forms, nearly cut in half? It ruins almost everything about ffx. Take for instance. Johnny storm can have a fire blast that does 60 dmg, when I shapeshift into Human torch form.. It only does 24.. This happens across the board where damage on all attacks are severely reduced... astral projection forms, I can't even tinker with it anymore. Just sucks to have jean grey all modded to have a two cool phoenix transformations but now, it's all waste cause she cannot even do any decent damage to kill anything. Can anyone help me out!?
Umm yea something goes here right...
[img]http://hiei4.homestead.com/files/icefox500.gif[/img]

spydermann93

This is for :ffvstr: , right?

I don't think I have ever had an issue with Shape-shifters like you seem to be experiencing. I'll test it in-game and see what I get.

As for the "pink issue," are you referring to the occasional error where a certain hero has a pink tint when they are up against certain characters, or even all of the time?

If so, the simple solution would be to turn off "gloss" in the video options menu. It's quick and simple, but I personally don't like the loss of quality on certain meshes when gloss is turned off as some meshes lose a lot of their luster.

A method to fix that is to simply convert all skins into .dds format. If that is too cumbersome of a task (i.e. you have way too many meshes and skins and not enough time), then just convert the skin files that give you such errors.  It will take some searching, but it will reduce your workload by quite a lot.  Whenever I install a new mesh to :ffvstr: , I first convert the mesh and get rid of any ghosting issues that the mesh might have, and then I move on to converting all .tga files to .dds files so that there won't ever be any skin complications.

Icefox

Yea, this is for  :ffvstr:. I wouldn't mind converting them,  the pink isssue is starting to become problematic.(Not sure how to do it tho) I'm not sure what's up with shapreshifter. I just noticed after all this time and I have no idea what it could be. Let me know what if you find anything

spydermann93

I just use Paint.NET for my converting. It's simple and it does the job well.

You could also use Photoshop (if you have it) and use the DDS plug-in for photoshop, but I found Paint.NET effective enough.

I'm not sure what settings you use for the Photoshop version, but in Paint.NET, when saving the file as a .dds, choose "A8R8G8B8". You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Icefox

TY.. now if I can just solve my shapeshifter issue.. everything will be grand again. I cannot even touch the game until I figure it out  otherwise it's just going to bug me. A part of me feels like when I transform, I'm not using the higher cp abilites (like from +1-5) but I really don't know what it could be tbh

spydermann93

Which meshes are you using? I'll see what happens with meshes that I have and I'll come back with results, tomorrow.

And I know what you mean about an issue bugging you. Once I find an issue, I have a very hard time letting it "slip by" and I can't play until it is fixed or I find a good enough work-around, haha.

Epimethee

Regarding the low damage output of temporary forms :

It's been quite a few years since I looked into it, but IIRC there is indeed an issue with shapeshifting : when generating characters through scripting in-game, the power level is ignored and all powers are set to level 0... Yup, one of the numerous game-engine bugs. I guess we could rewrite the powers' intensity on the fly to compensate, but  there might have been a gotcha preventing it from working.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Icefox

Quote from: Epimethee on April 20, 2013, 07:32:24 PM
Regarding the low damage output of temporary forms :

It's been quite a few years since I looked into it, but IIRC there is indeed an issue with shapeshifting : when generating characters through scripting in-game, the power level is ignored and all powers are set to level 0... Yup, one of the numerous game-engine bugs. I guess we could rewrite the powers' intensity on the fly to compensate, but  there might have been a gotcha preventing it from working.
omg why!!!!! I put so much time and now I just want to  :banghead:. *sigh* I also take it, there's no fix for this either... since it it was known, probably would be a thread about it somewhere...... hope there is though. I was considering reversing it... have human torch shapeshift into johnny storm, so  johnny is the weaker of the two forms.. alas I cannot even do that because the game will most likely shapeshift into the form i don't want them to be in..arg!!! why must this be. My battles were so epic until i realized characters like psi-lord, phoenix... were being taken out quite easily. dammit! arg.. so ticked

spydermann93

In the .m25ai file, you can just delete the shape-shifting line and they'll stay in their original form.

At least, that's what I remember one being able to do.

Icefox

Yea I'm going to have to do something... pump up my summons to extreme power so they can do some damage.. reverse my transformations and remove shapeshift from the ai file.... figure out an alternative to jean grey>phoenix>dark phoenix.... and professor x + magneto to onsalught. I have been putting some serious hours into getting this game up and running like I want. It sucks that the damn templates spawns from shapeshift.... do crap damage. This just became a workload (not to mention the pink issue) that i'm just grrr about. This problems didn't happen in  :ff: did they? The shapeshift has been around for a long time... it must be something going on with  :ffvstr: specifically. I know i didn't have the pink mesh issue in  :ff: so who knos

hoss20

You may want to try Accidental Change (along with Involuntary Form). In FFXEdit, you can then change what causes the original form to change and then what causes him to change back. I don't know if the effect on the "changed into" form is the same as with Shapeshifter, but if it is, you can certainly make some adjustments to prevent the hero from changing at the wrong time. Obviously, this will only work for a character that has only one other form to change into, but I would imagine it would help with the Human Torch problem you were worried about.

Tomato

no, the pink issue is just a factor in  :ffvstr:, because the game engine was changed to use dds format rather then tga.  :ffvstr: can still use tga files, but because they aren't the primary game format it won't always load them all properly. That's why some skinners who work exclusively in ffv3r format (AA being the most notable) actually release their skins in dds format already.

Icefox

Quote from: hoss20 on April 21, 2013, 04:02:52 AM
You may want to try Accidental Change (along with Involuntary Form). In FFXEdit, you can then change what causes the original form to change and then what causes him to change back. I don't know if the effect on the "changed into" form is the same as with Shapeshifter, but if it is, you can certainly make some adjustments to prevent the hero from changing at the wrong time. Obviously, this will only work for a character that has only one other form to change into, but I would imagine it would help with the Human Torch problem you were worried about.
The damage is still cut seems like more than half. Not sure how i'm going to get around it. the tga pink mesh isn't to much of an issue.. seems to have more frequently on big scale battles (as well as a weird ghosting effect on multiple enemies using the same  custom mesh) Grrr.. this is so going to bug me. I swear, either I was to young to notice back in 03 or the reduced atk dmg is primarily due to something in  :ffvstr:

Previsionary

It's been a while, but I think AI damage and HP are tied into game difficulty as well. So if you're playing on very easy, the AI will do very little damage.
Disappear when you least expe--

daglob

Sometimes the "pink" issue is related to missing glow or reflection textures (it's an 'X' in FF). As I've said: I've got black textures for the general run of meshes (Male Basic, Belt, Alpha, all the caped meshes, Taskmaster/Mistress, Female Basic and all, VX). I just copy them into a folder that's missing them. I've started doing .dds versions also.

You might check the lightmap, too.

Sometimes it's a memory issue and I have no solution for that.

That's how it is with my clunky old computer, anyway.