News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

limit to builtin powers?

Started by blackjacket, July 23, 2012, 12:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackjacket

Hello all,

I've been adding a bunch of builtin powers for my characters.  however, I just recently ran into an issue where some melee/ranged powers are NOT being added to the powerids list when I run the powerids generator.  This is having a negative impact on my characters' ai of course.  I have already checked to see if the m25aidata script was messed up. It wasn't.  I also checked the ffedit entry to the power and it's just fine.  I know that it is an issue with the readpowers function because I made another script using that function and it has the same problem with the same powers.  the weird thing is: when I changed the powers name, it worked fine.  However, another power that worked before became 'unreadable'.  is this an issue anyone is aware of?

stumpy

I haven't heard of this before, though it's possible after all this time that the DAT parser is tripping over something in your powers.dat file. When you say the readpowers function, is that its actual name? In which file is it defined?

I wrote the Campaign_ReadPowers() function in datfiles and there was no explicit limit on the number of powers it could read. M25 added 300 "dummy" powers to the standard FFX list (the zzz### powers) so that custom characters' powers (copied temporarily into those slots) could gain some of the benefits of built-in powers (particularly analysis and triggering with scripted AI). It would be possible to run up against that limit if there were too many custom heroes (or maybe if their power names were the same as those of built-in powers). But, it wouldn't seem that adding built-in powers would cause an issue with that, once again excepting possible name duplication.

It's also possible that there is a limit in the engine's python interpreter, though that seems a low probability suspect for this issue.

A very real possibility is that some of the scripts are having difficulty with a power name that has an unusual character in it. Do any of the powers fit that description?

How many powers are in your mod (that is, in the Powers and Defences tabs in FFEdit)? What size is the file? It seems like a few mods (like Benton's DCUG perhaps) would have run into any problems with a limit on the number of powers.

BTW, which game (FF or FFvT3R) is this for?

This does not affect area or direct powers?

Is there anything of potential interest in your script.log file?

FFEdit has a function to clean up DAT files. It may be helpful to run that on the powers.dat file. It may rid it of "dead" entries that can accumulate.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg