News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

RIP: Ray Bradbury

Started by Glitch Girl, June 06, 2012, 02:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

Ray Bradbury passed away this morning.  He was 91.

Article here
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Deaths Jester

This was a sad day for those who enjoyed well-written genre fiction.  It a true loss.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

thalaw2

R.I.P.   I would go so far as to say that FR would not be here today without Ray Bradbury....at least he has affected a lot of our interactions whether we know it or not.
革命不会被电视转播

DireWolf

I can remember reading his stuff when I was a teen, nearly fourty years ago.... my how time flows by.

cmdrkoenig67

lugaru

So just wanted to add: Next In Line f'ing traumatized me as a youngster. It takes place in my native Mexico, and involves the Guanajuato Mummies (corpses preserved by the composition of Guanajuato soil). A tourist slowly becomes obsessed with them, thinking that something awful will happen to her while she is in Guanajuato and her husband will bury her in that soil and she will become one of them. It is paranoid, claustrophobic, the story slowly smothers the reader as you watch the main characters nerves and health fail. Man...

Other than that, amazing science fiction writer as well.

BentonGrey

Hmm, I missed this.  I'm deeply saddened by his death.  Ray Bradbury is the reason I became an English major, pursued my education in literature, and his work lies behind a great deal of my teaching, at least in one important way.  When I was a kid I read Fahrenheit 451, and for the very first time I was struck with the idea that the books I devoured were important, not just fun or interesting, but vitally, crucially necessary to the health of our culture, our very soul.  Rest in peace sir, and thank you for showing an idealistic young man what was important in a world full of competing ideas.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/