News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Last of Us

Started by captmorgan72, June 15, 2013, 05:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

Is anyone playing this? I'm a couple hours into it and its really good. I would expect nothing less from Naughty Dog.

Podmark

I have!

This was one of my most anticipated games and it is amazing...but so far I'm a bit disappointed. It's not as fun to play as Uncharted or Batman, and so far, and I'm only 30% in, the story isn't as strong as I expected. Hoping for bigger and better things in the rest of the game. I'll let you know.

The graphics and sound are top notch. Crafting system is well done.

My first encounter with the infected in the collapsed building was a harrowing experience and when I finally finished it I had to take a nice long break. Very tense game.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Outcast

This game has piqued my interest because it got so many perfect scores and great reviews. Though there was one comment from Gamespot that mentioned some glitches in the game concerning combat and the enemy AI.

QuoteThe biggest problem with combat in The Last of Us, however, is how often it breaks its own rules. Mutated zombies called clickers have finely tuned ears that hear your quietest movements. And yet, your companions speak all too loudly near enemies or stand blithely in the open, all while the grotesque monsters obtusely ignore them.......Problems do exist that lessen the thrill of the fight. Your enemies are not the sharpest people around. Hide behind a corner and snap some poor sap's neck, leaving his lifeless body on the ground. When the next guard walks up, you might expect him to sound the alarm upon seeing his friend. But he often doesn't care, and so you kill again. Other times, you may be dramatically strangling a man only a few meters away from a living guard, and yet you remain unseen.

So..i'm having second thoughts on picking this up.

Podmark

I definitely recommend the game. The production values (graphics, sound, writing, tone etc) are through the roof. Easily the most immerse game I've played. The weak spot for me is the story, it's fine and well written but doesn't hook me the way I was hoping. I mentioned above that it's not as fun but it's a survival horror type game, it's meant to be tense and immerse, not the run and gun antics of Uncharted.

However, the Gamespot's comment is pretty much true, at least at the normal difficulty...but it's kinda a good thing. The companion AI isn't smart enough to not do stupid things so the game is programmed to not penalize you for their minor blunders. Not perfect, but it works. I suspect the enemy AI gets less forgiving on the higher difficulties. Even at normal I find the larger enemy encounters pretty challenging and several of them have taken me multiple tries.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Outcast

Quote from: Podmark on June 16, 2013, 07:24:51 AM
I definitely recommend the game. The production values (graphics, sound, writing, tone etc) are through the roof. Easily the most immerse game I've played. The weak spot for me is the story, it's fine and well written but doesn't hook me the way I was hoping. I mentioned above that it's not as fun but it's a survival horror type game, it's meant to be tense and immerse, not the run and gun antics of Uncharted.

Why do you think the story is weak? Too barbaric? Why isn't it fun for you? Is there little action in it? Are the controls difficult and unresponsive sometimes?

Quote from: Podmark on June 16, 2013, 07:24:51 AM
However, the Gamespot's comment is pretty much true, at least at the normal difficulty...but it's kinda a good thing. The companion AI isn't smart enough to not do stupid things so the game is programmed to not penalize you for their minor blunders. Not perfect, but it works. I suspect the enemy AI gets less forgiving on the higher difficulties. Even at normal I find the larger enemy encounters pretty challenging and several of them have taken me multiple tries.

Hmmm....i hope it's not unforgivingly difficult. I'm all for a nice challenge but if it's too much...

Podmark

The controls are excellent, and there's lots of action but I try to play stealthy as much as possible. The game is fun just not take on twenty guys fun like some games. Honestly I'm really enjoying it, spent almost all my free time playing it. It's a slower paced game. If there was ever a game that made you feel like you were living the zombie apocalypse this is it.

The story is good, it's just not drawing me in like I hoped it would. Considering the rest of the game is all 9 and 10s, the story is an 7.5 so far. It's largely just going from point a to point b with some good dialogue about what's happening. For what it is it's really well done story, characters feel very real, and the dialogue is good. Maybe it's missing a villain, or some intrigue or something. Still I'm only 50% through the game, the best could still be coming. A strong ending could turn me right around.
It's an M story for sure, but the game is essentially a zombie apocalypse story so you really can't expect anything less.

The normal difficulty isn't too bad. I'm a bit of a casual gamer and I'm getting through it pretty well. Often it's just changing up strategies that makes all the difference. You can really choose between stealth and shooting.

It's a game of the year contender for sure.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Outcast

I see. You've got me almost convinced. This would definitely be in my top list of games to buy next.  :) I can wait till you finish the game, if there's anything more you'd care to comment or add too.  :)

thalaw2

i'm considering getting this game when I get my new PC.  It's exactly the kind of game I want to test out my rig.
革命不会被电视转播

bat1987

Quote from: thalaw2 on June 19, 2013, 02:03:32 PM
i'm considering getting this game when I get my new PC.  It's exactly the kind of game I want to test out my rig.

I thought it was PS3 exclusive?

captmorgan72

Quote from: bat1987 on June 19, 2013, 04:07:54 PM

It is, there is no pc version.

Podmark

I just finished the single player game, and any prior complaints were wiped away by the end. It was an excellent game that will stand among my favorites.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

thalaw2

Quote from: captmorgan72 on June 19, 2013, 06:35:26 PM
Quote from: bat1987 on June 19, 2013, 04:07:54 PM

It is, there is no pc version.

D'oh!  I should have paid more attention to the review I read.  :doh:
革命不会被电视转播

captmorgan72

Wild. I just discovered that the actor that voices Joel also voices Joker from Batman:Arkham Origins and Nightwing and Sinestro from Injustice. Crazy how they can sound so different.

detourne_me

Quote from: Podmark on June 20, 2013, 03:09:54 AM
I just finished the single player game, and any prior complaints were wiped away by the end. It was an excellent game that will stand among my favorites.

I just beat it too.   Yeah,  it's pretty amazing.   Up there with Red Dead Redemption, and the Uncharted games.
One of the most satisfying games I've ever played really.  The story, controls, difficulty, graphics, gameplay...all top notch.