News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

[FFX] How do I use Summon?

Started by davy jones, May 15, 2012, 05:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davy jones

How do I use Summon? I see no panel that changes the summon, or name? Where do I set what object to summon?

There is no 'Papa Legba' and his 'Zombie Teeth' attack

captainawesome

First you create a character with the summoner attribute (let's call him hero 1), then you create a character to be summoned (hero 2). Hero 2 must be created with ffedit, to my knowledge, a custom character will not work (although, hero 1 can be a custom). Then make sure you change the AI on hero 2 from 'generic hero' to 'cop'. Then open up the ffx control center to hero 1, scroll down to 'summoner', select hero 2 to be summoned, save, and it should work.

davy jones

And you say this will summon my minions instead of limey lure?

captainawesome

Yes, it should, but let me know if it doesn't work.

davy jones

Well it doesn't. I throw the grenades and they summon those decoys!

captainawesome

:banghead: Ok, that's the problem. Summoner doesn't work like that, sounds like you have an explosive projectile that has a limey lure damage type, Correct? To summon, you use the ffx commands. That will cause your minions to appear. Two things about your current method A. ffx doesn't work with explosive projectile, cone, area, or direct attacks, only melee, beam, projectile (no aoe), and (in some cases) special. B. I don't know of a way to replace what spawns when a limey lure power is used, that doesn't mean there's no way, it just means I don't know of one. In any case, try using the ffx commands, this attribute doesn't need you to make a power for it.

hoss20

Actually, I think the problem is that Davy is using the "Summon" attack power swap and not the attribute. For this to work, make the character you want to be summoned, for example, "Minion". Now, you already have a character set up to use Limey Lure. Captainawesome is correct that for this power to be used in a swap, that it must be  a melee, beam, or nonexplosive projectile attack. Open up the FFX Control Center app and find your hero you want to do the summoing. On this character, scroll down to "FFX CHARACTER STATE CUSTOMIZATIONS" and click the drop down on the left. Find Limey Lure, then on the right use the drop down to find Summon. Click save. Then you need to find the ffxcustom.py file in the FFX Scripts folder. Mine is here C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx3\Missions\Scripts. You can open this file up in Notepad so that you can edit it. Scroll down towads the end and look for FFX_OBJECT_TEMPLATE. You should see this:
FFX_OBJECT_TEMPLATE=[
["default","ffx_ice_patch"],
["types","lObject Template"],
["liberty_lad","ffx_marbles"],
["papa legba","zombie"],
["abraxas","Transmute Type"],
]

Here's the Papa Legba you were looking for. I couldn't find this character in my FFX either. So, now, enter in your character and his his minion in the same format,so it will look like this:
FFX_OBJECT_TEMPLATE=[
["default","ffx_ice_patch"],
["types","lObject Template"],
["liberty_lad","ffx_marbles"],
["papa legba","zombie"],
["abraxas","Transmute Type"],
["summoner","minion"],
]

Obviously, replace "summoner" with your character and "minion" with the summoned character you have set up. Make sure that your entries are spelled the exact same way they are spelled in the game, including capitalization. Once this is done, go ahead and save this file making sure you save it with the .py extension. Hopefully, this does the trick. Ive never used this particular swap, so let us know how it goes. If you want to use the Summoner attribute, that's set up a little differently.

davy jones

Thanks man, that helped!

Can I assign multiple summons to customs via files? So I can summon 3 types of units with different abilities?

hoss20

I'm not sure if you can. I don't see anything in the FFX manual where you can use multiple effects for the same swap and for Summon, there is only the one power, Limey Lure, that can be swapped for Summon. The only way it might work is to set up more than one "minion" for the same character and FFX may randomly use one the different minions. Give it a try, but don't be surprised if the game crashes or defaults to the first "minion" swap you have entered. The Summoner attribute, however, is specifically set up to do this and you can set up three different characters to summon.