News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Game solo-able?

Started by ZozmaSage, March 29, 2012, 09:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZozmaSage

I tried getting into City of Heroes years back (don't remember what issue they were one, but architect wasn't out yet) and got turned off by both my inability to get into a group and my inability to really get anywhere *without* a group. When it comes to mmorpgs I am (ironically) drawn to how solo-able the game is, hence why I love Champions Online so much. Overall, has City of Heroes become more solo-able since the last time I played? Can I go through most missions by myself with most character builds? I know it's free to play at the moment and I could test for myself, but I'd rather hear what other people had to say before I dedicated any time to the game.

catwhowalksbyhimself

First of all, there's a group of us who play regularly in CoH, so getting a group really shouldn't be an issue for you.   It's also quite easy to get on teams anyway, especially if you are willing to lead them.

The game also has a sizable base of dedicated soloers anyway.  But if you didn't enjoy the solo experience before, I don't think that much has changed there, but plenty of people find it quite easy to solo.

Regardless, look me up if you decide to try it again.  If you use you old account, you should have access to tells, so look me up as @catwho.  If you have access to global channels, we have one that I can get you into where we frequently organize teams and play together.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BlueBard

I got my first 50 largely on soloing and PUG's.  He was an Illusion/Empathy Controller.

Of course I never got a second 50, so there is that.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

JKCarrier

I solo most of the time...you can easily get to the level cap (50) without ever teaming up. There are "task forces" and "trials" that require a team, but they're completely optional.

Some archetypes (classes) are easier to solo with than others, but you can always dial down the difficulty settings if you run into trouble.

Raptor

I'll have to echo JK here.  It depends greatly on the kind of character you start with. Some archetypes are extremely difficult to solo with (ie controllers) while others seem almost designed for soloing (ie scrappers).  What kind of character were you trying with before?  If you need help or pointers, just look for us in-game. Most of us are on Freedom server. Let us know if you decide to jump in. We are all willing to help out in anyway we can (except FI, of course  ;)).
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/pitbull_1973/CoH/forum_sig_banner.jpg[/img]
Capt. Conduit - Demonik - Candi Stryper - Arctic Pyre - xx Raptor xx - Ehrlicht - Feral Feret - Chemotherapist

ZozmaSage

I ended up signing up for VIP and joining the Virtue server. I'm an energy/energy blaster, pretty similar to my energy/fire blaster from before. I'm doing fairly well so far, methinks, though CoH takes some getting used to after playing Champions; having no means to block or heal myself will take some getting used to.

I'm particularly interested in the Architect, one of the only things CoH has exhibited that I feel Champions lacks. We'll see if I can't make something of worth with it.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Most of us play on Freedom as a group (although some members do play on other servers too) so if you make some characters there, we will be able to play with you.   I personally do have some Virture characters, although I rarely play them, and only 2 are higher than level 2.

Since you said you re-upped as a VIP, feel free to join us on the FR and NRF channel.  I can give you an invite, if I have your global.  Mine is @catwho, so feel free to look me up.

And enjoy.

As for having no means to heal yourself, that's what inspirations are for.  You can buy healing inspiriations from any hospital now.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

ZozmaSage

I'm enjoying my time with the game so far, much moreso than I did a few years ago. After doing a little bit of research I can appreciate the massive backstory the game has to it. It feels like a much more developed world than Champions, though the lighthearted, nonsensical storytelling of Champions appeals to me, too.

I remember while playing CoH originally I felt like I was just a sidekick and errand boy to the author avatar's of the devs. This time around I don't feel quite like that. As with Champions, I feel like I'm a mover of the story (insofar as that's possible in an MMORPG), and not just some supplementary background hero that is to Statesman what, say, Dove is to Superman.