The Lone Ranger

Started by Panther_Gunn, January 18, 2011, 11:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panther_Gunn

The Lone Ranger.  From Walt Disney studios.

Quote from: Johnny Depp"I always felt Native Americans were badly portrayed in Hollywood films over the decades. It's a real opportunity for me to give a salute to them. Tonto was a sidekick in all the Lone Ranger series. [This film] is a very different approach to that partnership. And a funny one I think."

.....wait, what?  Funny?   :blink:  Why am I getting that all-too-familiar twisty feeling in my gut?   <_<
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

BlueBard

Let me guess?  They're going to reinvent the legend so the sidekick gets the credit they richly deserve, right?

As long as they're not casting a comedian in the part of the Lone Ranger.  Otherwise, I know where I'd like to tell them to put a silver bullet.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm fine if they give Tonto a more prominent role and emphasize the two as partners and best friends.

I'm not fine if they go messing with it beyond that.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

thalaw2

I hope they don't have Native Americans sitting around their village speaking broken English.  Now that I'm older I see just how terrible that was. 

Since it's supposed to be funny...I'm guessing something like Shanghai Knights?
革命不会被电视转播

lugaru

I would like it if they go like Brotherhood of the Wolf (if you have not seen this film rent it tonight!) where the native sidekick does a little bit more butt kicking but they are both incredibly proficient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSjvrlDxlaQ

With Kato and Green hornet it does not bother me though, since Kato was played by Bruce back in the day.

Tawodi Osdi

As a native American, I would like to see an Indian in the movies with more than one dimension.  As an interesting note, I have heard that Clayton Moore had wanted to give Jay Silverheels a little more prominence, but it was the studio that nixed the idea.  The biggest problem I have is that last attempt to revamp the Lone Ranger was a complete disaster.

detourne_me

Did someone already mention the documentary Reel Injun on here yet?
If you haven't seen it i highly recommend you check it out, a real nice representation of Native Americans in film.
If I'm not mistaken Depp does have some native ancestry so I don't see him really playing up the stereotype in a negative way.
...but i do see him playing up stereotypes in his own way.
They're really going to have to get a leading man or director strong enough to rein Depp in.
Depp's acting recently has been quite wild, like a stallion.
Whoever is the lead hand on this project is sure to be a real dark horse.

yell0w_lantern

Quote from: lugaru on January 19, 2011, 12:55:49 AM
I would like it if they go like Brotherhood of the Wolf (if you have not seen this film rent it tonight!) where the native sidekick does a little bit more butt kicking but they are both incredibly proficient.

With Kato and Green hornet it does not bother me though, since Kato was played by Bruce back in the day.

If that's all you know about the Green Hornet then you don't know the Green Hornet.
Yellow Lantern smash!

BentonGrey

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on January 19, 2011, 12:46:21 AM
I'm fine if they give Tonto a more prominent role and emphasize the two as partners and best friends.

I'm not fine if they go messing with it beyond that.

Agreed.

Quote from: Tawodi Osdi on January 19, 2011, 05:46:02 AM
As a native American, I would like to see an Indian in the movies with more than one dimension.  As an interesting note, I have heard that Clayton Moore had wanted to give Jay Silverheels a little more prominence, but it was the studio that nixed the idea.  The biggest problem I have is that last attempt to revamp the Lone Ranger was a complete disaster.

Yeah, I'd love to see Tonto get some development and be a partner, not a sidekick.  A few years later, Van Williams (the Green Hornet himself) would fight a similar battle to get Bruce Lee more prominence in their show.  Thankfully, he had a decent amount of success, though the show ended shortly thereafter, despite being a very solid success.  It's a real shame, but I do still love those old Lone Ranger shows.  They are good, clean fun, and I really respect the way that Clayton Moore approached the character.  If they don't find a worthy successor to him (and I don't know where they would, 'cause he was quite a guy), I might pass.

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on January 19, 2011, 03:43:33 PM
Quote from: lugaru on January 19, 2011, 12:55:49 AM

If that's all you know about the Green Hornet then you don't know the Green Hornet.

Yep.

You know, I'm a real fan of the classic pulp and radio heroes, as well as having LOVED the Lone Ranger TV show when I was a kid.  I would really enjoy it if they put together a great new Lone Ranger movie, but if they go a similar direction to the Green Hornet, I'm afraid that wouldn't cut it for me.  I'm hoping they'll end up with something that isn't geared for comedy, nor super grim and gritty.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Courtnall6

Yep...The Lone Ranger minus his usual blue attire. After only one "sneak peek"...my interest in this film has already begun to fade. Well done Hollywood. Well done.

Now if the rumors of Ranger and Tonto vs Werewolves are true...I can just kiss off this film completely.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

lugaru

I would still kind of prefer a good movie about the real lone ranger, Bass Reeves.

Panther_Gunn

I'm willing to continue to hold out hope.  Hope that this shot is not a reflection of what he wears for the bulk of the movie.  Historically, what, if any, uniform did the Rangers wear at that time?
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

catwhowalksbyhimself

There better not be werewolves. What is is that hollywood thinks that Western heroes need to have supernatural elements?  First there was Jonah Hex and now maybe this.

Hopefully, it's just a rumor.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BWPS

I'm never going to watch another movie with Johnny Depp in it again. Hold me to it, guys.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

thalaw2

That picture looks terrible!  I'm a big Lone Ranger fan and even saw Clayton Moore in a Parade once (I don't think he was riding the original Silver though....too many teeth) and it was one of the highlights of my youth.  I really think this is one that Hollywood should leave alone.  Although....I really liked the Green Hornet movie (Am I the only one?) and I guess since the Lone Ranger is the Green Hornet's great uncle (I read wikipedia) you can't have one without the other.  If this movie can be as good as Green Hornet then I'm all for it!

革命不会被电视转播

JeyNyce

Green Hornet wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't a Green Hornet movie.  It was a cop-buddy movie.  I expect some funny moments, but I hope that the story stick with the history of the Lone Ranger
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!