News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

*Doesn't have a witty Title*

Started by vamp, February 19, 2012, 01:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vamp

So seeing everyone else draw, and do redesigns or original designs has inspired me to redesign my avatar.

Spoiler

I couldn't find my art pencils so I just used a mechanical pencil + eraser. Hopefully posting here makes me draw more often.

I have to say I was quit inspired by Juancho's redesigns and Naitvalis' design of his own avatar and the mask he drew for outcast.

I know its not very good, but critiques are more than welcome.

Outcast

Well,I like how you managed to blend in the "V" logo in the costume which looks like...body armor (maybe made from kelvar or something like that). I also think the bat head symbol on the belt is a nice touch.  The bat looking mask is pretty unique too. If it's purpose is to scare the thugs/villains he fights, i think it will do the job.  :cool:

I'm interested to see how the costume looks colored though. Have you already thought about it?

So is he like Batman? A hero who uses hi tech weaponry? What's his background? :)

naitvalis

hey vamp! it look like a more "modern" design,  the mask is a black chiropter face,and look much more extremized then your classic avi (wich have a very good design and color to).
i like it even more if you transfer the "kevlar texture"on the mask to, but this is only a matter of tastes.
by the way this is  an  interesting development of your avatar.

vamp

Thanks for the replies guys.

This version of my av is a far more modern take than Unko's amazing design for Vamp. (I like to refer to it as Golden Age.) The "bat looking mask" is actually his face in a leather mask.

Basically Vamp is a project to form assassins with characteristics of animals. He was formed from the DNA of a bat (the Egyptian rousette to be precise). Being the first of various, he was simply the prototype. However, due to the heavy influence of the bat DNA he looked far more animal like than desired. This coupled with his lack of wings caused him to be locked away and considered a failure. One of the trainers for the successful creations took pity on him, and trained him in martial arts to past the time. The man would eventually free him simply telling him, "Run."

As far as powers go, he is similar to Batman, but a bit more like Banshee. His powers are sonic in nature, and using a mic in his mask, he is able to amplify his powers and direct the blast from his hands. He is also able to change the frequencies causing various effects.

As far as colors, I'm a boring man. I was simply thinking black and gray. Possibly some highlights of Gold for the "V" and belt.

Hmm.. maybe I will draw some of the successful ones..

PreRaphaelite

Hey, that's a pretty funky group of designs there, Vamp. Your avatar certainly has a history to him, and I look forward to seeing how you express that in your final design. While personal designs such as this are intrinsically subjective affairs, I think you're right to try a modern approach to the character. It would be cool to see you turn a character whose look could easily be interpreted in a theatrical/pantomimic manner into something sleek and edgy instead.

Because 'Vamp' is going to have a very visible and eye-catching 'abnormality' as it is (the face of a bat) I would perhaps shy away from over-accessorising him. I like how you've done this in the lower image, focusing on a simple body-armour type of costume. But if you're thinking about adding something like a cape (which could come off a bit too old-school), maybe consider swapping it for subtler, more 'contained' alternatives, such as the sophisticated neck apparatus that amplifies his power, or a stiff cowl-neck (which could be lowered/raised to cover the mouth when needed). And if you do go for the black/grey/gold(yellow) colour scheme, play around with it - look at their use in Batman's costume, then try to completely reinterpret them with your own vision in mind. Otherwise, I think you're on the right track here.  :)
Yours sincerely, Judi Dench.

Outcast

Thanks for sharing the background story of your avatar Vamp.
It's really interesting to know that his face actually looks like a bat instead of a custom bat face mask. I also like your idea of having a mic to amplify and direct his powers to his hands. I think that's quite unique too. :cool:

The black,grey and gold color theme may seem boring but if they got it to work for Batman....maybe it can work for you as well. :)

vamp

Well, as prem knows, I am working on a little project for no apparent reason. Basically I have 41 character designs I am trying to pump out. It was originally gonna be 1 a day, but I have been late on this last one by like...4 months. So...I am gonna start posting them here. Hopefully one a week. The main goal is to get better at drawing, little by little.

Now, these are just character concepts and I am a horrible colorist, so don't expect to see anything in color anytime soon. Lets get the drawing part down first, heh.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I tried changing the basic pose I was using. This is also, the latest one out of the bunch.

Quote from: PreRaphaelite on February 19, 2012, 11:29:41 PM
And if you do go for the black/grey/gold(yellow) colour scheme, play around with it - look at their use in Batman's costume, then try to completely reinterpret them with your own vision in mind. Otherwise
Quote from: Outcast on February 20, 2012, 03:45:48 PMThe black,grey and gold color theme may seem boring but if they got it to work for Batman....maybe it can work for you as well. :)

I don't know how, but I completely forgot that those were Batman's colors...Back to the coloring board!