Back to Freedom Force (and into FR for the first time)

Started by GamingboyReborn, January 01, 2012, 03:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GamingboyReborn

I only played the first  :ff:, and for some reason I just sort of... forgot about it. But, lo and behold, both games were on sale on Steam over the holidays, so I couldn't help but get them.

Freedom Force, to me, is one of the great underrated games of all time. Good gameplay, fun throwbacks to the Silver Age of comics, and it was made by the same people who would later give us Bioshock (this is not meant to be a slam on Bioshock, FF or Irrational, merely a observation that it is amazing that two franchises that are/were so different both came from the same company and both rank amongst my favorite games of all time).

Ironically, though, I wasn't much involved with the community back during FF's golden age, back when the franchise was truly alive*, but I figure, hey, better late than never. So hello... I'm back. Any suggestions?

*I mean, even if there was going to be another sequel eventually (and in video games, even the deadest franchises seem to come back to life eventually)- I doubt that it'd be anything like the old games. Seems like every game these days has to be one that can be easily ported (and in some cases dumbed-down) to the consoles, and FF always struck me as a quintessentially PC game...

BentonGrey

Welcome back GR!  I'm afraid I don't remember you, but I'm glad you've rejoined the community.  As for suggestions, there are a ton of excellent mods out, an amazing amount of other artwork, and all around more content than you can shake a stick at.  I'd heartily recommend trying out some of the recent mods of John Jr. and the other creators around here.  Also, feel free to find a way to contribute on your own.  We can never have too many creators!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Epimethee

FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

GamingboyReborn

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 01, 2012, 04:12:27 PM
Welcome back GR!  I'm afraid I don't remember you, but I'm glad you've rejoined the community. 

Yeah, that's because I was a lurker. I don't think I ever actually joined.

I'm going to probably finish the campaigns and then dive into the mods. Glad to see that even all this time later there are still lots of them (even if they are pretty spread out). From what I can see, though, everybody here will be glad to help if I run into problems.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

BentonGrey

Yep, there are still tons of mods, and more being made even now.  I will say this, if you play something and enjoy it (and if its creator is still around), the best way to say "thank you" is to offer some feedback. :)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

catwhowalksbyhimself

Ah, I see another victim, foolishly coming to his doom guest, more than welcome in our humble domain.

Don't mind the screams.  It's a movie, yeah, that's it.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

oldmanwinters

Great to hear you're another later comer to the Freedom Force train, GamingBoyReborn!  I only got into this fandom a couple of years ago after I learned Benton Grey was making an amazing Ninja Turtles mod!  I have really come to appreciate the style of the whole Freedom Force universe and really wish they had made an official 3rd entry in the series.  Enjoy your experience here!