News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

I love superheroes...

Started by Lunarkys, November 09, 2011, 12:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunarkys

...but I hate superhero comics.

(If anything like this has been discussed before, I apologise. I did do a quick search.)

Let me explain that rather odd statement.

I am definately NOT an avid comic reader and never really have been, yet I have always adored the idea of superheroes and fantasy.
When I was a little lad, I enjoyed the Xmen tv series, along with the hulk/iron man/f4 triple bill. This led me into marvel ofc and while I never bought every single issue nor any offshoot/related comics, I did love each issue I owned.

Now, fast foward a few years and whilst randomly searching the net, I come across (an old even when I discovered it) animated superhero series.

Justice League Unlimited.

Batman, Supes, WW all together? With other heroes I know nothing about?
SWEET!  :thumbup:

And again tv had led me into comics but this time onto DC.
This whole universe, (and unfortunately incredibly confusing multiple earths etc to learn about!) with fantastic characters to delve into...

Except, for one such as I, aka DC comic newb, aka not gonna spend a small fortune buying multiple titles so I know who exactly is who's Uncle,

Writers SUCK!  :angry:

Just as I find a great character whom I connect with, BAM they die.
Just as I find someone who has frikkin' awesome powers, BAM they kill them.

Seriously, I can maybe understand avid readers getting a bit tired of the goodguys always winning, (even though you darn well shouldn't, as that's what SUPERheroes do!  :P ) but killing someones artistic creation for the sake of 'suspense' or sadness or w/e is rubbish.

There are many,many other ways to spice up your adventure. Yes they may have beendone before, yes that random civilian who I don't care much about dies instead but isn't that just a challenge to overcome?

How exactly is a new reader supposed to connect with any character if they have already died or are in-line to the writer's guillotine?

I dont remember marvel being quite as brutal (or boring...) but perhaps in more modern times this has also changed.

Maybe DC doesnt keep killing everyone, except in Crisis' and it just so happens to be MY FAVOURITE heroes.

Whatever the case, I still say,
kill that random guy we met 4panels ago,
Build suspense with not seeing the badguys until the encounter,
just give me an adventure. Not a bloodbath.

*exhales* that feels better  :D
Encounter: Lunarkys
Type: Stupid Question
Minions: pet_cat
Next: If Answered: Win
Next: If Ignored: Lose

murs47

Are you looking for recommendations?

Lunarkys

Heh well any recommendations couldn't hurt I guess but just wondered what others, mainly veteran comic readers thought of my rant  :P

I am a huge fan of the 90s? Re-released JSA. But again, last I looked online to see what my favs were currently dealing with. Apparently it's mostly death...lol.

Mebbe I'm not cut out for it, (Digs out old Elfquest issues)  :D

lugaru

Well ever since I was a kid I was looking for soap operas with big, building destrying battles, and superheroes still deliver on that. If anything I tend to love a lot of the recent Marvel stuff that is all political and "realworldly" but I do often think it is unfair that so much of the industry caters to adult fans like me rather than a younger (at least at heart) audience.

That said I split my reading half into stuff like Avatar Books, Max books, Vertigo Books... with cursing, sex and violence. And the other half is usually stuff like Teen Titans, Marvel Adventures and other "all ages" books that just pack that pure, happy, wonderful superhero punch.

murs47

Personally, it's up and down with me. I'm sick and tired of the events dictating everything. Events are fun and all, but allow the writers to tell THEIR stories on the titles they are on. Otherwise what's the point? Not to mention how confusing this is for new readers such as yourself. Or for readers that aren't interested in these comic events.

However, there are titles I still enjoy from Marvel and DC. As a new reader you may want to check out DC's "reboot" of its universe. It's currently at month three and I have to admit it has been a pleasant surprise.

There are some one and done stories that may interest you:

All-Star Superman
Superman: Red Son
Superman: Earth One

There's plenty of others, but I'll let others recommend them.

Lunarkys

Quote from: lugaru on November 09, 2011, 01:49:46 AM
Well ever since I was a kid I was looking for soap operas with big, building destrying battles, and superheroes still deliver on that. If anything I tend to love a lot of the recent Marvel stuff that is all political and "realworldly" but I do often think it is unfair that so much of the industry caters to adult fans like me rather than a younger (at least at heart) audience.

That said I split my reading half into stuff like Avatar Books, Max books, Vertigo Books... with cursing, sex and violence. And the other half is usually stuff like Teen Titans, Marvel Adventures and other "all ages" books that just pack that pure, happy, wonderful superhero punch.

That sounds about what I like too see, the happy punch lol. However I also enjoy adult themes, if they are done well... eg. A decapitation followed by "I kill you 'till you're dead" to me is,well, you can imagine ;-p

I do own some pretty cool DC titles, (what I can obtain that is)
And.I think my favourite series I own storytelling wise is prob 52. Yea there was some 'ends' in that but it was handled 1.maturely 2.over a period of time 3.I feel I could quite happily read that characters old comics, with this knowledge and not feel bummed out and 4.there was a nice kinda conclusion.

I understand writing is hard and I'm no picky reader but after seeing at least half my favourites get killed off with no real point...well it hacks me off :-(

lugaru

Quote from: Lunarkys on November 09, 2011, 02:27:08 AM
Quote from: lugaru on November 09, 2011, 01:49:46 AM

That sounds about what I like too see, the happy punch lol. However I also enjoy adult themes, if they are done well... eg. A decapitation followed by "I kill you 'till you're dead" to me is,well, you can imagine ;-p

I do own some pretty cool DC titles, (what I can obtain that is)
And.I think my favourite series I own storytelling wise is prob 52. Yea there was some 'ends' in that but it was handled 1.maturely 2.over a period of time 3.I feel I could quite happily read that characters old comics, with this knowledge and not feel bummed out and 4.there was a nice kinda conclusion.

I understand writing is hard and I'm no picky reader but after seeing at least half my favourites get killed off with no real point...well it hacks me off :-(

You are basically pointing out the different between Adult and Mature, which I totally agree with. I tought it was dumb, for example, when the Sentry tore Carnage in half. Stuff like that annoys me, or stuff like killing a popular X-Man to give a bland story some gravitas.

Even books that are straight up for adults only can be really immature. Preacher is a good example of this... when the book tried to be silly it was a ton of fun, but then it was hard to take seriosly whenever he would move the plot forward. Punisher Max is anohter exmaple... I did not like stories like Baracuda as much because they felt cartoony compared to the other stories. Actually the Baracuda stories with the punisher where ok, but the Baracuda mini was really painful.

Lunarkys

Quote from: murs47 on November 09, 2011, 01:58:15 AM
Personally, it's up and down with me. I'm sick and tired of the events dictating everything. Events are fun and all, but allow the writers to tell THEIR stories on the titles they are on. Otherwise what's the point? Not to mention how confusing this is for new readers such as yourself. Or for readers that aren't interested in these comic events.

However, there are titles I still enjoy from Marvel and DC. As a new reader you may want to check out DC's "reboot" of its universe. It's currently at month three and I have to admit it has been a pleasant surprise.

There are some one and done stories that may interest you:

All-Star Superman
Superman: Red Son
Superman: Earth One

There's plenty of others, but I'll let others recommend them.

Yes! The events! (I apologise as I missed your post before Murs)

I think I'm just going to keep getting the older graphics, after seeing some redesigns of characters the reboot doesn't look appealing to me :-P

I guess I get a little irate sometimes is all. And since posting the topic, have discovered that they constantly bring the dead to life again so I shouldnt be too worried.

Still proves my point about death being used as a cover for laziness mind ;-)

Cardmaster

If you're looking for (currently-in-print) straight-up superhero fun, I highly suggest "Amazing Spider-Man" and "Wolverine & The X-Men." Both are filled with hijinks, comedy, excitement, big battles and just superheroes being superheroes; it's great. The DC side of things has been a little tougher lately, but there are a couple of standouts, including the excellent current runs on "Batman" and "The Flash."

:D

- :cardmaster
Sah-WEEEEET!
www.ericstirpe.com

Randomdays

I'm suprised that you think that you think JLU animated is old as its newer than the Marvel shows you mentioned.

If you're looking for more of the animation insted of the comics, JLU is actually the fourth of a series of modern shows. All are excellent. I'm not up on on the trivia but I think they were calling it the Timmverse due to Bruce Timm's involvement

Batman TAS started it in 92, followed by Superman TAS, Justice League and JLU. There's also a series called Batman Beyond dealing with Bruce being an old man in the future and training a replacement to take over.

Other DC shows included the manga like kids Teen Titans, Static shock, 2 seasons of Legion of Superheroes, Young Justice and the light Batman Team-up show that just ended, Brave and the Bold.

And of course there's tons of Marvel out there besides the ones you mentioned. A Silver Surfer series, a short Black Panther series, other Spider-Man, Hulk, Fantastic Four, X-Men and Iron Man shows out to coincide with the movies. Even a Conan cartoon that Roy Thomas did some work on.

Some of the older shows that are good, from neither DC or Marvel, are the original Space Ghost, Star Trek TAS, Tarzan Lord of the Jungle, Blackstar, Dungeons and Dragons, the original 60's Jonny Quest and Thundarr the Barbarian.

Some of these are already done for FF but it's be great to see the rest.
Check some of them out. If you enoyed the other shows, you'll enjoy these.