ATT: Writers - Proposed FR Writers' Group

Started by Glitch Girl, December 11, 2011, 04:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

That's probably a good idea.  I've mentioned it to the Titans.  I have no problem with anyone registered here seeing our stuff, but I agree that a little security measure can't hurt.

That said, in an attempt to keep the ball rolling, I've set up a roster thread for anyone who wants to participate.  You'll find it here
http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=55128.0
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

PreRaphaelite

We interrupt your daily brainstorming (or 'thought shower', depending on where you live in the world) with this brief sidetrack:

It's a great idea for a Writer's Group at FR, but has anyone considered having an Artist's Group coexist alongside it?

We have quite a strong FR Artist community, from talented novices to exceptional professionals, and just like the writers here, they too would probably do well with a support network full of encouragement, regular exercises and constructive criticism. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to detract from this budding group (being an in-house Editor/Writer by profession), I was just hoping to see people's thoughts on the matter.

The reason I thought it pertinent to comment here is because in the Enrolment thread, somewhere in Forum-Wide Events, BlueBard mentioned:

Quote...it would be a good idea to feel out the FR Artist community and see who has the skill and interest to do eBook "cover" art and include them in our little club.  Anyone interested in trying this route to get published will need someone to do cover art, if only for the catalog.

Other writers have also voiced their desire to start comics or webcomics. From this it seems only natural to me that an Academy of Art (or whatever you want to call it) is at some point established to function independently from, and in collaboration with, the Writer's Group. After all, the more practised the artist, the more impressive the cover. And by working together on something like an illustrated story or a comic, partnered writers and artists would be able to provide one another with additional support, motivation, and that ever-valued extra set of eyes.

Just something to think about. And if anyone takes an interest, I'd be happy to start a new thread for discussion.

We return you now to your scheduled storming.
Yours sincerely, Judi Dench.

BlueBard

Quote from: Glitch Girl on January 03, 2012, 03:10:03 AM
That's probably a good idea.  I've mentioned it to the Titans.  I have no problem with anyone registered here seeing our stuff, but I agree that a little security measure can't hurt.

That said, in an attempt to keep the ball rolling, I've set up a roster thread for anyone who wants to participate.  You'll find it here
http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=55128.0

Reep pointed out at least one submission requirement stating that the work can't be published in its' entirety anywhere on a public website.

Therefore, it would seem to be more than just a good idea to limit writing projects to registered users only, at the very least.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

BlueBard

Quote from: PreRaphaelite on January 04, 2012, 02:42:24 PM
It's a great idea for a Writer's Group at FR, but has anyone considered having an Artist's Group coexist alongside it?

We have quite a strong FR Artist community, from talented novices to exceptional professionals, and just like the writers here, they too would probably do well with a support network full of encouragement, regular exercises and constructive criticism. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to detract from this budding group (being an in-house Editor/Writer by profession), I was just hoping to see people's thoughts on the matter.

Speaking as the guy who breached the subject, I am in favor of the idea.  There is a lot of room for synergy between the two, and a few folks with one foot firmly planted in both camps.  (Looking at you, GG...)
STO/CO: @bluegeek