Create a "Webbed" effect using the Freeze power?

Started by Figure Fan, November 01, 2011, 06:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figure Fan

Is it possible, either through FFX or through some kind of scripting, to 'duplicate' the Freeze power effect, make it a crushing damage type, and then replace the ice cube texture with a web texture?

I guess it would also be applied to other restraining devices that are physical in nature (maybe). I don't really like using mystical stasis for Spidey's webs and Batman's bolas, etc. Thoughts?

bearded

i had better luck using the ffx crystalization and swapping the crystal for a custom made web.

laughing paradox

Is this for :ffvstr: ?

If so, I'd recommend using the Tangle swap. You are able to customize the fx used (any in the Resource section), it knocks flying characters to the ground (instead of them being held in stasis in the air), and the enemy doesn't recharge their energy. This also allows your character to move around. (Like Spider-Man webbing a foe.)

Ranged grapple is much the same, except it also deals damage and your hero is unable to move, as s/he is too busy dealing with the enemy. (Think Invisible Woman concentrating while creating a bubble around an enemy.)

You can find information about this in the FFX manual, under Attack Powers/New for FFX 3.3

Figure Fan

Thank you, both of you. I'll see what I can come up with.

ShawDAMAN

Good suggestions already, what I do for spiderman sometimes is give one of his web attacks high stun along with weaken effect which simulates getting 'webbed' fairly well and stun will also knock flying enemies out of the air. So will 'density max,' which also slows down movement very nicely as if an enemy is tangled (I just don't like how it looks visually.)

Great idea about the 'freeze' power, I just wouldn't know how to execute it.

Figure Fan

Well, I got the tangle swap to work perfectly. Now I want to switch out the "effect_ffx_tanglewire" FX for a custom webbed one (made from duplicating the frozen block FX used for the regular freeze power and making a web texture to fit over it). How would I go about doing this?

laughing paradox

Quote from: Figure Fan on November 03, 2011, 03:31:06 PM
Well, I got the tangle swap to work perfectly. Now I want to switch out the "effect_ffx_tanglewire" FX for a custom webbed one (made from duplicating the frozen block FX used for the regular freeze power and making a web texture to fit over it). How would I go about doing this?

I'm glad you got it working!

Now for you question. I assume you already created the custom webbed FX. (If you didn't, all you have to do is copy the folder of the  FX for that Ice Freeze, rename it something like Webbed_Tangle_fx, use Nifskope to link it to a webbed texture in the "_textures" section, and you're done.) There should be only one NIF file in that folder. Let's say it says "end.nif". What you are going to do is open up your FFEdit program and go to the Resources tab. Click "New" on the bottom, name it something like 'ffx_webbed_tangle', and then search for that new custom web fx folder. Make sure your "Save As" option is set to Nif files, then click the "end.nif" in your Webbed FX folder. When that's all said and done, press Save.

Now.

You are going to open your ffxcustom2.py file in your "FFX3/Missions/Scripts" folder. Scroll down until you find the Tangle section on the page, and input the new information in the appropriate area, the line right before the last square parentheses in that section. ]

So it should look like this:

### Tangle
FFX_TANGLE_CUSTOM=[
["default","effect_ffx_tanglenet",5,"No"],
["types","OTangle FX","iHold Strength","PDamage"],
["avengers spider-man","ffx_webbed_tangle",6,"No"],
]

(I only put it in bold to emphasize that it's the new entry you need to put in). Just be mindful of entering the exact names of your character and the FX you want to use, and to not forget to add that extra comma at the end of your line.

Figure Fan

Okay. That doesn't seem too difficult. The only question I have is really about using Nifskope to link the textures.

Quoteuse Nifskope to link it to a webbed texture in the "_textures" section, and you're done.

This is where you lost me, but the rest should be do-able. ^_^

*EDIT*

Okay, so I unzipped the art.ff folder and looked through it but the game's standard freeze FX (the ice block that surrounds the character) is not in there. Do you know where I can find it?

laughing paradox

You'll find a file that says Art.ff in your Data folder. Copy that and paste it on your desktop. Then rename it art.zip or art.rar. You can now open the file and search through all the art components of the game. (Nuclear Winter's Ice Shell may be what you want, I think?) When you find the foldier you want, place it in your Data/Art/Library/FX/Generic folder with a new name, like Web Tangle.

Now the Nifskope stuff. Click on the core.nif of that Web Tangle folder, I think, and under the NiTriShape 'umbrella', there should be a NiTexturingProperty line. Open that and then a new line pops up with a purple-looking flower. Click on the name there after the flower and you can delete it. This is where you can type the name of a different texture file that will be in the corroborating '_textures' folder, in the Data/Art/library/fx folder. OR, you can click on the purple flower and browse through the _texture folder until you find the right texture. I recommend doing it this way, as you can also preview how the FX will look.

Then save the nif and do what I said in the previous post.

If you have any other issues, feel free to send me a private message.

Figure Fan

Thanks so much LP. I'll PM you if anything comes up.