Xbox 360 or not Xbox 360? That is the question...

Started by kkhohoho, January 24, 2011, 12:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkhohoho

Hey there; in case you haven't read the title, this topic has to with the X-Box 360. Let's get the proper background info out of the way first though; I turned in some games that I had no use for anymore over to Gamestop the other day for some cash; thanks to a deal going on at the time, I was able to get a 50% increase if I opted for  GS credits. I ended with $170+ worth in Gamestop credits, and even though I preordered a game for my DS the same day, I'm still at 140+. And as it turns out, there's a Used, Refurbished Xbox 360 at a GS just six miles away from my house worth $119. (No tax due to using GS credit.)

So, since I clearly have opportunity to finally get myself a Nextgen Console without resorting to paying a really expensive fee, (or even real money,) the question is; should I get it? There are some titles I'm interested in, though my gaming tastes are mostly RPG's and Fighting Games. But, I'm not sure if there's enough games for it that I'd like to justify getting it, and then there's the whole Red Ring of Death deal. Are there some worthwhile games for the system I'm just not aware of? (Other then Mass Effect and SSF4.) Is the Red Ring of Death issue exaggerated? Or am I better off just sticking with the systems I already own? (PS2, PSP, DS, and PC.)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

detourne_me

I may be a bit biased,  but every person I know who's had an Xbox 360 has had an RROD,  but thats only 4 people - including my mom.

Tortuga

I've owned an XBOX 360 for a couple years, and with the newer versions the RROD problem is pretty much gone.  Especially the new slim models.  The most accurate stat I've heard is the old models had a 50% RROD rate, but MS also extended the warranty to 3 years for RROD.  I myself have owned four 360s -- two of them RROD'ed.  Two of them are working fine.  My brother has owned three -- one RROD'ed, the second one had a faulty DVD drive, third one has been great for quite some time.

I would say save up a bit more money and purchase a new model.  You'll get a warranty and far less chance of something going wrong.  Refurbs for 360s are like ticking time bombs.

As for games, I'd highly recommend Mass Effect 1 and 2, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood, and Fable 2 (Fable 3 is not quite as good).  Those are all RPG-type games.  If you want to try shooters, then there are a bunch more which are great.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Tortuga on January 24, 2011, 02:21:47 AM
I've owned an XBOX 360 for a couple years, and with the newer versions the RROD problem is pretty much gone.  Especially the new slim models.  The most accurate stat I've heard is the old models had a 50% RROD rate, but MS also extended the warranty to 3 years for RROD.  I myself have owned four 360s -- two of them RROD'ed.  Two of them are working fine.  My brother has owned three -- one RROD'ed, the second one had a faulty DVD drive, third one has been great for quite some time.

I would say save up a bit more money and purchase a new model.  You'll get a warranty and far less chance of something going wrong.  Refurbs for 360s are like ticking time bombs.

As for games, I'd highly recommend Mass Effect 1 and 2, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood, and Fable 2 (Fable 3 is not quite as good).  Those are all RPG-type games.  If you want to try shooters, then there are a bunch more which are great.

Thanks for the recommendations; really appreciate them. :) Buuut...

A new Xbox 360 would cost 199.99. If I were to cancel my current pre-order and get my money back, and then use a bit of my actual money, then I'd be able to get it, but I don't really want to spend all my GS credit (and then some) on this one system, which also wouldn't include games to go with it. And speaking of those; when I said 'RPG's, I meant more along the lines of J(apanese)RPG's. I've tried, really tried, to get into W(estern)RPG's, but after losing interest fairly quick in Jade Empire, Morrowind, Dragon Age, etc., and then not being able to get any of my money back since no-one around, GS included, lets you turn in PC games, I think it's safe to say that WRPG's just aren't my cup of tea, at least for the time being. JRPG's though; those are a lot more up my alley. (Certain S/TRPG's included.) ;)

Again, thanks for the thoughts, but I'm not going to cash it all in on a system I'm just not sure I'll get my money's worth out of. But, I will take your advice in not at all getting, as you say, a ticking time bomb. ;)

Talavar

If your interest is mainly JRPGs, I wouldn't recommend an Xbox 360 to you.  I'm a big fan of the system, but JRPGs are few and far between on it.

Mr. Hamrick

I'll echo what Tortuga said and add a few things.  The used systems will have smaller hard drives most likely.  You can back stuff up on an external drive but only to a certain amount.  (Think there is a way around the limit but don't recall it.)

I'd save your money up for the new 360.  Trust me.  As for getting your money worth, you will definitely get your money's worth out of it in the long run.  Especially with the Kinect and games like Kinect sports and other Kinect titles.  Even though the Kinect is new, the most of the games on there are pretty good games.  (Most not all!)

And in addition to Tortuga's list of games, I'd add Kinect Sports and Splinter Cell Conviction to that list along with Batman Arkham Asylum.

But yeah, there are not a lot of JRPG related titles so if that is all you want then look elsewhere.  Are there that many JRPGs on any of the next gen consoles?

Uncle Yuan

No idea what a "JRPG" refers to, but I have not had any problems with my XBox.  I am a little discouraged as the list of recommended games seems to be growing faster than I can play them.  Currently enjoying Fallout: New Vegas.  In addition to the games already mentioned, I really enjoyed Bioshock (the first game, never played 2).
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

kkhohoho

Thanks for the comments people. And;

1.JRPG means 'Japanese RPG', though it doesn't have to be made by Japanese. These days, it's more of a certain style of RPG, though the majority are still put out by Japanese developers.

2.I didn't say that I'm only looking for JRPG's; yes, I'm very big on JRPG's, but I'm equally as big on fighting games, preferably 2D-styled ones, like SF4. (Though I'm not sure there's enough good ones on the 360 either.)

And again, it just doesn't seem like it makes sense for me to get a 360, even if I save up to get a new one. After thinking a bit more, there's only 6 games, out or upcoming, that I'd want for it, and that is not enough. And since some of you might be interested and ask for this later, I'll just post up the list here.

Batman: Arkham Asylum (Which I could also get for my PC.)
Mass Effect 2 (Though I'm very wary on that one.)
Lost Odyssey.
Blue Dragon
Super Street Fighter IV
Marvel vs CAPCOM 3 (Which isn't even out yet.)

Again, thanks, but I think I'll be sticking with what I already have. :)

Podmark

And you can get Mass Effect on the PC as well, so that seems another strike against the 360 for you.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Marmeille

I like to play JRPG games too from time to time, it's a nice chance of pace, the problem with JRPG is that most of them never get translated and exported out of Japan and well, buying a japanese console and imported games can be quite expensive, learning japanese is also kinda required  :ph34r:  :lol:

Lost Odyssey is truly awesome though, one of the best game I've ever played, the only other xbox 360 exclusive JRPG games I can think of are Blue Dragon and Tales of Vesperia, and maybe MagnaCarta II, been wanting to try Infinite Undiscovery, not sure it qualify as RPG but it looks good.
Marmeille is the wisest cat ever, EVER!!!
Cool Cape is sometimes made of oatmeal (freaking unstable molecules).
[IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/marma_pix/CivilWarMarm.gif[/img]

thalaw2

I gotta say I loves me some Mass Effect 2.  It's not as in-depth as ME1, but it's still a very very solid game.  I've played both male and female.   My only gripe is that it seems they tried too hard to be different from GTA with respect to dating.
革命不会被电视转播

kkhohoho

Quote from: Marmeille on January 28, 2011, 02:33:36 AM
Infinite Undiscovery

I've heard about that one, and the opinions of it tend to range from 'so-so' to 'PoS', so you might want to stay away that particular title.