News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

PSP Games?

Started by AfghanAnt, January 23, 2011, 04:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfghanAnt

So I just got the PSP 3000 and besides all of the Final Fantasy games (which I bought already) are there any other games I should try or pick up? I'm really all over the map with the types of games I like (casual to FPS). So any suggestions would be great.

kkhohoho

Hm. Your mileage may vary, (understatement,) but you might want to try out the Shin Megami Tensei games. If you're not familiar with the franchise, they're rather hard traditional JRPG's that always use either a modern or post-apocalyptic setting, depending on the game. And demons or some other sort of mystical/extradimensional force/being is/are always involved in  some shape or form. Not to mention the games are dark, and sometimes controversial, in that religion can be (but isn't always) a factor. But overall, the gameplay requires that you know what you're doing, and the stories are among the best of the genre in most cases, and are even fairly unique, if just for the setting(s). But there's a link below to a worthwhile article that'll explain things far better then I ever could, and is a good read in it's own right.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3149411

There's also Valkyrie Profile: Lennith, Lunar Silver Harmony, Tekken 6, and the upcoming Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, in March. Also, I mostly play Fighting Games and RPG's, so that's what all of my references are. ;)

All in all, hoped I could help. :)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

detourne_me

i heard the latest metal gear solid is almost worth buying a psp over.

AfghanAnt

I'm a huge fan of the two Shin Megami Tensei games on DS so that is a great suggestion.

MGS huh? I'll look into that. I played the first one but haven't thought about Snake since.

Thanks. :)

Tomato

In line with the FF games, have you looked at Birth By Sleep, the Kingdom Hearts game? It's one of my favorite in the series.

kkhohoho

I forgot to talk about this last time; since you have a PSP, I assume you have access to the PSN network? If you haven't already played these on a PS or PS2, you might want to pick up Arc the Lad 1&2, as they're available on the network. The 1st is sort of a straight-up SRPG; just battles like you'd find in a Turn0based Strategy RPG, and story sequences. It's okay, but it has it's problems, including being only 10 hours long. (For an RPG, that's very short.) But it's necessary to play it in order to understand what's going on in the sequel, Arc the Lad II. On top of being nearly 5 times as long as the first, there's a lot more to the gameplay; you now have towns, dungeons, a true 'world map', and nearly 60 sidequests via Hunter Guilds. The SRPG battles are still there, but the game's now like a traditional JRPG with SRPG battles grafted on; when you'd fight a Turn-based battle in other RPG's, here, you have a SRPG battle, grid/tiles and all. There's no random battles though; they're all preset, and the battles are rebalanced to be shorter, but more challenging. And to top it all off, the cast is both large and strong, (character wise,) at least once you get into the second game, and the story (again, come the second game,) is a long, somewhat dark affair, that definitely keeps one interested.

In case you haven't guessed already, I highly recommend picking these two games up. :) (You shouldn't try the 3rd, also on the network, unless you like the first two though. Reception to that particular installment is rather mixed...)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

laughing paradox

I remember playing, and enjoying, X-men Legends II game on the PSP. You can probably get it really cheap, too.

Previsionary

Gosh, AA. You just got the thing and guess what was just announced? PSP2 with graphics that'll rival PS3. And why is there no mention of Ratchet and Clank (Size Matters). You people...!
Disappear when you least expe--