News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Elder Scrolls : Skyrim

Started by electro, December 12, 2010, 01:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Phantom Eyebrow

I admit I'm tempted by this.  According to System Requirements Lab though my rig meets the minimum requirements, but not with much to spare.  Is anyone running this on a lower end rig and, if so, how does it perform for you?  (For reference, New Vegas runs lovely on my machine, but I think I've dropped the details levels to do so.  Speaking of which, I've yet to finish that...).

Mr. Hamrick

Okay, I finished the Dark Brotherhood quests last night.  Gonna work on the thieves quest and the mage quests later tonight. 

I'm now convinced that the "Feather" spell is not in the game and has been replaced by "Fortify Stamina" which makes sense since the amount you can carry is determined by your Stamina rating. 

However, the thing with not being able to find a "Chameleon" spell is bothering me somewhat.  As a matter of fact, I've only found a few Illusion and Alteration spells in the game so far.   [Edit] Apparently, there is NO "Chameleon" spell in the game.  Here's hoping that it's part of the DLC that's been teased but not officially announced. [/EDIT]  That said, I have used the Destruction spells more than I ever did in Oblivion or Morrowind.

And JeyNyce, not all of us own PCs and the games that I have bought for my Mac in the past level me very disappointed so I refuse to buy anymore games on my Mac.  My Macbook couldn't handle most games, honestly.  So, I am stuck with the Xbox but not entirely unhappy with that. 

JeyNyce

@Deaths Jester - If you buy the game it will install steam and download it from there, so steam is required.

@Mr. Hamrick - I'm not putting down the consoles ( I'm a 360 owner) I just like the fact that there are mods out there that you can install to make the game play even better.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Tomato

I personally tend to prefer pc to console in 90% of cases just because of mods, but it's kind of to the point where my 2 year old laptop just won't cut it, no matter how good it was when I got it. Thus, I got this one for PS3 instead.

I just got this game today, and I haven't really had time to do more than crack the case on it (the timing happened to coincide with my new RvB S9 dvd coming in). I'm going to be up front and say that this is not a series I have bothered with before, but I have heard nothing but good things about it from people I know, so I decided to give it a shot. I'll express a real opinion when I actually, y'know, do shiz.

lugaru

There are talks of mods on the PS3 and XBOX 360 which is a pretty huge step forward in the evolution of consoles... perhaps the main reason I'm PC only are mods. That means that you might be able to get in on some of the goodies... it has been out for less than a week and I've already seen some cool mods, but I'm doing my "clean" playthrough first.

Mr. Hamrick

@JeyNyce - Not saying you were putting down console gaming.  (You're on my Xbox360 friends list I think).  Just commenting on your statement.

That said, found out that the Chameleon spell is not in the game (or in the construction kit).  Have also learned of a few "item stuck in inventory" glitches (one of them tied to main quest though I've not gotten that far yet).

Thinking I am going to restart my game but will finish the Thieves Guild first.  This will the be second restart and partially for the same reason.  I think I am going to stay away from ALL the guild stuff this time around initially and just stick to the main quest first. I do know a few side quests that I may do early on, though.  Also, debating on playing as an Imperial (which I normally have done in the past) instead of a Breton (which I have done this time around). 

captmorgan72

I have a question for you guys that are playing.
Spoiler
How do you feel about being asked to join the imperials when it was them that tried to have you executed? Even when your name was not on the list, they still wanted to put you on the chopping block. I am strongly leaning towards joining the rebels for this reason. What about you guys?

lugaru

Quote from: captmorgan72 on November 16, 2011, 05:51:02 PM
I have a question for you guys that are playing.
Spoiler
How do you feel about being asked to join the imperials when it was them that tried to have you executed? Even when your name was not on the list, they still wanted to put you on the chopping block. I am strongly leaning towards joining the rebels for this reason. What about you guys?

Spoiler
I would assume that everyone is expected to join the Stormcloaks since it is the cool rebelly group but the character I'm playing is basically a "lawful evil" thief/mage. In other words he upholds the law no matter what, meaning he wont join the thieves guild but has no problem breaking into somebodies house to get proof of a crime and then murdering 'em for a bounty. Playing a "flawed" character I dont feel weird about making poor choices, for example helping out the Redguard woman in Whiterun based on my own probably incorrect analysis of the situation. In other words he is more likely to join a group that beheads people left and right for petty crimes than to join a group of rebels. I started a character who will take the opposite path too... a big tough redguard who is against the empire.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: JeyNyce on November 14, 2011, 11:47:00 PM
@Deaths Jester - If you buy the game it will install steam and download it from there, so steam is required.

@Mr. Hamrick - I'm not putting down the consoles ( I'm a 360 owner) I just like the fact that there are mods out there that you can install to make the game play even better.

Blast it!  Looks liek I won't get to enjoy this game.  Thanks though Jey!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Courtnall6

I recently finished the Thieves Guld quest line. Very cool! The rewards you get towards the end are sweet!  :cool:

Now I just need to be approached by the Dark Brotherhood...and Sheva Darkstorm's journey to the darkside will be complete!  :P
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

captmorgan72

One thing I would love to see maybe in a DLC.
Spoiler
I want my werewolf companions to change into werewolves when I do, if they are my traveling companion. I noticed that they do what I do, I pull out my weapon and so do they, I sneak, and so do they. So wouldn't it make sense that if I change they should too? Maybe the coding would be to hard, I don't know, but it sure would be cool. 

Courtnall6

Quote from: captmorgan72 on November 19, 2011, 07:52:59 AM
Spoiler
I want my werewolf companions to change into werewolves when I do, if they are my traveling companion. I noticed that they do what I do, I pull out my weapon and so do they, I sneak, and so do they. So wouldn't it make sense that if I change they should too? Maybe the coding would be to hard, I don't know, but it sure would be cool. 

That would be cool. I'd also like to see them get on a horse when I do. It just seems cruel to have them huffing it in heavy armour on foot while I'm galloping away.

captmorgan72

Quote from: Courtnall6 on November 20, 2011, 12:58:02 AM
Quote from: captmorgan72 on November 19, 2011, 07:52:59 AM
Spoiler

That would be cool. I'd also like to see them get on a horse when I do. It just seems cruel to have them huffing it in heavy armour on foot while I'm galloping away.
Lol, yeah it is isn't it?

captmorgan72

Well this certainly sucks. I'm about 40 hours in and have been hit with unplayable frame rate drops. I'm on the ps3 and really can't play anymore. I thought it was just me until I went online and discovered almost every ps3 player is experiencing the same thing. I don't think that Xbox players are having this issue, not sure though.

JeyNyce

Quote from: captmorgan72 on November 20, 2011, 09:33:59 PM
Well this certainly sucks. I'm about 40 hours in and have been hit with unplayable frame rate drops. I'm on the ps3 and really can't play anymore. I thought it was just me until I went online and discovered almost every ps3 player is experiencing the same thing. I don't think that Xbox players are having this issue, not sure though.

I'm not sure if the PS3 can install games onto the hard drive like the 360, but they advise against it because that will cause framerates to drop and mess with the graphics.

Mr. Hamrick

Personally, I am hoping that the DLC will somehow further the problems with "The Talmar".  I don't like these guys and the thought of getting to kill more of them would make me a happy camper.

Oh!  And I want to see the Chameleon spell in the DLC.  or more of the potions that turn you into looking like a ghost.  Why can't you make those at an alchemy table. 

And I somewhat expect the "Golden Saints" and "Dark Seducers" to be referenced and perhaps show up in the DLC.  They were enemies in Morrowind and allies in Oblivion so it kinda makes sense.

MJB

I rented this game... big mistake. I really, really, really want to buy it.

captmorgan72

Well, Bethesda's patch seemed to really fix the dropping frame rate issue on my ps3. Iv'e been playing for many hours with little drops here and there, but absolutely nothing like before. Of course, now that I typed this out, it probably will go to crap. :P Anyway, I'm a happy camper again. :thumbup:

lugaru

Quote from: MJB on December 02, 2011, 04:50:41 AM
I rented this game... big mistake. I really, really, really want to buy it.

That reminds me of the "Its always sunny" episode where they try "a little" crack.

JeyNyce

I play other game, but I live Skyrim!

captmorgan72

Finished the main quest and fulfilled my destiny as dragonborn. Awesome game. :thumbup:
Spoiler
You get to travel to Sovngarde and meet legendary heroes of old. Awesome stuff.

lugaru

captmorgan72

Shaboba

The only thing which sucks about Skyrim is playing it on a console + SDTV. Pain. Oh the pain.

Courtnall6

I finished the main quest line...

Spoiler
After all that it was a bit of a let down...I mean...searching for an Elder Scroll...going back in time to learn Dragonrend...trapping Odahviing in Dragonreach...then traveling to Sovngarde to team up with ancient heroes to fight the great evil dragon Alduin.

The "epic confrontation" lasted less than a minute.

The first time I faught Alduin at the Throat of the World, he was a major challenge...I was using health potions and magic healing like crazy just to fight to a standstill. The second go around...he was nothing more than another nameless dragon that I handled with ease. Ah well...the rest of the game rocks anyway. I still have a ton of stuff to do! :cool:

lugaru

Well I've decided with 44 hours I've gotten enough of an "experience" out of my first play through and I'm going to start making some serious headway for the end. I feel like I should not play with any serious mods, or mod the game, until I finish it. With my other future characters I can join a bunch of guilds or whatever.

That said...
Spoiler

The dark brotherhood learned to not wake me up in the middle of the night... if I dont get my 8 hours I get cranky. "Only way you will leave this room is if somebody dies" "Ok, that would be you"

Courtnall6

I've put a few mods in my game so far. The Dragonbone Weapons would be the only "serious mod" I put in so far(I did use the flawless diamond required option so they are very hard to make). The rest are mostly texture adjustments. New ebony armour, dragonbone/scale armour, female faces, water textures, etc.

lugaru

I did do a mod to change the font because the somewhat art deco font the game has just makes very little thematic sense. More recently I swapped the blood textures and put in a modification to the graphics settings.

I really want to download or build a survival mod... After Fallout 3 (with mods) and New Vegas I really find it boring to not have to worry about sleep and starvation. Fortunately right now I'm a vampire so I have THAT need to keep track of.