What do you guys think of Gamefly?

Started by captmorgan72, November 26, 2010, 03:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

Thinking about trying them out. At $15 bucks a month for one at a time, it seems pretty decent. I understand you can keep the game as long as you like. If you play at least two games a month it sounds like it would be worth it. Any of you guys use this service?

AfghanAnt

I've had an account for the last three years and I enjoy it a lot. You accrue points which can be used towards purchasing games which is a nice little bonus.

JeyNyce

I loved Gamefly, had it for a few years.  One of the nice perks is buying the used games very cheap
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

captmorgan72

Just joined them. My first three choices were Call of Duty Black Ops, Spiderman Shattered Dimensions and Transformers War for Cybertron.

Jey, you said you HAD it for a few years, did you quit the service? If you did, why?

JeyNyce

Quote from: captmorgan72 on December 03, 2010, 01:59:42 AM
Just joined them. My first three choices were Call of Duty Black Ops, Spiderman Shattered Dimensions and Transformers War for Cybertron.

Jey, you said you HAD it for a few years, did you quit the service? If you did, why?

I had to quit the service because of finances.  It had nothing to do with Gamefly.  The only thing I recommend is if you have it, use it.  I stopped playing games for a while and had games sitting collecting dust.   

JeyNyce

Also check online for discount codes.  I believe you may find a few at Revision 3 website.

captmorgan72

Well, I am not very impressed with GameFly. I received the first game they sent me, finished it and returned it. It took four days for them to get it. So far it's been 7 days and I have not received the next game on my list. I also thought that they would send games to me in the order that I place them in my GameQ but that is apparently not the case. They sent me a game (not received yet of course) that was number 4 on my list before the 2nd and 3rd selections. I changed my plan from one game out to two. Figured it would work out better that way. Now I am thinking about canceling the service.

JeyNyce

Man, sorry that it's not working out for you.  Dis you at least get a discount?

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: captmorgan72 on December 18, 2010, 09:58:13 PM
Well, I am not very impressed with GameFly. I received the first game they sent me, finished it and returned it. It took four days for them to get it. So far it's been 7 days and I have not received the next game on my list. I also thought that they would send games to me in the order that I place them in my GameQ but that is apparently not the case. They sent me a game (not received yet of course) that was number 4 on my list before the 2nd and 3rd selections. I changed my plan from one game out to two. Figured it would work out better that way. Now I am thinking about canceling the service.

Netflix has kind of spoiled us - they have such a huge library and distribution network that they can (almost) always get you your next movie and have a two day turn around.  For smaller companies with three distribution hubs and smaller stock levels, this level of service is really hard to duplicate. 
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

catwhowalksbyhimself

I agree with that.  Netflix has a distribution center in every major city, a fast turnaround time, and a huge stock.  Seven days actually is't so bad if you don't have all those things.

I only play PC games, though, so this service is not something I would ever use.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BlueBard

Imagine if Netflix got into the game rental business?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: BlueBard on December 20, 2010, 04:50:17 PM
Imagine if Netflix got into the game rental business?

Honestly, I don't know why they haven't.  Most of the late brick and mortar movie rental places did.  It seems a logical extension to the video market.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."