Blood Moon over, and a review of this year's event (had a few changes)

Started by GhostMachine, November 02, 2010, 07:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostMachine

Blood Moon ended with this morning's maintenance, which included a small patch (the patch had a few animation fixes and a change to Ego Sleep's animation).

For this year's Blood Moon, they added action figures of the 13 Undead heroes, which had to be assembled like the Winter event heroes. 3 parts per figure, meaning 39 total parts. You had to do the freeing the heroes crypt missions to get parts (they'd be a reward for clicking the altar at the end of the mission), and unfortunately you could get the mission for the same part over and over again. (I know someone who kept getting Firefight's head as a reward) Couldn't drop the mission and pick it up again or get it in a different zone, because you'd get the same part again.

There was a bug that would occasionally list the device associated with the undead hero as a mission reward. (You wouldn't get the device as a reward, because it shouldn't have been listed) To get a device, it would be a random reward from the open mission loot after defeating the hero. Level 40 heroes had a better chance at getting a device as a reward and would always get a blue item as a reward for that open mission (though it could be a bauble purse or other useless bag), so fighting the heroes was good for farming items to disassemble for crafting materials (I got several of the Greatfuls for Arms and Science from the mats; Don't have a lvl 40 Myst hero, so I gave those items to two other people I know). If you weren't 40, you could still do the heroes, but I don't know what level you had to be to get a device (lowest I've heard is 28, but I don't know if thst is true), and you could get greens or lower as OM rewards.

Didn't do any of the Hunter/Werewolf PvP, but from what I've heard the last two days it wasn't even worth attempting.

Now, for the bad news:

Takofanes' loot is still bad. Unless you placed first, you'd get junk more often than not, and sometimes you wouldn't get any loot at all despite placing on the OM list. Had that happen a lot. I never finished first, but I did finishing 4th or 5th a few times, and around lvl 10 a lot. The best drops I got were Servitor Serums (not the recipe to make them, though) and the recipe to make the throwable zombie bones. Didn't get the Zombie Foxbat AF, and it *may* have been an even rarer drop this year. (I only know of 3 or 4 dropping while I was playing) I didn't get the AF last year OR this year, and I've done around 80-85 Tako fights total.

They left the Celestial Endowment mission in as a requirement for the In Memoriam perk....but didn't leave the mission in the game. Fortunately, some people still had it on alts from last year and shared it. (They've said that will be fixed by the next Blood Moon)

Only 12 of the 13 undead hero figures could be completed. The Johnny Hercules mission was bugged and would not award action figure parts. (Again, will be fixed by the next Blood Moon)

If anyone is playing or will be playing in the future (new or returning), I put a few zombie costume parts in the FS sg vault, but I didn't get any extra action figure parts or devices to share. I didn't do the crypts a lot and only completed about 4 or 5 of the action figures, and a lot of the action figure parts I got through trades or as gifts from people who had extras. I'll try to get some spares to toss in next time.

Supposedly Blood Moon is going to happen around every full moon (for 3 days; the day before, day of, and day after) rather than just for Halloween, but I'll believe that when it happens. They said that was the plan last year, so excuse me if I'm skeptical.

UnkoMan

Wow, I totally missed this. But also, I didn't much care. I'd already beaten the zombies and Tako, so I had my fun last year. And getting a new prize after playing through those boring crypts a billion more times? No thanks. I thought the amount of time you had to play through the same crypt was already a big complaint last year, and so they up it?

Oh well, whatever. I was way more interested in that new adventure pack anyway... which I ought to get around to playing.

GhostMachine

The crypts weren't worth doing unless you were after the perk titles or the In Memoriam perk. I was able to complete 4 or 5 of the 13 Action Figures (only 12 of them being completable due to Johnny Hercules being bugged) despite only doing 3 crypts, thanks to trading, buying a couple of parts, and some friends.

I spent most of my time farming the heroes for loot while waiting for Takofanes to appear, and managed to acquire a lot of blue items I broke down for materials. I gained enough Greats from Arms and Science to get the plans for the Arms crafted leg accessories, Science crafted back and a couple of Science devices. Sent most of the blue Myst items I got to two other people, because my highest Myst hero is 31.

There are plenty of AF parts, completed action figures (they're not bind on pickup when completed) and devices on the auction house, and suspect the prices will go down to a more reasonable level eventually. The prices people are trying to charge for the devices are laughable and the action figure parts are too much for new players to be able to afford. I saw someone trying to charge 50,000 globals for one of the devices, and another one is averaging a 10,000 global asking price!

lugaru

I hope they deliver on this happening every full moon, it would make the game more interesting (especially if they experiment a little, like changing random New Purples into werewolves or whatever). It would also suit my style of play... beat a few crypts every full moon rather than marathon gaming.

Valandar

I should note I got a Tako AF as my drop on the very first Tako I fought - and as I got there at the last minute, I was only at 5 pts participation, and next to last in the standings...

I also got drops from LAST year's Blood Moon - the costume unlocks for the gloves and the Zombie Head. But neither one worked!
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. ...All right, hand me the bomb."  - Ultra Magnus

No, I am NOT accepting suggestions or requests at this time.

GhostMachine

You always get the Tako AF from your first Tako fights, as its one of the perks/unlocks for helping defeat him.

But the Deathlord has a chance of dropping a rare as sin Zombie Foxbat AF. So you have to check the sport where he was defeated, not just the spot where Tako's throne was. From what I have been told, the Zombie Foxbat AF apparently goes straight into your action figure list instead of your inventory once you pick it up.